Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Painted Textures

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
MrRik polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone,

After seeing alot of threads about people making textures i tried it myself. I'm trying to get a full set of textures (stone,wood,sand,water,lava) for an upcoming game im busy with. So C&C are always welcome :)

JLTx3.jpg
KHAdE.png

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    if you're using inner glow or bevel on tilable textures you gotta fix the seams they generate. either by merging everything, using offset and using brush to fix them, or by creating two flat versions of the map:

in addition to having one map with seams on edges you offset all the layers 256 pixels in both directions and then flatten everything. then offset back and you will have a second version where edges have no seams but there are seams in the middle. combine it with the first version and you got a clean texture.

actually, you can avoid lots of that crap by using inverted, negative shapes and putting outer glow or outer bevel on them, instead of using inner effects on positive shapes.
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the advice Blaisoid i'm going to try this out when im home :) will post it when its done!
  • jmg06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmg06 polycounter lvl 5
    For the lava texture I would try to make it so that the lava and the rocks look like one part. Now it looks like the rock float above the lava. Also the edges of the rock look very jagged/crispy/pixely(ifthatstherightword). Make them more smooth.

The second one looks to noisy for my taste. It looks like old paper right now.

keep on working!
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    QmGul.png

Well i succeeded in making it tiling [thanks @blaisoid!] but im having the greenish rock that is to repetitive so im going to edit that. Next up im going to try to make the lava texture better :)

Edit: wow i see that the copy line gonna edit that.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    if you're using inner glow or bevel on tilable textures you gotta fix the seams they generate. either by merging everything, using offset and using brush to fix them, or by creating two flat versions of the map:

in addition to having one map with seams on edges you offset all the layers 256 pixels in both directions and then flatten everything. then offset back and you will have a second version where edges have no seams but there are seams in the middle. combine it with the first version and you got a clean texture.

actually, you can avoid lots of that crap by using inverted, negative shapes and putting outer glow or outer bevel on them, instead of using inner effects on positive shapes.

also to get rid of the borders created by layer effects, if you pad your art on the outside of the shown area, the layer effects will take effect on the whole layer, not just whats in canvas. so you can crop your layer effected area to the exact size of your canvas, then slide it over, select a one pixel lip on each of the four sides and using transform (ctrl t) stretch that pixel row out as far as you need to make a buffer for the layer fx, then slide the layer back into place, your layer fx should move smoothly off the edge of the canvas onto the hidden pixels off canvas
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    Another texture ive been working on today. This one worked out quite well.
    mb2f8.png
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you forgot the stars! , but ya better than the others
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    you forgot the stars! , but ya better than the others

you mean like this?
    OOs4B.png
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEEEHHHAAWWWWWW

(fun fact, i was born and raised in a small place called "Dixie County Florida")