Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Justin DeVore

Justin DeVore
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Justin DeVore polycounter lvl 4
Hi all -

I figured I'd start a sketchbook as my first foray into actually posting some of my art to Polycount. Up until now I've been mostly lurking and occasionally asking questions.

I work as an Environment Artist at Schell Games, in Pittsburgh, and any remaining free time is usually eaten up by my two young kids. I'm hoping the public scrutiny will encourage me to create more art in any remaining hours that don't end up in either of those two destinations.

I'm open to critiques on anything, particularly on going projects. One-off sketches I'm less likely to revisit.

Thanks - I'm excited to actually contribute to the community!

Replies

• Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. First post. Actual images!

I've been working on an idea for an environment that I can use to learn UDK. I do a lot of Unity work at Schell Games, so it would be nice to learn some other popular (and more powerful engines). The basic concept is a stretch of highway where alien invaders first happened to land on Earth, but not where they ultimately settled. A number of years have passed since the landing and their landing pods (which destroyed the road and cars) have been abandoned and are starting to be absorbed by nature. Architectural hints of their successful colony can be seen off in the distance.

I'll likely start a proper thread for this once it gets far enough, but for now I'm going to mix progress on it in with other sketches.

These first images are just some sketches where I'm mostly trying to establish the bounds and key points of the level and nail down a language for the alien's technology and architecture.

Some thumbnail ideas:

highwayInvasion_sketches_001.jpg

I'm leaning towards their technology using materials that feel fabricated, but mimic forms found in nature. This landing pod's form takes influence from...an artichoke.

highwayInvasion_sketches_002.jpg

Some architecture that might be seen in the distance.

highwayInvasion_sketches_003.jpg

This would be the edge of the environment and a sort of gated tunnel leading off towards their actual city.

highwayInvasion_sketches_004.jpg

An idea for how their objects might be welded together.

highwayInvasion_sketches_005.jpg

I may do further sketch exploration, but I hope to start doing some color tests on these soon.
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And now for something completely different.

Here's a quick sketch I did as a submission to Puzzle Clubhouse, an interesting site that some other folks at Schell Games are working on. Basically, its an experiment in crowd sourcing where a short animated episode is posted monthly with a short game embedded in the middle of it. Right now its in super-early Alpha mode, but it will be moving into a more public Beta at the end of the month and will be launched at PAX. Right now, the latest call is for art of creepy garden gnomes. Here's my submission:

postArgus_gardenGnome_01.jpg

If anyone's interested, here's the proper teaser site:
    http://www.puzzleclubhouse.com/

And here's where you can get involved early:
    http://www-prod01.puzzleclubhouse.com/

I promise I won't spam my own thread with any more external links! I was just excited about finding the time to actually churn out a quick sketch for this.
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once a year our studio puts paying projects on hold and runs a Jam Week where people get a chance to either collaborate on small concept projects or use the time for personal growth / learning new tools / etc. This year I want to attempt one of those fancy schmancy 1 texture levels I see pop up on PC every now and then. I'll likely build it in Unity (as that is what I already have set up on my computer at work) and have one diffuse, one specular, and one normal map.

I started thinking up some ideas for it ahead of time. Generally I want a small circular level with a big room with a pit in the middle it and then an outer corridor around the room, which also has a moat running along its edge. The place is built from stone and wood by some civilization that worships giant man eating plants. The pit in the center and the moat will be filled with giant vines covered in thorns, with a big mouth in the center of the pit. Its possible as I plan that I may decide to actually have two sets of textures instead of my original single texture: one set for the building materials, one for the organic ones. Here's a quick sketch of the outer moat. I'm hoping to send a little time tonight cleaning it up in PS and adding in some color and value (I know... its quite flat and loose right now).

thornBushCastle_01_forPC.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great to see so many sketches. I really like the artichoke pod. That would be fun to make.

The thorns/vines might be a great use of the new curve Insert Multi Mesh brushes in Zbrush. Might be a nightmare in low poly tho...

Actually, even the design running horizontally around the front pillars too. Sorry, got those brushes on the brain and I keep looking for ways to use them!
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nyx - If I can get IT to update our Zbrush installations at work I might give that method a whirl. I'm not holding my breath...

