Home Technical Talk

Nufftalon Zbrush Techniques!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys I love zbrush I mean who doesn't? I wanted to share some techniques I taught myself that could help you also in your workflow!

I will write in explanation when I have time for now I will like to introduce:

Nufftalon Presents Creating Custom Alphas In Illustrator, Using Zbrush Shadowbox, and Match Maker to create Complex Shapes

PATTERN1.jpg
In Illustrator create shapes use pathfinder and mirror tools, or you can make actual patterns
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI90SIEiiWs"]Create Intricate Patterns in Illustrator - YouTube[/ame]

PATTERN2.jpg
When you are done you just choose file save for web save with your other alphas as a .jpg file.

PATTERN3.jpg
Select a default sphere it doesn't matter just as long as you have at least one subtool.
Holding control click on alphas choose import and select the alpha we made from illustrator.

PATTERN4.jpg
In the geometry palette select shadow box but before you do bump up the res slider to at least 400.

PATTERN5.jpg
Holding ctrl off the canvas and dragging will clear the mask.

PATTERN6.jpg
Holding ctrl select alpha choose square and see to drag rectangle. Square will constrain our alpha so it won't get distorted. Now in the box holding ctrl and dragging will drag the alpha to move it hold space bar and drag while still holding ctrl, once its positioned let go of all keys.

PATTERN7.jpg
Look at how clean our result is!
PATTERN8.jpg
Click shadow box again to exit out of shadow box and select the matchmaker brush. The trick is that the size of the brush needs to be bigger then model. Make sure you have pattern subtool selected and brush by dragging down until the pattern subtools is wrapped onto the sphere.
PATTERN9.jpg
The results so far..
PATTERN10.jpg
Finally activate radial symmetry in z axis and select the move elastic brush and pull down a little on the ends.

This is moreless a technique not really demonstrating it on a final product but just think of that unique emblem you wanna make on your characters armor and need it to conform to your model. You don't have to use illustrator similar results can be achieved with photoshop. You could also use a free program like alchemy to make a cool design and save it as an alpha. As you probably noticed alphas can be black and white, if you were to use this alpha multiple times as a pattern on your model you may want to feather the edges so you don't get a harsh square on the alpha. I could also enhace this by using inflat or bring in yet another pattern that has less shapes as means to make a quick mask and deformation palette choose inflat. Zbrush tends to give us alot of possibilities. I hope this first tutorial is helpful more to come soon.

Replies

• Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Wow that's pretty frickin sweet Null! I'm taking a Zbrush class right now and we just started learning Alphas. Have you used the Spotlight feature? I'm not too familiar with Shadowbox so can you kind of run down the steps for that? Looks like you brought in sphere, opened up Shadowbox, took away the sphere, and imported your Alpha texture and brushed it on, brought in a sphere and used the Topology Move brush to bend the Alpha around the sphere?
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    sweet! maybe you could shed some light on how to create the actual alpha's in illustrator or photoshop?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You may also be interested in the IMM brush. Add your new shape to it, and you can use the Projection Modifier to automatically deform it to a surface while you draw it on
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Chaserm2: Thanks man yeah shadow box works by when your draw a mask that mask turns into actually geometry. I have indeed used spotlight not my favorite thing really. I enjoyed the old image plane better however spotlight is great for projecting like human skin from a photo on your model. Its also good for sculpting wrinkles on a head with zadd turned on. If you turn both zadd and rgb it will give you the color for the photo and sculpt. You can also achieve similar results with layers.

Mistersande: I hope what I wrote helps if not I will try to make a step by step but really if you watch that youtube video on making patterns in illustrator you will understand.

Cryid: Thats a great idea I haven't tried it myself. Gonna have to check it out thanks.