Home General Discussion

Thief 4... chop, chop

Vio
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vio polycounter lvl 6
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/902054-thief-4-cgi-trailer-leaked-online

The old thief games are probably some of the best games I have ever played. I loved them for their level design and always felt it had such a brilliant stealth mechanic with the shadow stone.

Thief 4 however has been stuck in "development hell" for almost a decade or something silly. Every now and then this sort of thing happens in the games industry but its so annoying for me when its such a great title.

Sometimes there are understandable reasons for it but all I hear about this one is it being due to internal politics. I can't stand that sort of thing, if the studio dynamic is causing development bottlenecks, give up the project and let someone else fire it out. Thief is above politics!

Replies

• Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Development hell? They didn't announce it until 2009. DX:HR was announced in '07 and was released last year, and they didn't show any gameplay until 2010 at Gamescom. Coincidentally, Gamescom is next week.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Marine wrote: »
    Development hell? They didn't announce it until 2009. DX:HR was announced in '07 and was released last year, and they didn't show any gameplay until 2010 at Gamescom. Coincidentally, Gamescom is next week.
    Yeah, this part confuses me, the fans have been shouting for a new thief game since the dawn of time, but official 'leaks' only started around 2009.

So...unless I somehow missed a public memo or financial buckle with a hint of internal conflict, I don't remember how Thief 4 was considered Dev-Hell.
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's been a posting on the Eidos Montreal site for a Level Artist on Thief 4 for some time now, I think they're hard at work on it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I work with some former members of the dev team, they said there is a joke in town where its reffered to as theif: 4ever (as in development forever) haha
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Marine wrote: »
    There were hints of Thief 4 being in development well before that though. Regardless, it's been 3 years and the only thing that's been officially released is a that ridiculous Thi4f logo. Everything else has been leaked screenshots which might be from Thief and that leaked trailer which might not be fan made. I think we're ok to start wondering where the game is at.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    There were hints of Thief 4 being in development well before that though. Regardless, it's been 3 years and the only thing that's been officially released is a that ridiculous Thi4f logo. Everything else has been leaked screenshots which might be from Thief and that leaked trailer which might not be fan made. I think we're ok to start wondering where the game is at.

The game is not ready most likely and considering how old revamped games like Tribes, Hitman, etc got scrutinized and still are when the game isn't 'fully down the line', it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying surpass the Dishonored quality in terms of a demo.

First impressions count alot for nowdays...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sure, that's entirely reasonable. The last think I'd want is for them to rush out the game to appease the fans. I was just remarking that after this long, it's probably not that unreasonable to wonder out loud what ever happened to it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Oh sure, that's entirely reasonable. The last think I'd want is for them to rush out the game to appease the fans. I was just remarking that after this long, it's probably not that unreasonable to wonder out loud what ever happened to it.

There is a difference between taking time and working on it to provide a awesome piece, and ignoring it for years and assigning last minute rush development to the team who has no fuckin clue about the background of the game they were assigned to work on, which also may end up disappointing many fans due to lack of time spent on the game dev causing screw ups in the game.

There is already one huge example of this stunt, but then again its just me and my opinion.

EDIT: This teaser has been out for a while.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    There is a difference between taking time and working on it to provide a awesome piece, and ignoring it for years and assigning last minute rush development to the team who has no fuckin clue about the background of the game they were assigned to work on, which also may end up disappointing many fans due to lack of time spent on the game dev causing screw ups in the game.

We already have one huge example we dont need another one. But then again its just me and my opinion.

EDIT: This teaser has been out for a while.

I am sorry, where exactly are you getting all of this information.

We have people here who worked at Eidos Montreal.

Entitlement is a bitch.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    I am sorry, where exactly are you getting all of this information.

We have people here who worked at Eidos Montreal.

Entitlement is a bitch.

Look I am not trying to take up a fight with anyone, but alot of that has been going on lately. A huge example would be Diablo 3. (no offense to anyone who worked on it.)

I never pointed out fingers. I was referring to that example to differentiate between putting a hard work in game dev project (that may take time,) and just working on game dev project and pacing things up to meet the deadline. Doesnt matter what fans expect. (No offense to you and PC members who've worked at Eidos. If so, I apologize)
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    There is a difference between taking time and working on it to provide a awesome piece, and ignoring it for years and assigning last minute rush development to the team who has no fuckin clue about the background of the game they were assigned to work on...

...was referring to that example to differentiate between putting a hard work in game dev project (that may take time,) and just working on game dev project and pacing things up to meet the deadline. Doesnt matter what fans expect.

Again, where are you getting these facts from? From someone you know at Eidos Montreal or just a personal opinion turned into speculation turned into rumour turned into fact?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I have quite a few friends at Eidos Montreal, and after a slow start, it's only been in full production maybe 2 or 3 years.

And there are some absolutely wonderfully talented artists working on it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    Again, where are you getting these facts from? From someone you know at Eidos Montreal or just a personal opinion turned into speculation turned into rumour turned into fact?

Are you having a bad day sir? If so, I should leave this thread in peace. I never said Opinion based on facts. A personal opinion based on the previous game release that I soo dearly waited for and when it was released it didnt endup like it was suppose to. In other words I dont have facts.