Jam Week kicks off on Monday. I'm trying to cram a bit more planning in before the craziness begins. I made a quick sketch of the central pit. I like the general idea, but I think I'll play around a bit more with scale when I start blocking. I'm thinking something more impressive - a wider chasm rather than this, which currently looks like a well with a plant crawling out of it. If I get some time tomorrow, I might take another stab at this in sketch form, but I also want to reserve some time for playing with color on these two images.

thornBushCastle_02_forPC.jpg
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah! I meant to go to bed, but caught up dropping some super quick color in as a test.

thornBushCastle_02_color01_forPC.jpg
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a few more quick sketches to explore some details and trims I want to have in my Jam Week project. I also spent a little time planning out how I want to allocate space on my texture map (but won't bother posting that chicken scratch here yet).

thornBushCastle_03_forPC.jpg
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Jam week has kicked off, so I'm going to try to update my sketchbook throughout each day this week as I generate new content. Did a quick template for my texture map, doubling as a color script/board for the level. The Trim colors aren't going to correspond to those colors specifically, they were just good places to fill out the palette more completely. Generally I'm leaning for cool, natural colors, adding warmth in via the wood and lighting. The map will be a 1024x1024 4-channel map with a corresponding normal map.

ChildrenOfTheThorn_mapTemplateAndColorBoard.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating machine! Planing out your UVs like that is pretty awesome. I am interested to see how close you stick to that. Do you think you will need unique wood details? It seems like the wood covers alot of the area.
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to do my best to stick to it. I know enough not to ever say that I'll be able to stick to a plan 100%, but I only want to deviate if something unforeseen forces me to do so. The wood area is pretty wide, but I wanted to make sure that I have enough unique floor boards in my tiling texture that I'd be able to use them for large, relatively uninterrupted floor spaces while still retaining some degree of shape and color variation. The long shape of the wood allocation seemed like a more natural layout to sculpt in for floor boards.
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting up some of the preliminary stuff I got done yesterday (today will be all sculpting, all the time).

Settled on a layout:

ChildrenOfTheThorn_levelMap_01.jpg

Built out the super rough blocking in Maya (colors still correspond to those in the layout drawing's key):

ChildrenOfTheThorn_mayaBlocking_01.jpg

Brought it into Unity and got the basic scene set up with a quick character controller. The model itself is a 6ft character I'm using for size reference. It was modeled by John DeRiggi for a previous test project at Schell Games).

ChildrenOfTheThorn_unityBlocking_01.jpg

On to sculpting!
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few of the sculpts I worked on earlier today (textures are IP - just an initial polypaint pass):

PC_tilingStone1_sculpt.jpg

PC_tilingStone2_sculpt.jpg

PC_tilingPlant_sculpt.jpg

PC_thorn_sculpt.jpg
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, cool to see you posting! I'm digging your idea and your zbrush work looks pretty cool so far. The planning out the texture space was a pretty good idea.

I'm curious to know, did you sculpt it out of just one plane, or did you use separate subtools? It seems like you did it for the rocks, but the roots/green things seem like they were just sculpted on a plane, and it feels more flat than the rocks.

Pretty cool, though, can't wait to see it in engine. :)
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I am really liking those rocks.
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nyx - Thanks man! I aim to please.

Stoop_Kid - Thanks! Glad you like them. You're basically right on with your guess. I've used other methods in the past for sculpting tiling textures like these (dropping tools down to the canvas or arranging a lot of stones/bricks/etc in a subtool, keeping them separate via polygroups). I hadn't played much with the wrap mode fuctionality before, so this time I started the rocks off as a single double-sized plane, turned wrap mode to 1 on all my brushes, masked out the shapes I wanted for the rocks, and offset them a good distance via the deformations panel. After I sculpted them to my liking, I created a second plane for filling in the cracks and overlaid it so that the rocks poked through it. The plant texture is intended to be wrapped around a cylindrical model as the skin for my thorny vine/tentacle things. It was modeled from a single plane, and I'd agree that it feels flatter. This was partially because I didn't really have a solid plan for what I wanted this to look like until I had been sculpting for awhile. In the interest of time and actually getting something thrown into the level by Friday, I decided to go with it. Not ideal, I'd agree.

