Home Technical Talk

unwrapping hands

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
How are you unwrapping hands?

I'm now unwrapping hands now for many many years but still I'm every time unsure how to handle them.

Most of the time I cut around the thumb and alongside the side of the fingers until i reach the little finger. Then relax and fin.

(I'm just posting here images I found on the internetzz bc I don't have images here on this machine right now)

Example:
finalunwrapkitteh.jpg

you can of course do the same if you cut at the edge of the hand. But I don't like this so much bc you can't hide this seam that easy

Example:
thm_103351a.jpg

Since I checked the fallout 3 unwraps I like the way of detaching the finger and squaring their uvs + the base of the hand. This allows of horizontal and vertical lines to end up un-aliased sharp for the cost of a lot of uv seams

sadly I couldn't find a good example image for that.

found this too: detaching the thumb and splitting into upper and lower half.. not that convinced about that way
Example:
street_cop_workflow_12.jpg

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    If you are making them for a game and so happen to be using dxt1 as your compression algo, might be worth making sure most of the wrinkles end up horizontal in the texture instead of vertical.

dxt1compression.jpg
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally I do them in the same way as the first image you posted. Around the middle of each finger and then unfold along the knife of the palm.

If there's no loop around the middle, then I'll use the edge closest to the underside of the hand to hide the seam better from most views.

Scruples: Never thought about that, good idea.