Home Technical Talk

hard 90 degree corner

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
capturepgt.png

I have this mesh here its somewhat modular, its for the top of a keep, and this will work for straight bits, i want to use the same piece for corners to save time modeling out a whole unique mesh and texture UV space.

For the life of me no matter what i try i cannot bend the mesh to a 90 degree angle i've used path deform, bend modifier, rotating the verts. I know its not the function thats the problem, its probably my geo and or the process in which im trying to bend it.

Similar to what Mick Jundt did http://mickjundt.com/content/fantasyEnv (bottom of page)

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    When you say you can't do it, you mean that it looks like rubbish don't you? Not that it functionally isn't happening, just that it doesn't look good?

What do you want it to look like? If you want a nice, smooth curve then you may need to add more verts to the corner-to-be mesh before you bend it (and those arches will need fine-tuning afterwards).
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes I do wonder why I bother, but, select one side, detach to element, rotate, slice, delete excess, weld.

cornergif.gif

Or for a smooth corner, as kurt mentioned, more geo.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    Fwap wrote: »
    Similar to what Mick Jundt did http://mickjundt.com/content/fantasyEnv (bottom of page)

Instead of trying to bend it, add a Symmetry modifier and rotate the mirror 45 degrees. On this page he even says that's how he did the corners on his window.

As for the other things he's doing, he's working with instances of decimated, sculpted meshes out of ZBrush to build low polys over. Note the two million tris in that screenshot. You're trying to go the other way around as far as I can tell.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys thanks heaps for the tips, i had a total fucking brain freeze that day, i can't believe how fucking close i was, i was doing what Adam kindly made a gif too <3 but i wasnt detatching the object and was thinking, oh em geeeeee im so close but if only i could control the pivot to the individual selections.

Nah srsly thanks guyz