MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
most likely a newbie mistake somewhere:

tserror.jpg

Replies

• MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there an easy way to fix this ? I tried using P connect (graphite modeling tools) to connect the edges but it is a tedious and lengthy process.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    is there an easy way to fix this ? I tried using P connect (graphite modeling tools) to connect the edges but it is a tedious and lengthy process.

When you begin to model high-poly stuff, it is a tedious and lengthy process, yes. But, once you get used to it and learn the tricks of how to do it, it becomes quicker and easier. Even fun, sometimes.

Really, you want to have a think about the shape you want to make before you model it, and try to figure out how it might be easier to build it without that crazy ngon.

There's also a thread on the forums somewhere that deals with modelling tricky shapes. You might want to have a look through that to get some good ideas on how to tackle this.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the answer glynn. While I have found some usefull modeling techniques I have not come across how to deal with difficult NGON shapes once you already have them =P

hmm I will try to redo this mesh using a bezier spline, maybe that works better.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The problem you got isn't that you have a large ngon, but that you have an concave ngon.
    Check out the picture I made below.
    There is three rows: Convex ngon, Concave ngon and an adjusted concave ngon.

Untitled.jpg

The first row got three shapes, ngons, which are convex. These are good ngons when using anything that adds more polygons to your model, such as turbosmooth. No matter which vertex two vertex you connect, you will always be inside the ngon.

Now below it is overall the same shape but as you can see, it has an inset in it, which is bad when you are dealing with turbosmooth. Try drawing lines between all the vertexes and you will see some of the lines will get drawn outside the shape.

Now the last row is the same as above it, but this time with a couple of guided edges put in. Now, no matter which two vertexes in the same polygon is connected, they will never go outside the overall shape. And as you can see, the polygons have different amount of edges, so it doesn't matter how many sides there is, as long all the vertexes can be connected without going outside the shape.

I hope this might help you in fixing the issues you have.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You could try hitting it with the quadrify command from the graphite tools
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe the Tesselate modifier will help? I'm not sure, but could give it a try. Just make sure to turn the tension all the way up, otherwise it'll change the shape.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    If you use the Tesselate (which seem that it might work), don't use the Edge option but choose Face-Center option, which won't cut up your edges, but only connect the vertexes, so you don't get messed up shapes.
    But the easiest way is still just putting in a couple of cuts, as I explained earlier, you will have more control over your model and you know you don't get random edges.