Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Minitut] Bent Normals

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Recently there has been a lot of people on google+ hanging out and screen sharing. Whenever somebody is baking out/using a bent normal map a lot of questions get asked about what they are, what they do and how to use them. I thought i'd put together a small bit of info on them and what i normally use them for. If you have anything else you'd like to add/dispute please stick it in a comment.

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?

Like many different map types, a bent normal is achieved through the "baking" process, if you are unfamiliar with baking in general, check the wiki page
A bent normal map is lighting infomation transfered from a highpoly model onto a lowpoly, it made up of RGB channels which each contain their own lighting direction. Typically, red is side lit, green is top lit and Blue is frontal lit.

At first glance, the map doesn't seem all that useful:
TG8Aqjpg

Go into the channels though, and its pretty clear that it's light info.
Green channel (top lighting)
4w1JNjpg

SO WHAT CAN I USE THIS FOR?

Lighting information can be used in your textures differently depending on if you are doing a diffuse only character or intend on using normal maps to capture realtime lighting detail.

In both cases, i combine the bent normal green(top lighting) and blue (frontal lighting) into my diffuse texture just as you would with an ambient and cavity map. I like to set the top lighting layer to soft light and set the frontal lighting layer to multiply.

With/without example
ix9vfgif

It's rather subtle as i want most of the lighting infomation to be captured by the normal map instead of being baked directly into the diffuse, but it's just enough to help the texture pop a little more. It's also a quick and easy way of achieving the "triangle of light" over the face which Hazardous mentioned in his character thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1615965&postcount=141

If you were working on a diffuse only piece, bent normals are really handy for giving you a strong sense of lighting without even picking up your tablet. With a bit of saturation and more opacity than the previous example you can have something like this;
Pvwrmjpg

GdDeujpg

More examples on using baked light can be found in the dota documentation:
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/d...xtureGuide.pdf

HOW DO I ACHIEVE THIS?

Unfortunately, i only know how to create a bent normal map using Xnormal. If anybody knows of ways of making them in other app's please speak up!

EDIT, maya baking: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1629002&postcount=3
I guess just baking out an obj space normal from your baking app works if you don't have xnormal.

In Xnormal, set up your bake as you normally would and simply tick on the Bent Normals box under baking options.
y5B10jpg

And thats about all there is to it really.

You don't just have to use these on faces, or even characters! lighting info can be really useful for all kinds of environment props and even big scenery pieces.

I hope this was useful to a few people, if there are any other topics like this which you feel there isn't enough infomation about already please PM me and i'l see if i can add some more info on other things in this thread.

Replies