Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunk Blade

Low
So I'm taking a break from my environment project and I wanted to work on a weapon. I just wanted a little piece to add to my portfolio.

Nm0yz.jpg

I mixed those designs and shapes to make something more or less on my own. I didn't want an overkill design, something quite clean and simple. I added a little touche of my own, on the blade there is some kind of End-user license agreement of some sort printed. I was thinking of a black/dark grey metal or maybe plastic blade and somewhat same color but most definitly plastic for the blade (with the nice hex pattern from the refsheet [by the way I found that weapon concept on here but couldn't find the name of the artist.])

Z6KFt.jpg

So I modelled the simple high-res. I started the low-res...and this is where I realised I sucked badly at doing more complex than a box low-res (even a box...not sure) and at baking normals. Don't laugh at me but I went to a 3D school and I think I never learned how to properly build low poly models and baking nice normals... I heard I had to set Smoothing groups and different smoothing groups should not be welded in the UVs and things like this. I've read lot of contradictions over the web. I was wondering if you girls and guys had some nice workflow techniques or tips.

opE8D.jpg

This is where I'm currently at on my low-res model 4182 tris count that seems a bit high for me for such a simple design but all my lower models failed (read I) to render correct normals...Since I'm no normal expert I didn't know if it was the model or the UVs or the cage that failed.

Critics and Comments welcome as always.

Replies

• DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    The text seems pretty obnoxious and for something that would seem mass produced or something stuff like that can probably be on a sticker or something, but that is a design thing.
    For modeling it is good to have a nice and simple base mesh to establish proportions and such to avoid the regret of putting 5 hours into a model only to find that you made something too big or too small.
    zTasP.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I heard I had to set Smoothing groups and different smoothing groups should not be welded in the UVs and things like this. I've read lot of contradictions over the web. I was wondering if you girls and guys had some nice workflow techniques or tips.

Usually you would want to set each UV shell/island to its own smoothing group, there are various scripts floating around that'll accomplish this quickly. Also, people usually separate faces with ~90 degree angles (or more) into different shells. And don't forget to set your viewport to Quality Normals (Xoliul's shader comes with a small script to do this) and export from Direct3D if you're using Max.

And I do agree with the comment on the text :)
  • Low
    Well I'm back on 3D'ing. I don't think my personnal issues and story interest anybody in here so let's go back to 3D.

I had a carving for 3D last night and I rework the high poly of the blade.

The handle had more small details to add to the shape dynamic but it didn't look like it would be any comfortable to hold and hit things or people. So I worked the handle and removed some parts.

I also changed the box thingy to a more complexe (i guess) guard thingy.

XvMnG.jpg

I was mostly sketching but I'm more satisfied with the high poly now then I was. I think it looks a bit more sci-fi than I hope but the texture is not set. Still have the same material in mind.

I still have lots of crusts to eat and I'm unertain if all the shapes will be translated correctly into the normal map.
  • Low
    1xwDo.jpg

Started working on the texture.
  • Low
    MHKAs.jpg
    Rendered in Marmoset

Little update on the material. I'm kinda curious about gloss map and how to set them up. Any of you have good pointes or tutorials?

For the moment the text and logo is on the same texture sheet as everything but I'll probably have a seperate map with an alpha because the text is flipped on the mirrored part of the blade :(

[EDIT] I was working with Xiolul shader on 3dsmax while texturing but Marmoset is lighter on the system and faster to display changes. Is there any no-go to work with Marmoset to display texture while working?
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    That hex pattern doesn't read as 'high tech' to me, maybe its too large? Or maybe try a carbon fibre texture?
    I find at first I didn't like the shape of the blade and the text but I found I couldn't stop myself scrolling back up to look at it and the more I looked at it the more it grew on me. Overall I like this.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Low
    I must admit I don't get all the hate the text is getting. It's the only element that make the weapon cyberpunk instead of "generic" sci-fi.
    It's also give some background to the weapon, in a very obvious way I admit.
    The "clin d'oeil" is that the whole weapon is a warning. The text itself says "don't mess with this megacorporation" because they can sue you for only having this weapon in your hand.

This is where the logo comes from too. W (for Wellington) and First are sitting over the world.

I've tried to raise the hex nubs in the normal maps as TeriyakiStyle said it really gives a grippier feel and way more lightning definition. Now I need to find a way of killing the seem.
  • SA_22
    i agree with you about the text low but you need to tone it down alot and make it fit like the 'concept' picture you posted. in that picture its a small detail, in you texture its just way to in your face. and i would only have it on one side also.

for the pattern on the handle i would tryout some different things and see what works, such as carbon fibre as mentioned above
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Low
    HaHa it sure is. The text format is not finale that's for sure! I had other fish to fry before I get into the typography.

[EDIT:] Yeah nice suggestion I will look into it.
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    take the text off...

having a warning about the primary function of a tool actually written on the tool doesn't make any sense at all... my lamp has a warning on it that says if I turn it on it will illuminate the surrounding area... it doesnt make it sci fi by any means necessary... the only thing it comes close to is having take-a-way coffee cups that state "Caution may contain hot liquid" or a chocolate bar that says "MAY CONTAIN NUTS"

the design choice of the text doesnt work on a sci-fi weapon or any other sort, it wouldnt work on a modern day knife or a fantasy sword...

