Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

King Kazma

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
388291_2794378942960_226969767_n.jpg
So as a random piece i decieded i wanted to do for portfolio ive decieded to do king kazma from summer wars. Typical too cool guy character.

317491-king_kazma_1_large.png

so i created a style guide :P
styleguide.jpg

Replies

• jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vest.jpg
    vest wip

comments would be nice.... >.>
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pants.jpg
    again comments would be cool, but i guess no one likes to comment lol
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Summer Wars was a great movie. It's getting there so far, a bit too early for me to critique.

Not sure if you've seen it, but you can use this as reference, the materials have been done well there.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay a comment lol XD
    ahh cool. i havent seen that finished :P
    like i saw a part of it when i was looking up reference images, but never saw the full image, but i was gonna try a style that a bit less hyper realistic, but thanks for the comment :D
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more wips
    mostofbody.jpg gonna do the belt next i suppose. or maybe the head.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    why are you doing his legs like that? they look completely wrong. i'll admit i didn't know this character but after a quick image search, nothing i found had him with legs like those.. also maybe block out the model and get the proportions right before sculpting, i think you'll save yourself a lot of hassle down the line.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i guess the reason i had the sway was because of the toy figure
    o0450060010571416424.jpgmaxf06138a.jpghttp:
    i was thinking about worried about proportions after i baked, but it would probably be more beneficial before?
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <whoops>
    double post
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kazmarender.jpg
    i know i havent posted for a while, but what do you think?
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    jermaineb wrote: »
    kazmarender.jpg
    i know i havent posted for a while, but what do you think?

Think about that silhouette more. His hands are way too small compared to your source images, the big hands were definitely a big characteristic choice for him. Let's see some more!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also note that the torso and legs are a lot thicker than either the toy or the art above. It kinda looks more like the "chubby" version of the character.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great feedback. :P will make adjustments and ill probably post a few more renders from different angles.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Turn off all the filters and don't cover his face with a lensflare if you're wanting feedback.
    From what i can see right now though he needs work on his specular.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i took you guys advise and tried to make it more so proportionality to the reference images i had.
    kazmamany.jpg
    is there anything else that you see that could help push it?
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Good progress so far but I would take a step back, and compare your model to the reference images you have.

1. Too much bloom for me in this latest render. There seems to be a visible seam on his arm (refer to the rightmost image).

2. His waist is much tighter and his overall physique makes him appear fat, unless thats just the jacket?

3. His goggles don't have straps and are a similar blue of his pants.

4. It seems you've forgotten to include the cylinder in the gap of his shoe which right now kinda makes his shoe damaged, ha!

5. His belt doesn't have an orb looking thing on the front but some sort of trophy looking thing with wings.

6. His hands seem to be larger too on the reference.

Keep it up, hope to see some cool changes man!
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help everyone :P
    MrNinjutsu wrote: »
    Good progress so far but I would take a step back, and compare your model to the reference images you have.

1. Too much bloom for me in this latest render. There seems to be a visible seam on his arm (refer to the rightmost image).

2. His waist is much tighter and his overall physique makes him appear fat, unless thats just the jacket?

3. His goggles don't have straps and are a similar blue of his pants.

4. It seems you've forgotten to include the cylinder in the gap of his shoe which right now kinda makes his shoe damaged, ha!

5. His belt doesn't have an orb looking thing on the front but some sort of trophy looking thing with wings.

6. His hands seem to be larger too on the reference.

Keep it up, hope to see some cool changes man!

1)oks. ill just not use bloom, but it so easier to make it look better lol. And the seam is from my normal ill try to fix that somehow lol.

2) I'm unsure at least on the torso section what to do, because the jacket isn't form fitting its more or less floating. I could bring the waist in, but i wasn't sure if that would look completely odd.

3)I saw a few images that had a complete strap around the head. then i saw ones without them. (mostly the 2d images) so i went without them. And the colors are a tad different, because i grabbed the base colors from the images when texturing.

4)lol yeh i guess it was one of those things i guess i felt might be a waste of a few polys, but will add :P

5)yeh i have that there, but its probably because its being out shined by the reflection/specularity

6)i shall scale again :P

thanks again this really helps :P
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres an update ive adjusted to fit to cater to the feedback.
    kazmamany2.jpg
    any other idea?
    I also had a question. i have polygons that dont show in marmoset. yet show in my modeling application. And i check the vertex normals and theyre pointed in the right direction. so im a bit confused on that.