Home Technical Talk

How many maps/ textures for main character?

Kyle_butler
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Kyle_butler polycounter lvl 11
Hi. This is my first post in polycount.
I'm curretnly working in my graduation project(a 3d animation) and in most of my searches I ended up being redirected to this forum. I finally decided to register, being part of this commmunity.

In my first topic, I'd like to know if any of you guys can clarify this matter: I've recently watched uncharted and god of war documentaries and I was impressed with the number of textures the main characters have. "Somewhere between 20-30 textures per character".

I'm really amazed by this number. I mean, there is the diffuse map, the occlusion, the normal, the specular; but which are the other 16? My only guess would be some blending normal maps for raised eyebrows or snear, but even so...

If anyone has an idea of how this is actually made or how the shaders set up, I'd really appreciate your answers.

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    There's all sorts that it could be.

Head/body are usually on their own maps, so that's maybe eight right there if you have diffuse/alpha, normals, spec/gloss, illumination or SSS. Some games go further and have e.g. head/body/arms/eyeball, so it adds up quickly.

Hair/fur is sometimes on its own sheet, especially likely if it uses its own shader and pass.

Maps for damage wear/tear and water/fluid effects can require their own diffuse, spec, gloss, and normals (maybe one alpha texture to show where it happens, specific to your character, then a number of generic and tileable smaller textures blended over the top).

You might want texture ramps, you might have additional gear or clothing attachments that have their own maps.
  • Kyle_butler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyle_butler polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the answer. That really makes sense. I didn't take the acessories and hair into account.