Home General Discussion

Gifting 3D art?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I was recently approached from some guys in Poland who saw one of my environments and asked to use it in a game they're working on. They say they'll credit me in the game, of course. However, the game honestly looks pretty terrible; [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-XbkBAIhKs"]here's their intro.[/ame]

So I feel I have a couple options.

1) I've never seen people try to acquire other people's art. Is this common and if so, should I hold out for a better game?

2) I literally just finished my undergraduate degree three days ago so now my aspirations are professional employment. Would a credit like this be a huge asset toward that goal?

3) They want the maya, photoshop and UDK files. Should I gift the files and enjoy the credit, try to sell the files or try to bargain for a position on the team?

4) I could just walk away from this whole thing.

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I was in the middle of writing up specific replies to each question, but I think it's better summed up with, don't bother.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    You don't have to do this...simply walk away, and everything will be okay...
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I've heard of this guy. He asks for stuff from artists, even stuff that aren't horror themed. My guess is that he just collects assets for whatever reason. Just politely say no imho, I mean it doesn't look like a game that would sell big.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you already had two (make that three) answers while I were off browsing other threads in other tabs, but my own sincere answer to this for each question would be:

no, no. no. no, no and no.

yes.

You learn after a while that if your not approached by a serious sensible offer or if there's something which doesn't seem quite right, it's better to just leave it. Someone asking you for your portfolio art, for free at that is not what I'd call a serious nor sensible offer.

You also say yourself that your not very fond of the project. You might also then realize that the merit would be of an equal value.

My advice would be to just keep practising and work on that portfolio until you land a proper job :3

Cheers
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You'll get guys like this popping up now and again asking to use whatever you happen to have in your portfolio for free. It probably happens a lot more with the really elite guys, but even I get them from time pawing over my portfolio that hasn't been properly updated in lord only knows how long.

Just take it as a compliment and continue on your merry way.
  • zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
    +1, take it as a compliment
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Haha seems like a pretty unanimous "walk away." Thanks guys.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Haha seems like a pretty unanimous "walk away." Thanks guys.

I wouldn't say it is always strictly that way. Sometimes there's merit to projects and sometimes there isn't. If you actually like the project you're seeing, you're not losing anything by allowing use of your assets (unless there's something shady going on).

If you don't like the project, naturally don't bother.