Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Low Spec base character

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
this character as the title suggest is still a work in progress, its going to be in a game I'm making via unity, my first time with unity but I've got advanced movement up and running ready to try this model out when ready.
EDIT
Here is the model so far with the armour
YyQIN.gifTPKXP.png

Sorry for the slight jagginess, blender has no point sampling options for textures so I've had to settle with this. I've seen it in Unity and it looks much cleaner, as you can see the texture itself does not have any outstanding jaggies.
Here is the design for the armour I'm currently working on "Tempest"
IEeaz.png

Here is the base characters reference, a very basic character with cutesy proportions.
http://i.imgur.com/VxGTY.png

Any and all comments or constructive criticisms are greatly appreciated,
Thanks for reading,
Bombshell

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your arms need more sides and/or your legs need less.

Shoulders are too angular.

Check the profile of the butt and the clavicle areas.

Having an extra slice on the feet wouldn't hurt either - give him a toe area so he can roll and bend properly.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sQOU5.gif
    any better?

EDIT: though not shown on this turntable I merged the lower loops of the head at the back because they just look unnecessary (as shown in the turntable)
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've rigged the model and it animates fairly well, I've not tried any organised actions such as a run cycle just yet, but I have tested by random motions, here is wire.
    CRd0h.gif
    and here is the model as is now, the UV unwrap may need some tiny tweaking, I couldn't find a way to do point sampling in blender so this is the best I could do.
    hNd0T.gif
    the texture is temporary, a mere place holder, I will be making the character less human looking, I will aim to have the texture more like some kind of clay golem.

I will say this is my first time rigging with an IK, I've usually got stuck with optimizing a model or getting rid of warping.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Looks cool dude. Only thing that stands out to me is the butt looks a little harsh. Stands out the most when he turns to the side. Good stuff :thumbup:
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the new texture, quite different from the reference but that was more for proportions, the change from human to this clay golem is a relapse in story of purpose.
    wip_golem_by_pushbombshell-d57egsz.gif
    Here is the texture itself.
    clay_golem_texture_by_pushbombshell-d57fztk.png
    dont mind the blank space, it will be filled with effects for in game actions, if I should make other skins, I'd rather keep all of it together so for example the characters can have a different "POW!" bubble when hitting.

The mismatch in texture scale for the legs is for other bipedal characters, with a scaling to the legs they can seem larger and more intimidating.

EDIT: I apologize for the strange jagginess, I could not find a wait for point sampling on blender, it actually looks much cleaner in unity.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may change the texture style, I'm not liking the artifacts from this style and sampling problems and setting up the UVs for it can take far too long for my liking.
    IEeaz.png anyway here is an armour design I intend to build on top of this model.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the model so far with the armour and a change to the textures pallet
    ke4nI.gifTPKXP.png
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slight update, I've not made massive progress however I have cut the legs, arms, body and head apart from each other so the base model doesn't phase through the armour. Instead when armour is equipped the respective part will be replaced with the armour.
    YyQIN.gif
    I've tested it and all still animates okay, after this armour is done I will be making a running, jumping, attacking and interacting animation, the project its for is reaching playable stages, hence my want for the animations.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could anyone help me with animating idle, run and jump cycles ready for a game engine? in this case I'm using unity and blender.
    I know how to move the skeleton and place key frames, but in terms of actually animating a cycling animation I know jack crap. Not sure how I should start, how I should export (1 per file? all in a row? each set in a row in its own file? (set being for when holding weapons))

Any help would be great.
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    You only need one .fbx export, and you also need to note down the frames when your animation cycles begin and stop, then, in unity, you will be able to convert these frame ranges into animations.

If you need help finding correct poses, I suggest that you make a google image search using "muybridge" as a keyword. The man did tons of chronophotography, they'll come in handy.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got around to trying out animation, rendered in blender 100ms per frame, walk timing is a little off but it at least looks like some kind of walking.
    pchkZ.gifEDIT: slightly fixed the walk animation
    2kDGo.gif