TeriyakiStyle suggestion of keeping it short is a start but I wouldnt put any legalities on any of it... you could do something that is more real worldly and maybe add a serial code or have some sort of sci-fi chip set detection thing... or an indentation of the corporation and it being their property.

if a person is able to get their hands on such an object/weapon they have likely come across it by doing something "illegal" in the first place, a warning on the side isnt going to deter anyone - if I managed to go outside today and take the side arm off of the local police man in my area, i am sure there isnt a sticker on it warning me that it could land me in jail.

I understand you want to defend your design decision but there is a reason why you dont see something like this on every "generic" sci-fi prop and thats because it doesnt work... even if you look to sci-fi that isnt considered "generic" you wouldnt find it there either. (unless you can in which I would happily eat my own hat - so to speak)

- I dont mean to be harsh in anyway but you asked for feedback and it seems pretty unanimous as to whats working and what isn't.

with that out of the way, I personally really like the matte finish of the
    smith & wesson knife and I also like the hex pattern on the concept piece, if you could combine the two I think that would look quite strong for the texture.
  • SA_22
    WARNING!

Holding
    this object
    is ONLY
    permitted
    to Wellington Home-
    land Secu-
    rity (a
    division of Welling-
    ton-First Corpora-
    tion) offi-
    cers of rank C or
    ................"

yea should of probably read what it said lol... does read kinda pointless (get it?:poly142:) and blah
  • mrmagee1000
    I agree that there is a little too much text. Having a few lines down by the logo on the blade would probably look alright, but maybe not covering the whole surface.

I don't think the text should be considered as the "only" thing that would make the blade cyberpunk. There has to be some other kind of small details that you could add to try and differentiate it from generic scifi other than just adding text to it.

All and all though, I think it looks pretty good. The modeling is solid. Good work!
  • Low
    @Reale Hell yes I'll defend my idea until I die! On serious note, the design without being totally a joke is more like a background setting. There are lot of elements you need to connect.
    the only thing it comes close to is having take-a-way coffee cups that state "Caution may contain hot liquid"

Yeah and don't you think it is stupid? We all read stupid notices on object because the companies who manufacture those objects want to protect themselves.
    It is the law of the stupidest.

We can now imagine a Security Officer killing a rebel hacker using too much brute force (vray?). For whatever reasons things go berserk but a judge (paid by the corpo) just tell 'em to put a notice that the weapon may kill.

Public opinion does not care anymore but hackers keep a grunge. They start stealing those weapon and modify them. Now maybe Wellington Homeland Security joins force with First (we have no description of what they are doing, let's say they are a very influencal legal office). They add some kind of user agreement to their weapons.

Or maybe I just think too deeply. I could go like that for hours... :P

@mrmagee1000: Well it is kinda hard to put cyberpunk into a basic weapon since cyberpunk is mostly themes and not visual esthetic.

I probably won't kill all the text but I'll make it shorter for sure. Since nobody gets what I aimed for it's probably because I aimed badly. I won't go "2 good 4 u" so please keep the feedbacks coming.
  • Low
    j2oZO.jpg

I didn't change much cept the bumped hex pattern. But a closer look help to see the different material composition.

EDIT: I think the smooth comfortable grip part of the handle might have inverted normals. And btw this is NOT finale work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Low
    Quote:
    And btw this is finale work.
    Haha. Well, I for one am stoked I wasted time trying to help.

Omg no it's not! Damn me and being unable to re-read myself. I feel stupid
  • jackalope
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    Im going to weigh in and say im a fan of the text, i think you could make it a little more subtle, and better formated. Maybe turn it 90 degrees so it runs down the blade?

idk why some other people are taking it so seriously, it's obviously not supposed to be taken super seriously.
    anyway, keep up the good work
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I would boil it down and squeeze the text in next to the logo and not let it extend past the guard. It will serve the same purpose while making it look MUCH sleeker.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you're really adamant about the warning label, I'd make it a smaller engraving rotated 90 degrees from where it is now and positioned beside the logo at the hilt and probably with a simple line border around it. That would make more sense from a realism point of view and also look more aesthetically pleasing.
  • latorril
    Offline / Send Message
    latorril polycounter lvl 6
    The text is just too garishly bright. If you grey down the specularity/diffuse and make it look more like an engraving than a paint job, it could work.

Otherwise, it's great work!
  • Krypteia
    Editing note:

"This low lethality weapon causes serious damages and even death"

... doesn't really make sense. It should be a "high lethality" weapon if it causes "serious damages and even death".

Or, really, "This highly lethal weapon causes serious damage and even death".
  • TigerGD
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    My suggestion: put a laser in the hilt and project your text onto the blade. Put two lights on the grip to indicate whether its being held by an authorized or unauthorized user. In the case that an unauthorized user is holding it, you get the "red" light and text, but when an authorized user is holding it, "green" light and no text.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    You're work is coming out very nice. I'm really digging the texturing and the black brushed aluminum is a great aesthetic.