Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Patriot - Character Model

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
Hi!

I've been working on a personal project inbetween other projects for a little while now. I'm modeling a game-ready ''coureur des bois''. Those were french-canadian men during colonization that walked the land to buy and sell pelts and other merchandises from the natives. It's heavily inspired by Henri Julien's drawing, Le Patriote
:

le-patriote-henri_julien_1904.jpg

I'm pretty much done with the baking of everything, and I just started texturing. I am still open to suggestions and criticism for tweaks to make it better and update my portfolio later on. So... here are some WIP pictures:

7600661118_bc468dae97_b.jpg

7559109796_dd37f5fb0f_b.jpg

7600695234_a411303824_b.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7606355978_a018b013f4_b.jpg

I corrected most of the body bake today. I see there is a problem of slightly odd proportions between the feet and the hands (maybe with the arms too), I'll try to adjust it somehow.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Low poly's looking good so far. Some spots on the pants and arms where the low poly is a bit weird but nothing too serious. Agree with your comment about proportions. Good work!
  • Elmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elmo polycounter lvl 8
    Tres cool ton bonhomme.Peu etre juste un peu trop de poylgone sur les soulier.continue comme ca:)
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the feedback! Yes, I do agree on the odd polycount here and there, I'll attempt to fix it without messing up the textures too much, haha.

Who might you be, Elmo? I assume you know me since you randomly spoke french to me. ;P

Here's an update. I pretty much got all the major texturing done, now it's tweaking time until it looks good. I think it's a good start, but some parts tick me off for some reason, and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what. Any ideas?

7612684648_47e2c6d773_b.jpg

Please note that this is barely a screemgrab from 3DS Max 2012 viewport with basic hardware shading. I notice some odd Normal Map glitches (most notably on the strap and on the pouch) that don't appear in the actual map, so that might just be a shader problem here or something.

Maybe I'll try Marmoset toolbag and see how my normals look there.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Really cool texture you got there,
    I feel tho there is something wrong with the shoulder, it looks like its not part of the body, just sitting next to the chest.
    Not sure if it makes sens...?
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that you mention it, it does seem oddly disconnected.

I'm gonna see what I can do tomorrow, thanks!
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looking for a bit of feedback on the textures :)
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    looks pretty good for the most part, a few things I notice:

The hands are very small and very thin. If you look at the render in the top left of your latest shot, it looks expecially thin. Hands are a lot bigger than you tend to think.

The collar looks like it's drawn onto the jacket, this might be how you made it in the first place. It is however alwaly worth modelling a collar properly and giving it proper consideration, as if you look at the collar of a thick jacket, youll see it has a lot more substance than yours does, and it goes up the neck further at the back.

The biggest issue with you model is how disjointed certain elements feel, and i suspect this is due to working on them all seperately, ie today i'm going to make the hands and then not considering how it all looks as a whole. The best way to avoid this is to start off with a full basemesh, sculpt rough proportions and pose, then add all the pieces over that like you're dressing a manaquin, that way it'll all look like a fully assembled piece

Keep at it!
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I do think the collar is a big problem.

It looks okay (not great) on the hi poly, but it really looks flat on the bake. Maybe I should try adding some polys to make it pop and tweak the texture at the same time.
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I downloaded the trial for Marmoset Toolbag and I gotta say, I'm very impressed! Gotta have to buy it as soon as possible! I messed around with it for the first time, so these screenshots are faaaaar from the final result. Overload of post-process, no backface culling (even if it's on, oddly), not enough hair, etc).

Still, makes me happy that my normals are great in Marmoset, unlike what I see in 3DS Max.

I'm going to have a friend skin it and rig it soon (I could do it myself but... urgh... I hate it so much, heh :P ) and I plan to put it in a UDK scene to make some mock-up game screenshots. I'm probably gonna post the progress of the scene here.

Amyways, pictures:

7647600928_b07e42560d_h.jpg

7647597830_5283b69870_h.jpg

7647601674_144cf8d949_h.jpg

7647597016_c3378309a4_h.jpg