Home Technical Talk

Translucency blending in UDK

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
specsowl polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I posted a while back on a rigging problem and it was easily solved, so I'm hoping this is also an easy problem. I'm currently trying to blend a transparent object with something that is opaque, like painted glass. However, UDK doesn't seem to like that and I was wondering if it's even possible. I have my alpha map set up in the diffuse, but the only way to make it not 100% transparent is to have the blend mode on translucent, however, the entire model is see-through instead of what I have masked. Please help me!

This is what I'm trying to achieve:
Ga.jpg
Something like the hood on this character.

Thanks!

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Separate the window faces into different material ID and apply a translucent glass looking material to that ID.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I've read but it that the only way to do it? If so...then so be it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Are you using different materials or to put it in better terms have you assigned multiple materials in max/maya/blender etc and assigning the translucent shader to the bits that are translucent?

EDIT: Too slow.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, the hood has the texture almost painted on from the looks of it (I have one sitting next to me.) I wanted a sort of brush stroke feel to how it looked and I feel like I wouldn't to be able to achieve that as effectively with modeling as I would with texturing.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Take a look at the options under Trans, you will see something called Double/Two Sided for Hair Rendering.

However, please note that using Trans for an entire model is expensive, can cause sorting issues and you lose your shadows, so everything defaults to the Lambert term, meaning if you want if you want your head to cast shadows on your characters wings, there will be no shadows, unless you separate the objects.

So yeah, I suggest what them peeps said previously, separate ID's.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like there's no way around it then, I set different IDs so hopefully that works. Thanks everyone for the answers!