Home Unreal Engine

Problems importing FBX from MAX to UDK

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
So I'm trying to figure out how to get animations in UDK, and I have been semi-succesful. I managed to import a skeleton mesh with one animation, and get it to play the animation in the mesh preview.

However I ran into a problem when I tried to export animation sets. No matter what I do, the exported animation is always the full animation, instead of the selected baked range.

What I have been doing is selecting my bones in 3DS Max, and then go to Files / Export Selected / *.FBX . In the FBX Export window I check on Animation (obviously), and then check Bake Animation and limit the range to to my animset (example is 0-19, out of 70 frames).

But when I import the set into UDK, it import the full range, 0-70. So I went to Time Configuration to change animation Start and End Time to 0-19.
Even with that, for some reason it still export the whole animation, 0-70. :P

Could really use some help with this, because its really bugging me. I can't use ActorX, since its outdate towards 3DS Max 2012.

Replies

• Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    Having the same problem. I try everything you did too and got the same results :(
    Tell me you figured it out :D
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I hit this in maya too. I've never had the 'baked range' thing work out...never had the patience to figure it out, so I just save each anim to its own file and trim it down. Having anims all separated out like that is a pretty common workflow as it is.

You can also trim within UDK by srolling to the timeline and choosing 'remove after' or 'remove before'.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    You can also trim within UDK by srolling to the timeline and choosing 'remove after' or 'remove before'.

Ive notice this. Would use it if the slider snapped by frame. Feels weird using it as it is right now :/
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was actually working on a workaround with maxscript, but haven't finished it yet, and most likely there is things not getting exported as it should, since I don't do much animation, however so far the tests was working okay.

The idea was to a gui where you could add all the framesets, with frames start/end and a name (like "10-30 Running"), and then when it was ready, press a button and it would then first, not export it as FBX, but export all the framesets as .xaf files.
    The script would then delete all animations and load in each .xaf files, one by one, so that they would start at frame 0, and then export the animation as FBX. It might be crude, but it seem to work (hell of a lot of flicking GUI though when it happens lol).

You can then just import all the FBX animations in one go in the UDK animation window.
    Haven't finished it because I kept adding features and stuff, then went back to the code and thought "Who is that idiot with that messy cod...oohh...crap". ;)
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    yeah same result in Maya for me -- I make separate files for each animation just to be safe. I reference a main file that contains the character (in a base pose) and rig. It also helps with organization since you don't have to remember where each animation starts and ends. Still ... an annoying bug for sure.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I had similar issues with FBX from Max to UDK. I found an ActorX plugin online that supports Max 2012+. Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=958.0