Home General Discussion

Speculative applications and knowing when not to bother

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Wesley polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys, I'm in the process of applying to companies throughout the UK for environment art roles; and I've sent out a few speculative application to companies who say they accept them on their site.

But today I was trying to send a speculative application to a company owned by a big publisher, who don't have their own proper website and instead have everything filtered through one careers portal where you sign-up, etc. So the company are hiring (although not any junior positions) but there's no space for speculative applications or any actual general job email address. Is this a sign that the company doesn't want speculative applications, or is it simply large-publisher bureaucracy (okay, not the right word, but you get what I mean)?

My first port of call was the Polycount Job Census, to see if I could PM someone who worked there, but unfortunately no one does. Apart from bugging someone on LinkedIN (I could only find a higher-up) I'm not sure what to do.

Advice?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what's the worst that could happen, it's not like the HR person would say "this person is interested in working at our company!? how dare they!" *puts name on permanent no hire list*
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well specifically the role on their website is for a senior. Wouldn't it annoy the studio head/HR dude getting a senior application through, and then opening it and seeing, "Hey I'm not a senior, BUT! Wait, no don't close the window, hear me out!"
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I don't see the harm in it. My buddy who just graduated applied for a position that required 5+ years experience and he got an art test, a few interviews/feedback, was flown out to the studio. Even though he didn't get the job in the end, it was really close and it goes to show you that if your portfolio meets the needs of the studio, they may be willing to compromise experience and find a place for you.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. Those job requirements are rarely stiff rules that must be met... they're just a way to help thin the crowd. If your portfolio rocks, you can make it into a senior spot with little or no experience. If they're looking for someone with leadership experience, you'll just get passed over. It never hurts to apply!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, this is much appreciated.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Wesley, go for it man, i wouldn't be surprised to see you made it through, best of luck. bye :D
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I thought I would resurrect this thread with another question relating to speculative applications.

I live in the South West of the UK with only a hand full of game developers within like 4+ hours of travel, all of which are relatively small handheld/browser based studios.

I sent out a speculative application to a studio which was fairly close and I went in for a talk/interview which went really really well in my opinion. However, they aren't thinking of hiring for another like 3 months and even then there is no guarantee that they actually will. If and when the do I will have to go through the whole application/ interview process again.

I have heard a lot of people say, "If they like you they will make a job for you", but I have found myself being in a similar position to anyone applying there in the future, apart from having the slight advantage of meeting the team before.(although that could also work against me as I wouldn't really have as much to talk about in my 2nd interview haha)

I was just wondering is this was the same for a larger developer or if they would actually 'make' a job for me (if my work is good enough) without having to advertise it and interview people?

I understand that everyone deserves an equal chance etc but I don't really want to spend hundreds of pounds travelling up country, to be in a similar position to someone applying fresh off the bat to a advertised position.

I am just looking for advise as to if I should continue to send out speculative applications, or if I should only do it local companies so that I am not hounded by travel costs?

Thanks PC :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnsey, in 3 months you should have new artwork to show. Get cracking! That will give you something to promote yourself with, and something to talk about in the interview.

A developer will not make a job, unless there is work to do and they need another set of hands to do it. Simple as that. The money has to be on its way into the studio, before they'll consider paying it out for a new hire.

If you happen to hit their radar when this is occurring, and you fit their needs, then they might hire you. If there are no other applicants, like it's especially dry for them, you could just get the job without them interviewing others.

It is very rare to find a single applicant that is a must-have, without needing to compare them against multiple other applicants. You have to really stand out for this to happen, and you have to have a decision-maker in the company that is totally gunning for you.

You should just bite the bullet, and spend those pounds. If you want the job, go get the job. Remember you are usually competing against other applicants. Be the best.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Wesley wrote: »
    Well specifically the role on their website is for a senior. Wouldn't it annoy the studio head/HR dude getting a senior application through, and then opening it and seeing, "Hey I'm not a senior, BUT! Wait, no don't close the window, hear me out!"

If you honestly think you can bat at the same level as a senior, go for it; even if you've not worked as a senior before. But if you're just chancing your arm, better to save the lead the trouble.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know about game studios per se, but in CGI studios for movies, alot of senior positions are asked (usually) so that person coming abroad has an understanding of studio environments and how workloads are established, not skill set alone.

A couple of guys who worked at Weta and ILM said that they would prefer working (ESPECIALLY when under crunch), with people who have some base understanding of how to synchronize themselves with one to another during the pipeline, and that a new comer who has no experience on that side of things could potentially slow them down, as you need to take time to tell them what to do and how to deal certain issues.

I'm not sure how valid that is by today's standards of mutiple year cycles, especially in game dev, but I thought of sharing this little story incase anyone has anything interesting to add to it.