Home General Discussion

Your next next generation portfolio!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
The years to come are going to be exciting as we move to the next generation of consoles (at least we hope so anyway) these will bring up new technology's and methods of industry standard art production. Its a really exciting time for games art and although there is a wide variety of art budgets and styles across multiple devices. What will you be adding to personal projects in the years to come and how will you change your work to always stay ahead of the game?

If you was showing your portfolio in one or two years time, what would it contain? What technical ability will you have to demonstrate?

I thought it would be great for people to share ideas and spark some inspiration of what people might want to look out for on the horizon.

THE LIST! DU DU DURRR!

Replies

• ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    -More lense flairs
    -More Snakehook
    -More sublurface scatting
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the next, nextgen. Almighty_gir recommends baking lensflares directly into spec maps, and painting cubemaps by hand... you'll want to add some chromatic abbaration to your cubemaps just for the extra pop.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I vote for displacement normal maps. basically it displaces your normal map texture so its no longer on the texture page. look's great but you can't see the effect unless you are wearing 2 pairs of 3d glasses

I also want to see pineapple chunk maps - bit like cube maps bit a bit more of a yellow tinge to it and a bit more zing.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    vector displacement maps everywhere!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ceebee wrote: »
    -More sublurface scatting

We definitely need more sub-blur-face scatting up in here. It might actually be a make or break situation on what console I buy if both the PS4 and nextbox don't have that kind of scatting.
    Ruz wrote: »
    I also want to see pineapple chunk maps - bit like cube maps bit a bit more of a yellow tinge to it and a bit more zing.

Bitch please that's so last year, Deus Ex:HR used 512* pineapple maps on everything.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Brace yourself for this, it's got some pretty high end terminology in here; Jiggling....titties.... We simply don't spend enough physics resources on this in our current gen....
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    More Bokeh would be nice...

To be honest I can't wait! Should you have mentioned what euclidean is doing? I don't know, but I'm very exited for what is to come!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Brace yourself for this, it's got some pretty high end terminology in here; Jiggling....titties.... We simply don't spend enough physics resources on this in our current gen....

Seriously though, I think realtime physics is going to be getting a big boost. Softbody physics are going to go from tech demo to a more refined feature. (I want to see softbody physics for trees and cool wind systems!) The cloth and hair physics demos we've seen recently are going to be polished over this next generation also. It will look a little janky for a while, but it'll get there. Particles are going to be a bigger thing this next gen too, we saw the focus on this in Unreal 4 demo.

Exciting times! Thank jeebus for those clever programmer chappies!:poly142:
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    2048 x 2048 texture sizes as a standard. Example (credits to Nix),
    pYLch.png

Also, I imagine average character polycounts will go up to 40,000-120,000 (before tessellation).

I'll also want to have some Global Illumination showcases.
    VbGiP.jpg
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Unfortunately the improvement I would like with the games, would be dynamic text-2-voice audio and better AI. I know we are in the field of graphic, but it's just the thing I think there is too much focus on with games, instead of a proper background base.

That being said, dynamic ingame created assets will change everything, actually craft something from nothing, instead of just 'creating' with prefabs, and I'm talking about games like Minecraft as well, though it was a step in the right direction. :)

But graphic-wise, not hollow models would be interesting, and by this I mean, if you cut of your characters arm, you won't see a shell, but automatic generated 'content'. And since this should work dynamically, it will make it more tricky for artists to make their models (or maybe just shaders).
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    McGreed wrote: »
    Unfortunately the improvement I would like with the games, would be dynamic text-2-voice audio and better AI. I know we are in the field of graphic, but it's just the thing I think there is too much focus on with games, instead of a proper background base.

That being said, dynamic ingame created assets will change everything, actually craft something from nothing, instead of just 'creating' with prefabs, and I'm talking about games like Minecraft as well, though it was a step in the right direction. :)

But graphic-wise, not hollow models would be interesting, and by this I mean, if you cut of your characters arm, you won't see a shell, but automatic generated 'content'. And since this should work dynamically, it will make it more tricky for artists to make their models (or maybe just shaders).

Valve is actually halfway there with their gore techniques for L4D2.

Personally I'd like some alternative to prebaked cubemaps, screen-space reflections and planar (flat mirror) reflections.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7

i beg to differ, sir. I suspect the resources dedicated to exactly this is what's holding back the progress on sublurface scattering and pineapple maps.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd like all engines to use something like this for specular/reflections, I'd also like screen based AO to just be mulitplied to areas with indirect lighting online and not exist in direct lighting [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAsg_xNzhcQ&feature=player_embedded"]Interactive Indirect Illumination Using Voxel Cone Tracing - YouTube[/ame]
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    hot damn! lookin forward to the next few years
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh next gen, when consoles finally step up to 2002 standards, sweet I can't wait.
  • StaticTheFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh next gen, when consoles finally step up to 2002 standards, sweet I can't wait.

2002 CG standards?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2002 CG standards?
    You dream too big and think too much of Microsoft and Sony who's console divisions are bleeding money and hemorrhaging market share. Also consider that they sell hardware at a loss so you know they are going to skimp on hardware and thanks to the focus on mobile and tablets, even a slight step up past the current gen is going to look futuristic even if it's centuries behind the edge of the envelope.
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    I hear some jaded-ness in here. Don't blame the technology for cheesy, overblown graphics, blame the people making them.

