Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Desert Environment (Diablo 3 Caldeum inspired)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
Hey all! I posted this on the waywo thread a little while back, had a few days to mess around at the time and started a desert environment that was very much inspired by Act II of Diablo 3. Since then I hadn't been able to work on it, but I just got back around to it today, so I decided to start a w.i.p. thread for it. Here's what I ended with a few weeks ago:

Caldeum_WIP_07a.jpg

Caldeum_WIP_07.jpg

At this point it still needed a lot of work. The biggest thing being some subject matter and story telling. But then I got to the point where the composition of the scene was working against what I had planned for it. I felt like it would have been a cool composition if I left the scene where it was at, but if I wanted to start adding some props for points of interest and story telling, it might start cluttering up the scene. So i took a step back and re-evaluated my composition and came up with this:

Caldeum_WIP_08.jpg

Still lots of work to do!!! But now i feel like it opens up the scene more for a better vista and stuff :). I guess I could've avoided all of this if I roughed out some thumbnails and basic concepts... but I kinda jumped the gun on this one. One night I made a rock, and the scene kinda just snowballed out of it. Currently my plan is to add some creature bones, an abandoned merchant wagon, and a city facade in the back. The city stuff will probably bleed into the foreground a little bit with some destroyed ruins as well. I'll also need to add some bubbley stuff to the tar and make it feel more like tar, and get a better sky in there. Like I said, still very heavily work in progress and still lots to do. But I kinda like where it's going, so hopefully i can finish it soon. Like I mentioned before, I kinda didn't plan anything out, so comments, crits, and suggestions are very much appreciated!! :)

one last thing... the wide image is the result of stitching a few screenshots together. Anyone know of any better was to take panoramic shots?

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I allways thought that when i played tha tpart in Diablo that i found the nicest rocks in any game ever. Awesome scene, you really captured the feeling.
    Personally i prefer the handpainted style they had going on, if you where aiming for that it didnt really come through. This looks alot moore realistic.
    But that might have been your goal.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    i like it! but by the third screenshot that sun gets a bit annoying on the eyes.
  • DirkJan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirkJan polycounter lvl 4
    Looks nice Bbox85. I always look forward to see how your scenes develope. Subscribed!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    love it. really nice to look at!
  • Yeenke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeenke polycounter lvl 8
    it has really nice atmosphere.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looking really nice. i love me some rocks!
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man i hate act 2....but this is sweet.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys!! I'm glad you like it! :)

Visceral - I really dig the hand painted look as well; however, it wasn't my goal to get that look. But yeah, if it was, I failed big time, lol.

mixeh - I'm actually fighting with that sun. I'll probably try to come up with something that isn't so bloomy, but it helps make the scene feel a little more hot. Though, in the end this is supposed to be just one wide image, so hopefully the sun won't be that annoying when it's just one image to look at.

sipher3325 - DUDE!! I HATE ACT 2 ALSO!!! But it was so pretty :)
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work here!! Do you think you could show some shots of the rock sculpts, and possibly some texture flats? I would love to see your process in creating these awesome shapes as well!!
  • Marchwarden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that looks just as good as the D3 level. I loved the look and feel of Caldeum, it was so interesting and you've captured it.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I like the second shot better, it would be neat to have footprints (human or creature) going up those sand-hills towards maybe a hut?
  • |MM|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You like to put the sun in the middle of an image, don't you? :)
    Still looks cool, but almost all you're images are like that.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    |MM| wrote: »
    You like to put the sun in the middle of an image, don't you? :)
    Still looks cool, but almost all you're images are like that.

Shhhhh... Don't let everyone hear you :P Haha! Yeah, actually Raul pointed out the same thing. To be honest, I didn't even catch onto it until this scene. Must be some personal liking of mine. I did try throwing the sun in other places... but it somehow just ends up in the middle. Might be a nice experiment for me to try something different...Idunno... :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Haha just noticed that as well :P

Either way your work has been kicking ass Bbox85. I think once you add in the merchant wagon (good chance to get some pops of colour in there) and those creature bones (could use some as foreground silhouettes to help frame up the scene) I think you'll have something really nice to show.

