Home Technical Talk

Interesting UDK problem.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
luge polycounter lvl 4
I ran into a tiny little issue on one of my projects, and its an odd one for sure. For some reason, my dominant light only bakes outside of the lightmass importance volume. I've tried replacing the volume, I've tried replacing the light... niether work, I've baked without the volume, and it worked fine, so whats the deal? I've tried googling the problem, and haven't found anything. I also deleted all the lightmaps/shadowmaps and nothing...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/luge_dalanza/LightmassProblem.jpg

as you can see in the image, its baking outside the volume instead of inside...

originally this was working just fine, but I decided to change my lighting, and it broke the volume apparently. help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    A similar problem was had here on a project. Time ran out so we just threw away the volume and lived with the lighting time hit
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I guess i'll have to go with that, I have a few days till turn in, how long did that take and how complicated was the scene?
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    It made a big difference, and we're talking a massive city scene. But it's hard to say how much difference it did make because it wasn't working with the optimization in place.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Not sure if this would matter, but when you build the lightmassimportance volume are you on CSG 'Add' or 'Subtract'? Because if you are on subtract, it may do the inverse of what you want. I would make sure you are on CSG ADD when you build the lightmass importance volume, then try re-baking.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    well, i did figure out the problem, and its a pretty stupid problem that I'm surprised I didn't see. There was a pesky little bsp that was facing outward from the scene, so most of the time I wouldn't have noticed it, but It was blocking my lighting. No clue how it got there but the problem is fixed and the lighting has been built. Thanks for the help though guys. and I think that idea jordan probably would work in future reference if this pops up again and its not a bsp.