Home Unreal Engine

Reimport FBX models, only one part is imported

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
When I export a model, which consist of several objects (so not all objects are merged into one) to FBX, and then later rightclick the model in UDK and choose to reimport it, it only import one of the objects in the file, instead of all of them.

Anyone know how to avoid this? And is it bad to export all your models as FBX instead of using ASE for static models?

Replies

• DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Don't believe you can change it, just have to use the standard import for re-importing sets.

ASE is almost a legacy format at this point. I don't think it supports qualified normals either, so stick with FBX.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want it to change it, actually I want it to reimport it as how I imported them in the first place, but it doesn't. And that's what doesn't make sense to me.

Regarding ASE, I was asking because I couldn't get collision mesh to work, but I have later read that you apparently need a suffix in the name, such as OCX_mymesh_01. The thing is, if UDK don't let me easy reimport the mesh, which I might have 50 places in the level, I rather use the old format ASE, where I can reclick the mesh and reimport, then having to import the mesh again and then replace the old ones.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I've run into this as well but in my case it was destroying any tangents I had imported and overwriting them. The fix for this is really annoying but the only one I have found. Rather than right clicking and choosing "re-import file" you need to import it all over again from scratch. Give it the exact same location and file naming and it will replace the old file with all the materials intact.

The catch is, if you import it incorrectly or without the exact naming convention you will end up with a duplicate file. However when it is exact it will replace the old model entirely. Like I said, annoying but it worked for me.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that is an annoying issue, especially since its suppose to replace the ASE import I guess. I think I might will go legacy a bit for some of my meshes, or else I will try doing it as you suggest. Cheers.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    What are you exporting with?

I sometimes do the same process with 3dsmax > UDK.
    I have a 'scene' with multiple objects in max > Export > FBX
    When I import it into UDK it seperates the whole 'scene' into its sub objects (As it should) and it names them from the fbx file name (or what you specify).

So if the name is model1, it appends.
    So model1, model1_001, model1_002. Something like that.

So, when I need to re-import it, I find the parent model > reimport and it automatically re-imports all the sub objects with it.

I've never used ASE. I learn't the process for fbx and have been using it ever since.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using MAX and export several objects in one FBX. When I import it in UDK, it works perfectly, it import all the objects into one model (Skeletal Mesh & Combined Static Mesh), but if I then right click the model and choose Reimport, it will only import of part of the model.

Crap, and I wanted to show example of what I mean, and now I can't get it to do it wrong! Argh, typical.