For the record I am not spreading any rumours nor I intend to.

EDIT: Also I didnt mean to piss of anyone.
  • Robert Cummings
    I'm a developer and I don't think everything that fails to materialize needs to be commented on. Sometimes we've got to swtich projects if it makes financial sense. It's not an industry without risk, and most of the time it's not even the developer's fault.

And don't forget it's a *very* small industry, be careful who you piss off online if you're intending to work in the industry. Burning bridges and all that :)
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/08/sob-thief-4-sneaking-onto-next-gen-consoles/
    ...a rumour in the latest Official Xbox Magazine – and further validated by CVG – suggests that they’re now aiming for it to be a next-next-gen console release. And that means it’d be Christmas 2013 at the very, very earliest.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a developer and I don't think everything that fails to materialize needs to be commented on. Sometimes we've got to swtich projects if it makes financial sense. It's not an industry without risk, and most of the time it's not even the developer's fault.

And don't forget it's a *very* small industry, be careful who you piss off online if you're intending to work in the industry. Burning bridges and all that :)

It's sad that big potty mouthed vets in the industry are immune to this rule. Oh whats that? You say the PC market is absolute tripe and that your macho shooter was supposed to rival Citizen Kane in terms of story compared to all the other shitty soup people are making?

Also, that you guys mud slinging other companies backed up by PR firms whom you pay 1 million dollars in Ad's alone is better spent there instead of talking about your own games and their own merits?

Well, you're vet and well known in the industry, so please by all means say whatever you want.

On the other hand, an artist so much as utters a word on how say a DLC was made is sub-par in quality, and everyone pretty much puts him in a position of burning bridges. What a fun industry we sure live in! Sometimes I wonder if people want to be character veteran artists so their opinion cannot be voided automatically...

Anyhow, RPS says that T4 might go next gen or at least a 2013 release, until then, nothing more to say.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace: reduce your caffeine intake

back to the topic: nothing wrong with speculating about the state of Thief 4
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    It's sad that big potty mouthed vets in the industry are immune to this rule. Oh whats that? You say the PC market is absolute tripe and that your macho shooter was supposed to rival Citizen Kane in terms of story compared to all the other shitty soup people are making?

Also, that you guys mud slinging other companies backed up by PR firms whom you pay 1 million dollars in Ad's alone is better spent there instead of talking about your own games and their own merits?

Well, you're vet and well known in the industry, so please by all means say whatever you want.

On the other hand, an artist so much as utters a word on how say a DLC was made is sub-par in quality, and everyone pretty much puts him in a position of burning bridges. What a fun industry we sure live in! Sometimes I wonder if people want to be character veteran artists so their opinion cannot be voided automatically...

Anyhow, RPS says that T4 might go next gen or at least a 2013 release, until then, nothing more to say.

Yeah I've have seen that burning bridges card used far too much on PC increasingly in some very innocent debates. Lets not forget while we are on here on the "general" forum we might not always speaking as artists at work, probably people who actually like to play the games when they get home of course. At the end of the day the vast majority of debates on here don't involve people who want to burn all bridges across the entire world based on 1 opinion.

As a huge fan of the series of thief, I don't mind who makes it, as long as it doesn't get swamped or stuck somewhere. I'm eager to see this title come back ,not just for the game play but to see if a revival will live up to how good the old games were in terms of the character, the story and awesome levels.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Vio wrote: »
    Yeah I've have seen that burning bridges card used far too much on PC increasingly in some very innocent debates..

eh? I've seen it only a small handful of times in my 8 years posting here. Good rule of thumb is to not attack the artist/creator when critiquing work.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    this whole thing remember me Duke nukem forever and diablo 3... too many years of development and wasted money, and at the end... meh.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Robert has a point tho; An artist who is not in the game industry just yet or fairly new in the game industry does have a higher chance of not getting a job if his reputation gets ruined in Polycount community by veteran game artists.(assuming thats what he meant by burning bridges.)

I understand that everyone loves being a dick here but it may cost others dearly (who dont deserve it). So we can choose not to be depending on our situation until we have solid grounds. :)

So we are talking like what, another 5 years? xD

Based on MIGHT + 2013
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr, development hitting roadblocks is common and can be attributed to myriad of reasons. Discussing whether it is what is happening at Eidos Montreal is not the problem.

Claiming that the developers behind the title are underqualified, uninformed and are simply going through the motions is fairly presumptuous. Eidos Montreal's accomplishment with Deus Ex suggests otherwise. The community members who are at the studio are likely not at liberty to speak openly about the situation, if there is even a situation to speak of. That is why I quoted you twice.

How this turned into a "burning bridges" and newbies being unfairly blacklisted, I have no idea.

Simply, try to keep your emotional speculations in check since this is a closely knit community with member of every major studio in the industry.

Criticisms are ok, naturally.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    The smell of burning bridges makes my stomach growl. yummy! nice and crunchy bridge! lol

anyhow, yall keep in mind that all it takes is for one loud, unhappy employee to make a project look like its in dev hell. And the unhappy ones are always the loudest. Why else don't we hear things like "halo 5 dev is going swimmingly."
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message