Home Technical Talk

help with sculpting ground in ZB

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
Hello!

Ok, I'm starting to make a map in UDK, and since this is mostly for practise, i'd like to explore other workflows that i'm used to.

I'd like to start with creating ground stone blocks texture, with small patches of grass here and there. Something similar to this:

No1-subordinate-tomb.jpg
901207788-Old-stone-pavement.jpg

Now, i usually just do quick photoshop for it, but i'd like to use zbrush this time to create this tileable texture.

So, i'm thinking of doing similar approach as this Naughty Dog tutorial here:
http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/environment-with-tate-mosesian/

Basically, you create several small bricks, and then put them together and generate all needed maps.

Now i have a feeling like this takes quite some time to make and am thinking if there is any way to speed up this process, but still using zbrush and actually sculpt it.

Also, i'm not sure how would i approach those small grass patches between the cracks....do i make stone texture like that tut in ZB and then use photoshop to paint over grass patches, or is there a somewhat fast way to actually use grass inside zbrush, like, you put actual 3d grass between the cracks on sculpted stone block floor mesh....to later generate normal map out of all this....

So basically, i would like to get some ideas how to approach this.
I have seen some people doing something similar and end result is very impressive (but they do they time to sculpt both stone floor AND grass)....as i said, this is try to implement ZB into my workflow, especially if i can make those things relatively fast.

Tnx and cheers!

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For the stones, only sculpt a few versions. You can then vary it up by rotating the model around and switching the noise/color.

For the dirt/grout, a plane will do the trick. You can either sculpt/paint in the grass (depending on your requirements), or you could try playing with Fibermesh to create some plane geometry for the blades.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looking at your reference I think you are best of not including the grass on your tilable stone texture but rather use another texture to blend it with your stone one. You can than always decide to add some real grass patches later on.

if you really want to be fast than you can just grab a texture of a brick floor, make it tilable in photoshop and than render your maps from that (+ layer paint it with a grass/rubble texture).
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx all!

MisterSande, yeah, i actually do that, i was just thinking if i can maybe get better results with not too much more time....

Also, did you mean as in, have separate stone and grass textures, and then use for example heightmap or normal map of stone to blend those too or something similar?