I for one, am excited for what's to come. Advances in CG gave directors and writers more latitude for their films, even if a lot of it is derivative. Same thing happening to our industry, and that's OK. There's more interesting game art being created now than ever before.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I'll keep showing ART, nothing else, if you show you're an artist, all the rest of tech part you can learn quickly. And that's one of my failures, I wish I could be more of an artist then worry too much about the tech side.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Tech is such a large word, that I'm not sure if doesn't 'matter' for a folio, but whatever floats you goat.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I have a vague tech' question for y'all - what would be more resource intensive, Dynamic Tessellation or Parallax Occlusion Mapping with silhouettes?

Both can have similar results but I'm guessing one takes more triangle crunching and the other more shader crunching.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MzSmdC49Ns"]Advanced visual effects with DirectX 11 - YouTube[/ame]

OpenGL 4.3: Compute Shaders Details
    opengl4.3-compute-shaders-05.jpg
    opengl4.3-compute-shaders-01.jpg
    opengl4.3-compute-shaders-02.jpg
    opengl4.3-compute-shaders-03.jpg

OGLGenerations_575px.jpg

http://www.khronos.org/opengl
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc wrote: »
    I hear some jaded-ness in here. Don't blame the technology for cheesy, overblown graphics, blame the people making them.

I for one, am excited for what's to come. Advances in CG gave directors and writers more latitude for their films, even if a lot of it is derivative. Same thing happening to our industry, and that's OK. There's more interesting game art being created now than ever before.
    While you can make good games with just about any tech, new hardware will enable us to eliminate giant swaths of convoluted pipelines that we have to take to get decent graphics on shit hardware. Making it easier for us to make games, will help us make better games. Any graphical improvement or enhanced eye candy will be a secondary side effect that marketing will surely focus on like a laser beam, but won't be what actually improves the quality of games.

Just a quick reminder that when the 360's specs where released to devs (2 years before it shipped) there where audible gasps of "oh my god" and "this is what we have to work with lets get to it". Having outdated hardware before the console even ships doesn't help it live a long life, especially when they try to stretch that live 4-5 years past it's expiration date.

The PS3 has a similar story but is also plagued by "difficult to develop for by design", security issues and an under preforming PSN store. They need a franchise reboot worse than Micosoft does.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    More than cool graphics for next gen, I'm excited for better animations. I'm not sure how animations for games work, but maybe they could handle larger rigs and better facial animations (instead of the gooby mouth-open-mouth-closed thing we have now)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    If your framerate dips too low it can get the animations out of sync causing things to get ugly very quick. So no matter what when the bar is pushed it will happen. Beyond that, its just an issue of where the studio is putting its resources.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdw1HvzKt1M&feature=player_embedded#!
    bit noisey but sexy nonetheless...waiting for the first batch of ray tracing video cards to end the next generation prematurely
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Actually I think it would be better with faster workflows, just see the difference from old game and now, there is a LOT more time used on creating assets, because there is more details (and not 10 sprites pr. character). Not saying we need one-button-create-character, but maybe some better dynamic materials you can drop on models, and then adjust damage, wear/tear, decal ect, and just bake it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed wrote: »
    Actually I think it would be better with faster workflows, just see the difference from old game and now, there is a LOT more time used on creating assets, because there is more details (and not 10 sprites pr. character). Not saying we need one-button-create-character, but maybe some better dynamic materials you can drop on models, and then adjust damage, wear/tear, decal ect, and just bake it.
    So something like Substance Materials or Substance Designer? I think Unity even has support for Substance materials so you don't even need to bake them. I don't think they're prefect but it's a decent place to start and hopefully the tools will evolve and allow more more flexibility.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I think the next generation of consoles will focus more on being a well rounded media box and digital storefront, than just pushing newer faster hardware with better graphics.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My hope for next-gen is mostly about the development side of things.

Max and Maya have made many substantial improvements during the past couple of years, but they could still do so much more.

I think the tools need to continue to be improved... because as game worlds become more complex, it's going to take longer to make those worlds unless revolutionary new workflows are devised.

UV unwrapping tools are one thing that need an improvement.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    My advice is:

Ignore tech. Just make good art.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    My advice is:

^This

With current gen tech I dont think there is really much of anything you cant do artistically already do. The new tech is not a fundamental change as the development of pixel shaders. It just makes things prettier.

Hopefully the next gen will allow people to focus more on art creation then learning new tech techniques like this current generations learning curve provided.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'll be happy once we don't have to worry about uv seams and how normal maps (or future maps) are handled, hopefully we can get a universal system with tessellation/displacement.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    My advice is:

We'd still be playing 2D games if this was the best advice. New tech leads to better tools which allows artists to make better art. Both in the actual creation of the art and getting it working in run-time with bounced lighting allovadaplace etc. :poly142:
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'll be happy once we don't have to worry about uv seams and how normal maps (or future maps) are handled, hopefully we can get a universal system with tessellation/displacement.

texture using mari, you ll forget about uvseams.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    maze wrote: »
    texture using mari, you ll forget about uvseams.

I'm not talking about texturing them, there's game engines that handle them badly in certain situations like udk.