Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Death- Darksiders Sculpt WIP

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jaydon polycounter lvl 6
So i'm starting a thread just to get encouragement, advice and criticism as I go.
I'm a massive fan of Darksiders and the art style is just freaking sweet.
I haven't really done any full bodied sculpts before and have barely touched clothes and armor so this should be interesting.

*Update. If i want to move on should i go to retopo first? before polypaint? Do i do the parts seperately? like body, then armour or do i do it as one... i haven't done this before so help is appreciated :)
enrLT.jpg

Replies

• jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Progress before i call it a night
    LoljQ.jpg
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    More progress. When i actually move on to leg armor and boots should i build that in another package (i use c4D) then take them in to Zbrush to refine or can it all be done in Z?? opinions? Thanks :)
    PV3t0.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    It's cool but you're detailing way too soon - the details are coming out soft and quite blurry because you haven't established good enough forms. I'd say go back down to level 2-3 and build up from there. Also are you using any proportional guides? Would be good to help keep it at the right proportions and size. Keep going!
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks For the feedback torch. I have a lot of reference up on my second monitor for him, what else should I be using as proportional guides? I have noticed in reference his hands are enormous and upper body is much broader than lower. His armor/boots thicken him put down there.
    Should I keep smoothing to a minimal to reduce the bluriness?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    The problem you're having here is that it looks like you're just copying what you see on Bobo's Death without actually knowing why he stylized things the way he did. I would stop using Bobo's Death as your main reference and use real world reference to get the major forms down.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Well said Sukotto, but i don't fully agree. Copy, copy, copy, copy makes perfect. Take what you can, or someone else will do it.

Try-out as many styles as you can to get to your goal.
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    I actually haven't done much stylized stuff at all and his work is awesome. I was definitely using it as my reference but im now looking at a lot of real humans too. I don't know if i will push the proportions / stylized element as far as his (besides what i have already done). Such as the larger hands and what not but may try and refine him in a more exagerated-realistic detailed way. What do you guys think?

i am trying to block out some better forms now
    3Rmi5.jpg
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    So I decided I would try and create my own armour using inspiration from some of the other sets among other things just to make him more my own. I created these gauntlets today and am now moving in to concepting some more
    *edited with armour concept
    nTL27.jpg
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Not bad, but i think the legs are too short, and the forms still look blurry. I say you should go n with the clay brush to sharpen it up a bit. :)
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah ive been wanting to lengthen them for a while, and to fix up the skin. got in there with the clay brush nice 'n gooden!
    i started making/blocking all the other pieces. This has been a really fun project for me, teaching myself to make armour and what not on a bad ass character.
    c8rPF.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    his abdominal area and a ribcage are bothering me very much
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    thank... you?
    haha nah i know it isn't looking like a real humans anatomy but looking at the actual Death models he is very, very gaunt like half human half skeleton and i may not have translated that stylized version over very well.
    Perhaps i will look up some anorexic references and try and encorporate a more realistic tone to it.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    gigantor ribcage is gigantic. from the front, you would be able to see the lats. your missing his lats. look at death refereence.
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Changed some things, fixed some things, tweaked some thangs.
    progress. Next i want to move on to creating the panties.
    then i will refine the boots, hair and eyes of the face.
    CnWR7.jpg
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Still working on this dude
    rxVrT.jpg
  • JDunay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, been watching your progress. Really digging the progression you have since the first post.

On the legs, (i dont know human anatomy) maybe you should make those two muscles that are right above the knee on the outside of the leg a bit bigger. Just a thought.
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for that JD I appreciate the appreciation!
    yeah i think throughout this process his legs have been growing bit by bit as i realised how thin they were. I may thicken them up yet after i get some work done on the rest of him
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah looking sweet!
    I also agree you should go in and define the rectus and the vasti. Thickening up is your choice, but i think you should go in and place them in as the thighs look like tubes.
    Putting them in will help with cloth folds aswell

Good luck! You dont stop do you hah youre crazy ;)
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks butt! :)
    Yeah I will definitely work on them, you mean having that muscle shape in there will help me place the folds? I should probably look at more reference for pants and folds as I was kinda just going at it!

No I most certainly do not stop... Haha.
    I hunger for awesome 3d work and won't stop til I reach the same levels! :)
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    The possible? final sculpt haha. With a scythe i put together, meant to resemble the classic reaper.

If i want to move on should i go to retopo first? before polypaint? Do i do the parts seperately? like body, then armour or do i do it as one... i haven't done this before so help is appreciated
    enrLT.jpg