Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mission Improbable - HL2 release

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
Hey friends. Magnar Jenssen and I have finally finished a remake of his endlessly-praised and fantastic Mission Improbable, and added in the final level in the trilogy.

We set up a website here:
www.missionimprobable.org

Our modDB page is here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mission-improbable

A couple of screenshots:

05.jpg
42.jpg
65.jpg
78.jpg

There's more on the ModDB site buy they show early development stuff, which is quite interesting to see how it progresed if you're interested.

We made about 300 new models, 300 new textures, and replaced just about every piece of HL2 content we could in the timeframe we gave ourselves.

There's some sloppy stuff, no doubt. After working all day and then pulling the *nth all-nighter you tend to get into the "fuck it, it'll do" mindset.
A lot of the development mirrored professional game development in the worst possible way, to name a few things:
- too much R&D at the start, wasting time on small things that got cut
- obscene polycount and tetxure sizes that needed to be optimised at the end
- playthroughs generating hundreds of fixes, a bug list that grew exponentially
- panic once we reached the end of development, followed by:
- late nights, terrible junk food as sustenance
- pushing out a release at the break of dawn, and literally collapsing into a coma
- a release celebration that required a week to recover fully and return sleeping schedules back to normal

We definately learnt a lot doing this, and if you have any questions I'm sure we'll be happy to answer them.

It'd be great if you could download it and give it a spin, you only need HL2:Episode 2 and it should run just fine.
Feel free to criticise, all comments welcome, but I don't have it in me to release a patch to fix everything, but it'd be great to get feedback for future projects! Also be aware everything you dislike I also dislike, just didn't have the time or energy to fix :P

Replies