Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

sci-fi revolver [WIP]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
Building a sci-fi revolver from the concept art of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This is my mesh and wireframe. Final poly count is 4583 tris. Tweaking occlusion and then the texturing fun begins.

e7A3A.png
Bsv7h.png

Replies

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    you may want to consider going back and editing your edge widths on the high poly, when baked down a lot of them are turning to noise.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a4VZi.png

Sorry man, noob here. Are you talking about this artifacting? Because those artifacts are from maya displaying my mesh funky in the perspective window. It happens every time there's a lot of geo in close proximity, maya displays it as though it's overlapping.

If you're referencing something else, I may need more help understanding what you mean.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: textured the revolver. Looking for crit now!

iOoBD.jpg
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    I would push the spec a bit more to separate the different material types.

This is just a visual thing for me but the T on the revolver I think should be point to the front of the gun and not down. Possibly add a emissive to the T's to make em emit a slight glow to them with what being a sci fi gun and all.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate the crit, Notes. I adjusted the spec and glass maps a bit to add a little more definition to the brushed aluminum and painted augments, as well as a darker background to help the details pop.

PN9aL.jpg

Here are my flats so you can better critique them
    BtOu5.jpg

and my primary reference was a S&W revolver
    EqDUD.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and i didn't get around to playing with the Ts. But I love your glow suggestion. I'll definitely play around with direction and emissive tomorrow. Thanks for that.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: changed the direction of the Ts and added worn stickers. I tried an emissive on the Ts but the metal frame of the gun is so reflective I had a lot of trouble making the orange glow and not have the frame washing out all the detail.

bzDjt.jpg
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great man, loving the texturing on the lighter metal especially. What was your process? I don't know my guns very well, but I feel the grip is missing detail of some sort. Should it have some sort of rough or pourous texture?

www.atlantictactical.com/mmCATALOG/Images/rubber-pistol-grip.jpg

Only other thing I would say is that the trigger guard seems a little small for my liking, though that's very picky critique. Curse my fat fingers.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Dann! You were right about the grip lacking visual interest. I had an overlay on my diffuse set to too low an opacity and completely overlooked that detail. I also added a normal to the grip per the reference you brought up and I think it did add a bit of visual interest.

P2cv1.jpg

As for my workflow, the majority of my time was spent on the texture. I had never used gloss maps before and textured this asset using the video notes added above: http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445 A wonderful video on separating materials and an introduction to gloss maps. Unfortunately, I spent a good deal of time banging my head against the keyboard with the rubber; not a good material to start off gloss maps with.

The other thing I spent a lot of time on was creating scratches using a method I learned from this tut: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/next-gen-weapon-creation-day-4-diffuse-and-specular-textures/?search_index=2

Even if you don't have a model to texture, these are fantastic things to watch. Very dense in their info.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    yeahhh there ya go on the grip :) Forgot to ask what you used for these renders; if its udk I can make an emissive glow using the textures you'd posted in like 5 minutes for you.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey notes, thanks a lot. I used marmoset for the render. And about the emissive, I could be wrong, but I think the best way to get the most out of the emissive is add a bit of glow. I can't get a glow from marmoset's emissive boost and when I enable bloom, the steel frame starts glowing far more than the emissive. I added some glow in photoshop though. How's this?

ZjK5w.jpg
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    ahhh, never used marmoset personally..I didn;t try hard enough to get it working properly in Max I guess...thats the right amount of glow right there :)
    I dunno how much time you got on this one but you could model an empty shell casing next to the gun, have a bit of smoke coming out of the barrel, and one "T" not glowing indicating that a bullet has been fired...eh eh ^^
    5331 tri...is there a floating vert somewhere??? :P
    All and all nice work
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    It might be only me but I think the metal might suffer from the well-known concrete metal syndrome.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Really, I thought it looks very brushed steel metal-ly :)
  • guhhh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guhhh polycounter lvl 9
  • Reale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with low, the metal looks like some sort of concrete and the handle material needs more definition, I dont know what material its supposed to be but I am assuming either rubber or plastic... Watch the tutorial linked earlier as Racer445 goes over how to define a material such as that.

also observing your primary gun (the revolver) I had a little look for a revolver with a similar brushed metal finish and couldnt find one.... you could note it down to being futuristic but that would be a lazy excuse. The model and concept are strong but the texture needs some more work.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale, I feel like I have to defend my position on some of my design decisions now :p The S&W revolver I posted earlier is a weapon I own (I love being able to handle my own reference) and it does have that machined-metal pattern, only it does not photograph well and is not nearly as defined as in my render. I chose to keep it more pronounced because I feel it compliments the overall wear on the weapon and because I can't add reflection maps in marmoset, I need more depth. However, here are some shots of various degrees of machining on the hard chrome.

QFGHA.jpg

And on the topic of the concrete-y metal, I swapped a texture that has a more consistent pattern. Of course, all of this is highly editable so any thoughts are appreciated and I can still push certain elements further. Thanks!

07dcX.jpg
  • Reale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    no need to defend, it simply has to read well to the eye... before reading ANY of the titles on the images you just posted, I looked at the second one and thought F*CK ME that looks 100x better!

then I read over it all and it makes sense, your justification of how something reflects the light is true as proven by your image, the machining shows at certain light and isn't painted on... its machined INTO the metal, so light reflects that(the specular), not that it discolours the metal itself (the diffuse)

personally, I feel the "machining muted in the diffuse" is the strongest image of all of them (including the new metal image) but thats just my opinion, reach out and give some of the weapon guys a private message asking for crit, see if racer445 or Millenia can chip in :)
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    The Muted in Diffuse and Muted in All look about a bajillion times better.

Your old texturing has a big believability hit because it doesn't look like you've textured it as if it's a gun-- it seems to be textured as if it's a garbage bin. The texturing looks like something that's been thrown around and kicked and stepped on and smashed against other hard things. That's fine for a bin but that's not how we treat guns, especially handguns. It should be fairly new metal with oil from hands and scuffing, but not look as if it's been used to jimmy open a bulkhead.

The new texturing looks a lot more like that, though I would even reduce the visibility of the *Edit: scratching on* the black metal sections.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    ^agreed, tone it down a bit. the second screengrab, machining muted in diffuse, in my opinion, is really great.
  • Michael1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello and welcomewww.cleaningcassette.com
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I'm honestly quite amazed at the response I've recieved. Per many requests, I'm muted the machining in the diffuse and boosted it in the gloss. I also swapped the concrete-y metal for a new metal. Obviously much work needs to be done to the scratches but right now I'm juggling this and building a website so I apologize for my slow progress.

cqIQG.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the texture. This asset has completely changed direction so I made need all the criticism I can get at this point.
    oFaLw.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *edit, double post
  • zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking sharp dude, keep at it!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think it's time I call this one finished. Still not completely satisfied but other projects have nearly come to a halt now. Still accepting last minute criticism though.

rZI8h.jpg
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    Looking at the end result and I'm happy about the concrete-metal comment I made, you really pushed your shader. Nice model and texture Josh!
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    I think the metal has too much of the scratches in the albedo. The scratches should be mostly in the gloss/roughness/normal, not albedo. Cool looking revolver though!
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master