Home Technical Talk

baking normals in max

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
okay i'm sure this has been covered a millllllllion times but i think my question is a special unique snowflake. i baked the normals from a hi poly to a low poly object in max, and the viewport displays it blocky, but it renders fine... what's going on?:poly122:

asdyk.jpg

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    All verts welded? Did you reset xform of the objects before bake? Have you tried another way to display the image, udk/unity/toolbag?
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    yes and yes. i tried xoliul shader, it works fine with xoliul... i guess it must be the nitrous viewport shader. but why specifically in this one? i ve done other bakes with no problem... and baking in outside programs like xnormal produced some similar errors, so i am led to believe it's max's fault (no surprise there)
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a common issue is the Max's Gamma/LUT Correction. Turn that off and it may help. Also When baking make sure any overlapped pieces are pushed over one whole unit in any direct. Baking overlapped uv's produces bad results. If you're baking with a cage make sure to fix any overlapping issue with the cage. If you don't you'll be projecting the opposite side on the surface.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    turns out it was the nitrous viewport's fault....with directx display everything works fine.

autodesk, you know... they "fix" one thing, break ten in the process.

thanks for the replies everyone!
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, glad you got it fixed. Though mention what software you're using. I'm using Max 2011 and don't have nitrous so I would never have thought it to be an issue.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    xoliul and nitrous dont play well together