Home Technical Talk

Zbrush BPR background transparency problem

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
latorril polycounter lvl 6
2aeweub.png

I have a problem in my Shaded pass, where the background is always transparent. You can see what I mean in the image. In the 3D view, the render looks how I want it, but in the pass preview, the background is transparent.

This problem seems pretty trivial, but I have already thoroughly Googled and looked at some documentation.

It seems to be working in this video (3:17). His shaded pass has the document's background.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VUnbdLLrU"]0116 ZBRUSH intro (BPR).mov - YouTube[/ame]

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You could just export the Document if it looks exactly how you want it.
  • latorril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you cryrid :)

I'm a little curious as to why this is happening though - it doesn't seem to be happening in any of the tutorials that I see.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Those tutorials are probably outdated. If you are planning on using render passes then there's not a lot of reasons you would want the background baked into the same pass. I imagine that would cause some aa issues
  • latorril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo... I use the Mask Pass to create a mask for the other passes? Then put them above a background layer? Is that what people usually do?

All my "transparent" backgrounds are black when I open Photoshop. So that is my first thought - using masking pass.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The main pass isn't anti aliased, which is why you'll want to use the mask pass with a custom background. If you're just wanting a solid color or gradient for the bg then you don't even have to bother with passes. Just render and then export the document.
  • latorril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I know I can export the document for a simple background/render, but I wanted to know what to do once things start getting a bit more advanced. Those BPR filters look sexy, and I want to be able to make composites with them sometime.

Many thanks again.