I'd also try moving the sun over to the left / right some more once you get more pieces in, could help create some subtle rim lighting that may create some extra "magic" within the enviroment.

Weop, really looking forward to more updates!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty :D Can we see some breakdowns so far?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looking really sweet Bbox85! I wonder if you would talk some about your approach on the rocks in this scene? Would be very cool to hear some about that :)

Looking forward for updates!
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing stuff man!
  • stxtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work - I like the second shot the most. Any plans for some architectural elements? It could really help add some interest and storytelling to the scene.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    This is amazing, very well done. like stxtch said adding some architecture will make these pic even more awesome than they already are. Perhaps just a well done mate painting of Caldeum city in the distance? keep up the good work!!!
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    stxtch / xxxcubanxxx - Architectural elements indeed!! That's all part of the plan :) Which is why I opened up the shot a bit. A lot of people seem to like the level of detail the 2nd shot serves but I felt like it was constraining me a bit in terms of composition and other elements that i planned to add in. In this case, bones, busted wagons, and architecture. I will definitely be adding a facade of caldeum city, that's a must!! But yeah, we're on the same page guys :)

As far as my rock workflow goes... Some of you will probably laugh at this but a lot of times I like to make a single rock that does most of the job for me. Stand alone, this rock might look really dumb, but through rotation, scaling, and clever placement, it can provide some interesting rock formations. In this case, the rock I'm using looks like this:

Rock_Workflow.jpg

TEXTURE IS HIGHLY WORK IN PROGRESS!!! I looks a bit like tree bark right now, but I'll get around to fixing that a little later. For now, it seems to be getting the job done when placed in the scene. Anyway, as you can see, this rock looks a little odd. But with this, and a variant of the same rock that i made a little bit more pointy (literally just took some verts and pulled them out a bit), I was able to create a rock formation like this:

Caldeum_WIP_05.jpg

Not including the temporary rubble, this is all the same rock. The cliffs in the back are the same rock just scaled up. In the foreground, wherever it gets a bit repetitious, I'll use some sand to break things up a bit. After this, to help with blending and create a bit more uniqueness in the rock formations, I created 2 variants of a rock rubble mesh, and a flat pancake-like rock mesh:

Rock_Workflow_02.jpg

To create these, I sculpted out small rocks, baked them out and combined them to create the rock rubble. The pancake-like rocks are the same rocks, just flattened out. Normally I wouldn't think to do that, but I did a quick experiment and it ended up working out and not distorting the texture. Since making these, I've actually discovered some new tricks on creating rock rubble more efficiently and better looking. So I'm tempted to re-do these assets. If it comes to that, I'll fill you all in on the process :) . But after all that, I got the scene to this state:

Caldeum_WIP_06.jpg

It wasn't until after this that I started implementing the pancake rock, but you can see the result of that in the images at the top of the thread. It took a bit to get the hang of the main rock, at times i felt like the shape of it held me back a bit, but overall I think the rock proved itself somewhat useful. I think there's room for a few more rock meshes, perhaps a larger more spikey rock, used to create some more interesting silhouettes, and one for large cliff faces. But yeah, so far this has been my approach to this scene. Hope this explanation was somewhat insightful! :)

Updates to the scene coming soon!! I haven't been able to work on it during the week, but I'm hoping to get some good progress in this weekend.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Oooh man. DAT ROCK SCULPT! Big well defined rock formations and great finish with the crumble surface really makes it for me! Well used repetition wise to, you make it feel a lot more fleshier then just one big rock model. Not sure if that bake makes it justices though!

If you where to re-make them, or ad in more, it would be awesome to see the sculpt process to!
  • stxtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    Thumbs up for all of this... really smart move using a single rock scaled in different ways! Thanks for sharing your process.