Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Peasant

Although it looks finished to me, it still looks a bit off. Something is not right, yet I can't speciffically say what exactly. Could you guys help me pimp this model out? wip__peasant_by_darthbartus-d56beoo.png

Replies

• dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Socks could be better. What are the bumps on the arm supposed to be?
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was my pathetic attempt at sculpting creases! : D

Ok, thanks, so there's two things already ^^
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Not bad mate, here's some crits for you:

The creases you've sculpted in the material are not defining the material well, I would advise trying to get some better reference of the material you're trying to create. Also, the silhouette does not match with the material either. I get the impression the material you're trying to create is a thick, hessian, burlap type material, but the silhouette of the robes make it look skin tight, and the thin, small creases make it look very thin. A thicker material will have larger crases.

Here's a rough paintover of what I mean...

mWNKP.gif

Your texture also lacks lighting information, you need to paint in some lighting, with the tiops of the shoulders a bit brighter than the under arms etc, try and look at some texture flats of other characters to get a better idea.

It's hard to see though it looks like the head has some anatomy problems, it doesn't look quite convincing enough at the moment, and the skin texture looks a bit flat.

The lower leg texture doesn't have much texture to it at all beyond colour and the bandages or whatever they are. Also, why would these be black? If it's some kind of material wrap, I would imagine it would be a natural colour with some dirt and mud on it.

EDIT thought of something else: Your lighting! I don't know if this was just for getting feedback so you didn't try and present it well, but it doesn't look like you've got any lights on your character. Add some and try and make the render look a bit more dynamic
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, you're awesome!

Anyway, I've resculpted his tunic and changed the lightning a bit.

wip__peasant_by_darthbartus-d56beoo.png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabeLamas polycounter lvl 8
    Now this is looking better. I would also like to add that maybe you can put more dirt detail in the hem of the tunic and edges of the wrist area of the tunic. Just to make it look more "broken-up" and dirty. The lighting choice also looks better than before. More bump detail, I presume?
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dirt, dirt, dirt. Delicious dirt! wip__peasant_by_darthbartus-d56beoo.png
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to be so impatient, but... shameless self-bump is shameless.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a little bit as he has his eyes too tight together?
    You also have some stretching going on on his socks (btw would a poor peasant have such nice socks?)

And I'm not sure whether this alpha fade off on the end of arms and bottom of tunic, is really neccessary in such a small size, maybe add some holes to the tunic?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The hood is either not resting on his head, or the upper part of his head is WAY too tall. I think just fixing that would get rid of a lot of my concerns.