Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Animation feedback

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
:poly115:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3f0WxcVFtg"]stormcloakwip5 - YouTube[/ame]
^ youtube video for the ones who don't feel like playing the webplayer version :poly127:

http://thatanimator.com/dump/stormcloakunitywip/
^ webplayer version, presented realtime with the option for a freeflight camera (w,a,s,d + mouse) so that you can fly around and pick shit apart :poly122:

stormcloakwip11.jpg

Looking for some feedback, mainly regarding the animation! :poly142:
The character and the textures are of course not up to par with anything standard these days, I'm gonna go back and maybe dabble just a tad in them, but not too much tbh..:\

Thanks for any feedback!:poly136:

Replies

• kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kippernicus polycounter lvl 11
    I'm no animator, but it all looks pretty solid to me! Very nice work. The only thing that stood out to me was how it looked a bit strange to see his head turn the other way on the third action; when he pulls the sword back towards himself. Also, maybe give the sword a little more weight. There isn't a lot of follow through in the actions. Given his build and the size of the sword, I'd expect him to be a tad more encumbered.

Hope that makes sense. Keep up the great work, thatanimator! :)
  • kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kippernicus polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, wow! Didn't even notice the webplayer at first. That is really cool. I hope you plan on continuing to use that. :)
  • nkonstantino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you animating his robes with Unity's cloth animation, or are they rigged to move themselves?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys!:)
    it looked a bit strange to see his head turn the other way on the third action.
    that is actually what the guy was doing in the ref video I used for the first couple of moves! I'm not a huge fan of that move and pose to begin with, but since it was part of the ref and part of a series of a swords-art or whatever, I've kept it.
    There isn't a lot of follow through in the actions. Given his build and the size of the sword, I'd expect him to be a tad more encumbered.
    That could be true!:poly122:
    I'll go back and add some more movement to the sword and the arms when he stops between each move!
    Wonder if I'll manage to make it easy on myself by adding it as a layer or if I should just do it proper on the current keys:poly142:
    Oh, wow! Didn't even notice the webplayer at first. That is really cool. I hope you plan on continuing to use that. :)
    Yeah! That is actually the only way I present my animations on my website, other than my reel. There are 3 different web player links on my page, to show off the animations in realtime.

I understand it's more fun to watch animations properly in realtime rather than just a video - like we haven't seen a youtube link before!:poly117:
    On the other side, it could fuck me over if people notice some shitty keys or clipping that one could otherwise have hidden using a video!:poly136:

Are you animating his robes with Unity's cloth animation, or are they rigged to move themselves?
    stormcloakwip12.jpg

No I always handkey all my cloth and hair or whatever else.
    In this case, I've only used two joints, one for the front and one for the back, not even a chain. I've rotated them a ton, but also translated them in some parts, even one might not want to do that :poly122:
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty nice.

The slashes seem a bit robotic to me. And that's because the blade stops on a dime. Some ease-in and ease-outs would help.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    Pretty nice.

The slashes seem a bit robotic to me. And that's because the blade stops on a dime. Some ease-in and ease-outs would help.

aye I guess that's the first thing to go over huh.
    was kinda trying to have him freeze in place, but to sell it I guess the cameras would have to be different :)

I'll go over those kind of parts again!
    Thanks!
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no animator, but his movements looks very feminine, and a bit robotic. Other than that I found it very good. Seems like you a lot of work to get it to this point!