Home Technical Talk

Weird black/grey extra mesh from Zbrush

Tekoppar
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
I know the solution of the problem, but I would like to know why it's happening so I can avoid it in the future.

SOLUTION in clear text if anyone else has this problem, Convert to editable poly

So when I baked my maps on Xnormal I noticed my normal map looked weird. But I have seen people say that normal maps should never be judged by it's flat so I tried it out on the model and it looked the same. So I opened the high poly up in max to see how it looked cause it didn't look like that in Zbrush at all (Zbrush workspace).

weirdmesh.png

What I got when I imported it was the thing to the left, I found the solution when I inspected the verts on the model cause that looks way to high poly, looked like a material with high spec value and information from that weird mesh was applied to the low poly. If I make it an editable poly, the real high poly magically appears and I can delete the weird one.

But what's causing this weird extra model to appear? I just took a plane from Zbrush and dynameshed it and that's it.

Replies