Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Wesley - Environment & Prop Artist

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Wesley polycounter lvl 13
www.wesleymackinder.com

Hey! I would really appreciate if you guys could give my whole site some crit. The work, the layout, the CV and everything.

Couple of notes:
If I were looking at this I would suggest having name attached to images, because apparently people will save images and not remember/write down where they came from. I've not done that, but I have put my full name in the filename of every image. Would that be enough (note: I'm the only Wesley Mackinder you'll find when Google-ing)?

I've also heard advice saying don't show unfinished work, but I've put them in a Work in Progress section. Would that be okay? I wanted to have those there because I could talk about the pirate ship in an interview maybe (it's my only original design).

I like MAXScript. But again, I've gotten mixed advice about whether to include stuff like that.

That wasn't meant to be a, "give me crit but I'm not listening" bit. It's just some thoughts I've myself had about it all.

My biggest question though, is after seeing the site, would I actually be okay applying for junior positions? I have no idea how much stuff (I know it's not just about quantity) you should have before applying.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    simple and straightforward i like the layout, your work looks very good to me as well. You can always start applying and just keep posting more and more work
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great :) Its definitely a solid start! It really wouldnt hurt to just start throwing your portofio and resume out to studios in your area and keep just pumping out work. You say you are an environment and prop artist, so I say try to push different vital skills studios look for in an environment artist, especially if they are looking for someone who can stick around and be almost an all around guy. Try to vary your work. Right now you have a lot of photo sourced work. I say try doing some modular environment pieces possibly, and showing some prop lineups with various props just modeled out. Like chairs, boxes, etc etc. Simple stuff. But sometimes its stuff like that catches eyes. Not that you can do the big things. Sure, if you can make a full environment, and that probably means you can make a chair, and other various minor props, but its all about mental games. Just showing you can with a simple prop stage lineup render, can go a long way! If you are going with hand painted textures for the pirate ship.... That should really push your portfolio to the next level. Showing you have that ability as well.

Just some points to look out for and from research I have done for myself, because I am currently building work for my portfolio (which I am having problems with the code and my image uploader currently so my work section is barren for the time being until I have the time and work to put up). All constructive man! Its looking good though, I like it.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Hey thanks guys. Yeah I do plan on taking a break from that environment (I need to do an exterior and vehicle) and finish that cartoon pirate ship. After that I was thinking of looking at exterior buildings using modular pieces and that fancy UDK building-maker-thing.