Here's a few more sculpts. I lost a bunch of time today trying to better understand scale in zBrush vs. other 3D programs. I didn't want to end up with any surprises when it came time to bake. Hopefully I can finish up the last few sculpts tomorrow morning and start getting these texture on in-game objects.

Revised the texture plan slightly since I clearly won't have time for the bonus props I had sketched. I may do them as unique textures on separate sheets after Jam Week is over:

ChildrenOfTheThorn_mapTemplateAndColorBoard_v02.jpg

And now a buttload of trims:

PC_FreeStandingStone_sculpt.jpg
    PC_Trim2_sculpt.jpg
    PC_Trim3_sculpt.jpg
    PC_Trim4_sculpt.jpg
    PC_Trim5_sculpt.jpg
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last stone trim:

PC_Trim1_sculpt.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool! The last trim piece is awesome. Did you mask all that out and inflate it?

Although it looks cool I think the concept of a stone grate is a little weird. Just a small Nick-picky thing.
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. Well, masked it out and then offset and then smoothed, but close enough. Yeah - its a little strange. I honestly was just trying to fill one more trim slot on my texture sheet. The original idea started off more as a pattern than a grate, but its sort of turned into that. The cuts actually aren't as deep as they look - it has some dark polypaint in the crevices for masking purposes - so depending on how I paint the texture it could go either way. I'll probably try both and see which version I like best.

And now, some tiling boards:

PC_WoodTiling_sculpt.jpg
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And some more old splintered wood - this time a plane for wrapping around dimensional objects:

PC_WoodPlane_sculpt.jpg
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squeezing in my last sculpt for this sheet - central mouth of the thorn-vine-monster-plant-thing.

PC_Mouth2_sculpt.jpg
    PC_Mouth3_sculpt.jpg
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work Justin. I'm sure I can guess off the top of my head, but how'd you sculpt those wooden tiling boards?
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response, I was wondering how you went about it! :)
    One last stone trim:

PC_Trim1_sculpt.jpg

This looks sweet (my favorite one so far), and so does the plant! :D Keep it up, this is going to look lovely when it's done. By the way, is there any way to see some of the stuff your coworkers made for the Jam Week thing?
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karoake_Warrior - Thanks! The tiling boards were made from two subtools, duplicated and offset to acheive the tiling and then that whole set was duplicated and flipped to create rows 3 and 4. The sculpting itself generally followed this process:
    • Trim dynamic to rough up edges and define general forms
    • Orb's crack brush to define the major cracks and chips
    • Faintly ran a custom wood grain brush over the whole deal for believable noise
    • Used the h-polish brush over each little wood segment, leaving just hints of the noise from the wood grain brush
    • Now the time consuming part: Used Orb's crack brush again to add in a lot of finer cracks and chips beyond the major forms of the original pass.
    • Did any last little bits of cleanup with either h-polish or trim dynamic brushes, depending on the need.
    Stoop_Kid - Thanks again! As for your question: Only if they decide to make it public :D The only coworker who regularly posts on here (that I'm aware of) is Daven. Maybe watch his sketchbook thread. I'll let you know if stuff is posted publicly elsewhere though.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Nice concept you got there i like it. specially the plant thing.
    keep them coming.
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    This is coming out great, I love the zbrush stuff, great textures so far mate !
  • Justin DeVore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bertmac & @vickgaza - Thanks for the encouragement!

Life slowed things down a bit this past week after a weekend full of camping. I'm working on baking these sculpts out - I'll post the results up once I get them all finished and combined into the texture layout.

In the meantime I did a super quick, silly painting for another Puzzle Clubhouse entry - this time the goal was:
    Draw, paint or collage a garden element (such as a tree, fountain, topiary beast, etc) that could be found in the landscaping surrounding Puzzle Clubhouse.

My idea was a busted battle mech that had been converted into a planter. The end result is fairly "meh," but at least it kept me Arting.

postArgus_mechPlanter.jpg
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    This is really good, love your zbrush texture sculpts. Will keep an eye on this one :)