Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viking Style Char

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
ok so i havent been posting or anything for a while. this will pretty much be my first attempt at a char in max and zbrush. im not 100% confident in zbrush yet so im taking things slow and learning little by little. i still use max to do a lot of my models but im trying to transition to zbrush completely. since i usually do hard surface max is my fab program :)

anyways i would really like some advice and critiques on this. thank you guys

render4-1.jpg

render3-1.jpg

render2-3.jpg

ps: anyone wanna show me how to do some nice renders in zbrush so i can post my char here with a little more dignity? :/

Replies

• mrmagee1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to use Zbrush can be very daunting. I know when I started to learn it I got very frustrated and tried to stray away, but the more you try to work in it, the more integral it becomes to your workflow. It's truly an amazing program. Starting to work it into your character creation process is the perfect way to practice a new program too! You'll be making characters from scratch inside Zbrush in no time! (although I do still use Max for more hard surface things like armor and weapons :D)

You're character is looking pretty good. The form of the chest and back looks nice. The shoulders look a bit high up, or else the neck looks a little short; and the arms also look a little bit off to me. They seem a little too thick in the joint region. But or the most part he's looking pretty good! Keep rolling. You've got a great start to build from.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmagee1000: i see what u mean about the shoulders. i think thats whats making his neck look short. not sure what u mean about the joint region lol :D
  • badzee28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badzee28 polycounter lvl 6
    What subdivision do you start working at? The reason I ask, is it is generally a lot easier to slowly build things up at a lower level. If you try to do everything at a higher level you'll go crazy and it will end up looking like an amorphous blob.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe that part I kno about. That's second subdivision actualy. Haven gone any higher
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render3-2.jpg

trying to add some more stuff in max before i take it into zbrush. still feel a little more comfortable doing thins in max. hoping i can transition smoothly.

weapon.jpg

getting some ideas for the weapon also.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    besides the techical stuff, what exactly is viking about him? not sure i get the concept
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Neox wrote: »
    besides the techical stuff, what exactly is viking about him? not sure i get the concept

Looks like a Chaos Marauder. I think their design is influenced by viking stuff originally. I know their lore is.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neox: im not sure i follow ur question. doesnt the technical stuff make something what it is? :/ or am i getting confused.

in reality vikings did not have nor used anything this guy has but the idea is for him to be a viking. i got some ideas from random viking references, exaggerating their armor and weapons. yes this will not look exactly like a normal viking but just more like a warrior kinda guy.