Home Technical Talk

Baking Complex geometry inside Maya?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
Hello everybody :D
After watching some 3d motive tutorials(that briefcase one and the one about trips and tricks for normals maps)it made me wonder if Maya was capable of similar. Of course you can bake normal maps inside Maya and stuff like that, but while i was working on a little project myself I was kinda stuck. I was getting terrible results because all the envelops were overlapping etc. (Xnormal wasn't getting me any better results either.) So what i was wonder is if there is a functionality, like this material Ids in 3ds max to prevent this kinda problem in Maya. Also is there a similar function like that Ray miss check?
Since I am more of a Maya user this would help me alot :D
So i guess my real question at the end of the day is: How would you go about baking complex models such as guns, vehicles etc (stuff with lots of technical detail, lots of parts, very high poly) inside Maya, so you get a nice clean bake?

Thank you very much in advance :D

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Put keyframes on on all the corresponding bits, and explode the model ie: move them away from eachother, and set another keyframe.

I don't really know about anything like ray misses, but at this point I can usually tell if something is up with the normal map.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Have you considered third party software that specializes in map creation? I know one of naughty dog's technical artist uses Mudbox for it, and there are also apps like xnormal.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    Put keyframes on on all the corresponding bits, and explode the model ie: move them away from eachother, and set another keyframe.

I don't really know about anything like ray misses, but at this point I can usually tell if something is up with the normal map.

Thanks for the reply. So would you put the whole exploded mesh as the source mesh. Wouldn't get that problems since i always thought the High Poly and Low Poly need to be at the same position....
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    well they need to be keyframed correspondingly, obviously ;)

(ie key axle_high and axle_low to the same position)
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    well they need to be keyframed correspondingly, obviously ;)

(ie key axle_high and axle_low to the same position)

wait so you key frame both the high and the low poly..... I am so confused lol :D (Sorry for being a NOOB :D )
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    wait so you key frame both the high and the low poly..... I am so confused lol :D (Sorry for being a NOOB :D )

yes. You move it so it doesnt intersect and cause any projection errors from the other pieces you might have in the scene.

Not maya but the concept is in a gif so you'll probably understand it better

ExpodeAnim.gif

from Codefather