Home General Discussion

Z4: Musical Env Artist

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
Hey all,

I am an environment artist during the day, but lately I have been focusing hardcore on my musical stuffs. I specifically just want to make you fellow artists laugh with a hilarious video along with fill up some of your modeling ear time with some of my tunez. Of course support and feedback would be icing on the cake!

Basically I am planning to finish up my debut Z4 Album by the end of 2012 / early 2013, and need a little help to get there.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/722291939/z4-music

z4kickasswavepowersmall.jpg

And here is a link to some samples if you hate videos.

Thanks for watching / reading / supporting! I truly appreciate it!

Replies

• chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    that video is hilarious!
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay: Im just curious as to which producers you are referring to? Also, Isn't kickstarter supposed to welcome the amateurs who are really passionate and show the ability to create something, but need that extra bit of cash to hopefully be successful?

Lastly, What areas to you did you see that make me seem dubious so I can improve them?

I would love some more in-depth feedback!

And thanks blankslatejoe! I am glad you enjoyed it!
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey zuko - that video is flippin awesome man, I seriously lol'd at it. Ill gladly pledge a couple bucks to help you on your way as thanks for the laughs.

TeeJay, you do raise some very valid points. Sure, anybody can scrounge, build up what they need bit by bit and get a cd out. Are they better for it? I have no idea and don't want to speculate. I have no musical ability at all, but I'm sure the process you described would be a similar thing to me wanting to learn to work on cars, where its largely about tools and experience... things that take a lot of time and effort to build up and perfect.

What I see that Zuko is doing here is just taking a shot that enough people might see that he has some very real talent that could continue to grow and develop. It seems to me that he isn't trying to buy stuff he thinks is fun, just that he is hoping that enough people will be willing to help him out with a few dollars so that he can get some equipment that he wants to keep producing music and maybe make some really kick-ass tunes one day.

If I was at all a decent artist and I thought the community at large would be willing to help me get a better computer, wacom, whatever, I think that I would be a real fool for NOT taking a chance, putting myself out there and hoping for the best.

If you dont like his music, there is nothing wrong with that. I hate 80% of what I hear out there in the world, and Ill even admit that Zukos work isnt fully to my taste, but dont just hate on a dude who put himself out there and is obviously trying really hard to make something happen. He must have put a crapload of work into that video, and what I heard of his music sounds like hes trying really hard to get better. There is no reason to step on somebodies dream just because they are giving it a shot... if you don't like it, don't pledge. I would hate for anybody to give up on something before giving it some real effort.

Zuko, keep at it man. I hope it works out and one day you can look back and say "if it wasnt for that kickstarter, I wouldn't be where I am today"
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay: Thanks for the full feedback! I just wanted more insight as to what you were getting at above and you gave it! thanks

Mechadus: Thanks for the support! I hope that I will be able to look back and say that!

I truly appreciate it all!
  • The Duke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff and great video.

TeeJay: So maybe Kickstarter isn't the way you choose to do things. That's fine, but there's no reason others can't. The whole point of the site is to help anyone with any creative project fund their work. If you really think about it, given enough time, any project could be self funded. Kickstarter exists to help bypass months or years of saving so that these great creative works can be realized sooner rather than later.

And really, if people didn't like the music, they wouldn't pledge, so it's no different than if he waited to finish the album before selling it. Either way, he gets no money if his work is bad.

Keep working at it, man, the work so far has great potential.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do understand where you are coming from TeeJay and I can respect that!

Just thought I'd post an update here to the kickstarter which is a neat improv video to the digital paradise background beat. Enjoy!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/722291939/z4-music/posts/277247

Thanks to anyone who watches or supports!
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this thread with another improv video. Theres gotta be more peeps out on this forum who would appreciate this. :)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je8BkRKRd14"]Z4: Take the Wind Improv - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks!
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, thanks for the support. There is only 17 hours left so I am bumping for anyone else who may be interested.

Thanks again
    Chris
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think I am not getting this. What do you need the money for ? I mean, precisely.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its layed out on the kickstarter link but here is a what kind of musical stuff I would need to purchase to hit the quality bar that I want to hit.

Various Little plugins as well as the bigger stuff.
    Hope that clears things up.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    Damn Zuko, that's great music! I love that stuff. If the kickstarter doesn't help, maybe bandcamp? Keep it up! ^_^
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    don't get stuff for nexus imo. most packs for it sound candy/gucci as hell and have been overused almost as much as omnisphere or dblue glitch. spend that money on a nice pair of studio monitors and one of those $150 D36 auralex roominator kits instead; you'll have a LOT more fun and i can promise you that you will create better tracks.

you don't need more expensive plugins and professional mastering to make good tracks. a good master just polishes off a good mix, and a good mix comes along with good composition and good instrument choices. try and work the candy presets out and get your own personal instruments in.

you've already got the excellent eastwest orchestral and rock packs, which is all the sampled stuff you really need for what you're doing. try to stop using candy presets and get a decent softsynth so you can make your own sounds; there are plenty of great free ones out there so you can learn. use layering, abuse the effects chain, and don't use the instrument's built in reverb ever. use a separate reverb plugin (i like the free Ambience by Magnus and SIR1 by Christian Knufinke) on a return bus and send instruments you want 'wet' to that so they all mesh together and sound coherent.

if you insist on buying instruments, you'd be much better off with Reason 6 or NI's Komplete. but yeah, IMO studio monitors and room treatments first, then learn to craft your own sounds to stand out from the crowd.

just my two cents re: your kickstarter shopping list and re: making a more professional sound.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

Racer I will definitely utilize your advice as much as possible. I've been trying to explore other areas and expanding ever so slowly. Now that I have a butt ton of free time I should be able to execute a lot of what I've been wanting to do.
    Also.. the reverb tip is going to be useful right away (:

Thanks again! Truly Appreciate it! :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Racer. Money is best spent on quality hardware that gives you the greatest and clearest representation of sound. Quality studio monitors, sound card and room treatment. There are loads of completely free DAWs and software instruments and effects that do a top job.