Home General Discussion

General Questions about my first reel

poopsterspappy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would offer me some insight into the following. I am getting close to constructing my first reel and I am a bit confused about the following . I plan on having a number of props, some large some small 2-3 based on photos and 2-3 based concept art , one small highly detailed environment and one armored human character that will demonstrate my understanding of anatomy and it's relation to hard surface forms. My quandry is I have an excellent grasp of materials and rendering in Max but I love Cry Engine materials and Viewport rendering. Am I better off showing my assets rendered out in Max or rendered out of the Engine. Please forgive the naivety of these questions.
Thank you

Av

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Use what you are most comfortable with. Don't worry about learning a new game engine. When your portfolio is done then you can replace your renders on your website with game engine renders as time permits.

I've been involved in the hiring process for several artists. Quality of models and textures is what people examine. Specific game engine knowledge is secondary. Even if you were to get a job using CryEngine, there's a good chance the project has deviated from the standard workflow.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    reel

No.

Just... no.

Reels can be helpful for stuff like animation, effects, some film-spec work, and flythroughs of levels, but don't bother if you're just going to be doing static stuff like models. Nobody wants to sit through two or three minutes of Flash video embedded on somebody's website that takes forever to load when they could be just looking at some high-quality still images.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great input. I will stick with my principal programs. It truly is paralysis by analysis with so many options.:\ All the best, and thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it Av
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle, Thanks, That simplifies things alot and at this point I really do need to simplify my thought process.