Home General Discussion

Regarding for profit schools (NOT a newb asking Qs)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
"Colleagues, Students and friends,
As many of you know, I have been in a dispute with our school, the Art Institutes, for some months now, over their policy of mandatory e textbooks in classes where their inclusion seems arbitrary, inappropriate and completely motivated by profit. In July I asked the US Department of Education, the California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education and WASC (our accrediting agency) to look into my concerns. Since that time, the school and its parent company EDMC have escalated the pressure on me to select a book for a class I teach that I don't think requires one.

Today, the President of the school, Greg Marick, presented me with an ultimatum; either choose a book by Tuesday, Aug 14th or the company will terminate my employment for insubordination. My response, of course, is that I will not change my mind on this issue and that I'm determined to resist the policy however I can. I think this means that, as of this week, I will no longer be teaching at AI.

I want you, my students and colleagues to know that it has been my great honor and privilege to have worked with you over the last 11 years, and that I will miss the opportunity to work for you and with you. I have enjoyed my time as a teacher very much, but it appears as though it is now time to move on. Furthermore, you can count on me to continue the struggle that I have instigated on this issue, if only from the outside. Although it aint over till it's over, it looks like a 99.5% deal, barring an 11th hour change of heart by the corporation, which would surprise me.

I will keep you updated over the next few days as to any new developments.

I thank you for your friendship, comradeship and support."

If anyone here goes to a for profit school, went to one, or is planning on going to one, please give this petition a read and a signature if you agree.

I don't normally shove these around, especially not here on PC, but this (for profit schools) is a topic that comes up weekly here, and I figured a lot of you could associate to this problem.
Cheers, and thanks for the look.

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-art-institute-of-california-orange-county-to-not-force-a-teacher-s-resignation-over-unnecessary-e-textbooks

Replies

• reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I went to AISD and just got out before the Ebooks became mandatory for all classes. I'm with you 100% and I totally respect your commitment to standing up to the suits that are pillaging those who just want to learn. My experience in the for profit system was a love-hate relationship. While the teachers were all fantastic and dedicated the "powers that be" wanted nothing more than to find another dime in my pocket.
    Good on ye, man. and tell Wes i says Hi.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    much appreciated reverendK!Your are SO correct with the love-hate relationship between my school and I.

I actually updated the posting with the link to the petition >_<
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • Justin3d
    I teach game development at a community college. I agree about the textbook thing. Most of my material comes from my industry experience. It's actually our state policy that our classes require a textbook as well. It's something that academics and accreditation bodies like to see. That being said they are pretty lenient on what counts as a textbook. For example we are allowed to use a design3 subscription as a "textbook" I've even toyed with the idea of using 3dmotive or just writing something myself. Is this an avenue you are able to take?
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I teach at the college level as well, though not at a for-profit school, and we are required to have a textbook by the state and University. However, I don't require it for the class. I classify it as more of a reference book. So on paper the class has a required book, but in the classroom it is not required to have. It's highly suggested as it's the first time most of these kids have seen 3ds Max but all of my teaching comes from real world experience and examples. Just to get around the loophole, the first quiz is over the 3ds Max interface which is covered in the first 2 chapters of the book. Yet, the quiz is open book open notes, so they just have Max open. So technically I'm testing over the book material. The rest of the class is all project based and now the book becomes project reference.

As far as I'm concerned, I hope the for-profit system is shut down. The AI is not fully accredited and where I teach, we turn away all AI degrees if they want to pursue their education at the graduate level.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    At AIFL all the classes had textbooks, although some teachers didn't really use them or just picked out a few sections. You got the feeling that those books weren't really their idea. Although some books, even though not used in class, were quite good.

If they really force you to choose a book, even if you don't use it, pick something useful.

(btw, e-books? meh. taking away the ability to easy annotate, bookmark, highlight stuff?)
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Ok I have a few problems with this... I have a degree from a for profit as well as a major University.

Honestly I think both are shoddy when it comes to education.

However... The book requirement is not a BAD thing. I would argue its only motivated by profit IF and ONLY IF you are forced to pick from a specific publisher and or one of their own staff's books and they reap the profit from it. ( I had a class taught by Pixologic's Paul Grabouri... should we be pissed if the book we had to get was written by Paul Grabouri? It was a great book btw)

Think of it this way, you get the chance to put a book in the students hands that will be invaluable, even if at a later date. It is never a bad thing to have books. It can even be a generalized book but give them something that will help them in the long run, not just for your class. Dont like that? Then write your own book! Make a small book with the information you like and publish it as an ebook.

The point here is that you are over reacting and making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Lets just assume they dont give books, I doubt the tuition is going to drop..so at least you can get something worth while for what they are paying.

As for the guy suggesting for profit schools should be shut down? Really? I'm sorry but that is an idiotic statement. All schools make profit. "For profits" (naming convention) are allowed to have a more specialized curriculum.
    You want to shut down Gnomon as well or any of the other number of well to do skill centric schools?

At my University (UCSC) I was forced to take some of the most pointless classes just to meet some requirement put forth by the school, most of the books were written by their own academics on pointless subjects. I found a whole lot less crap at the for profit schools and a better education than from the UC itself (whic isnt saying much). I think your beef would better be placed at the accreditation systems for both school types.

Also if profit as a goal is a bad thing, just remember that most students go to schools to make more profit. You as an instructor are there not to make sure they pay as little as possible for an education, but rather, get the best education they can get for what they are paying. Keep it in the proper perspective!

btw I highly recommend watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxqWDsbjAzQ
    If anything, your biggest enemy should be whats mentioned in the documentary.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    What I don't understand is why the students are suppose to pay for books on top of the tuition for the course, shouldn't that be part of the tuition, or else is sort like hidden expenses.The students shouldn't be required to pay for this, since you can't complete the course without it.

That's what I find to be bullshit, the education system needs to have some quality control, too many so-called schools are getting support from the government, on top of taking tuition, and not delivering the goods.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    so we are clear, friends, I am a graduate of Ai. I don't actively try and bring down my school much anymore now that I'm busy making games for a living.

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-art-institute-of-california-orange-county-to-not-force-a-teacher-s-resignation-over-unnecessary-e-textbooks

almost 2k signatures and counting, Thanks to those who've supported this cause. Hopefully it's only a matter of time until corps like EDMC take a big hit after the govt finishes suing them for 11 billion. Things obviously need to change with the for profit system, and that's the broader problem.