Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

udk transition materials

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
I've been playing around with material transition effects for a bit. Seeing what certain textures do and what values change results. Here's a short clip of some results.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-oNlP5770k&feature=plcp"]UDK - Texture Transition Testing - YouTube[/ame]

I've seen this effect used in a number of places and realized that it's a great way to remove objects from game play as well. By plugging this into the opacity channel or even some type of tessellation effect, some great results can be achieved. If anyone's got extra info on this I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome, id love to learn how to set something like this up!
    Care to share your process?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Wow looks cool :) please share your workflow and thinking behind it!
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll put up a blog post soon and link it here. If more people are interested I'll do a tutorial.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blog post up!

I go through most of what I did to create this effect and try to explain how the IF node is used with this.

http://danpaz3d.tumblr.com/post/26742825968/thoughts-on-texture-transition-fx
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, this is wonderful!
    Cheers for posting the blog too :)

My favourite transition in the video has to be the first one, as I don't think I have ever seen anything like it.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I tried my best to explain what I could.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    this is awesome... you should show everyone. I'm sure LOTS of people would be interested. Guaranteed some studios would take notice of you ;)
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, I'm not too sure about that but thanks for the enthusiasm.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id love a step by step tutorial on this! Ive been learning UDK recently and to be honest im not sure i understand a lot of what was in your blog (cuz im a noob) so im gonna ask some questions if you'll bare with me!

From the second picture and what i can understand. The scalar paramater which is A handles the transition. The texture sample in B is the effect/texture that displays as it transitions, so in your video it would be the blue/orange epic looking glowy effect, but the texture you have displayed there is simply black/white/greyscale, so how did you getting the glowy blue effect?

I understand that A<B is the starting texture for the object and A=B and A>B is the ending texture once the transition is complete. Im curious as to why the same texture is in both of those slots because i just assumed there would be one slot for start texture and one for end, whats the middle one do?

The more complex example i'll need to look at when its not 1am >_>. This is super interesting and thank you so much for sharing! Thanks for listening to my nooby questions!
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    The glow effect is the 2nd example (the more 'complex' one). The first one is just a simple transition between 2 textures.

As for the A<B, A=B, A>B it's a coding/math thing. Just think if the IF node was just A<B and A>B...what would happen if A=B? I've done some testing and found that it doesn’t have any significant visual impact. So, you can put the A<B texture to the A=B input, or anything for that matter, but it's better to have a texture/value that is already being used. Note that there has to be an A=B value.

Not sure about doing a full-on tutorial yet...I was hoping the blog post would answer most questions.

Hope this helped!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The only question I have is how did you make it so that (in the first transition), the fade effect came from the normals?

I noticed that the glow, in itself, very specifically grows and pops up from the normals, before having the 'mask' kick in and transition the remaining of the way.

Did you Mul all the Normal Channels to create a mask from it? Or did you De-saturate?
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ace-Angel It's actually very simple. It's the same set-up as this shot in my blog post. Except the B value texture (greyscale) on the far right is different and the constant just below this text is 0.3 The reason it looks that way is the combination of the texture and the UV's of the static meshes.

tumblr_m6tr10y1Vk1rwocuuo4_1280.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried creating the very simple version (the first picture in your blog).

It gave me an error saying that IF input B must be type float.

No idea what that means, what am i missing?
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Darkleopard ...did you do it exactly the same?... Check again :) . I mentioned this just above the first example image on blog post.

It means that the B input texture you've connected is using the RGB output (the little black connector) which is a vector which is 3 float values of the texture sample. For the B input you need one float value so.... either the red channel (as I have done) or green or blue. But only one of them.

Hope this helped!
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    I think I understand the shader setup but one thing bothers me: How exactly is it animated then? Can you animate the transition parameter somehow?
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to animate it with matinee, i remember reading something on the UDK site under the IF node about it. Have a look there.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup darkleopard is right

from blog post
    Then you could make a Material Instance Constant of the original material and set it to an actor in your scene. Note that this transition effect does not work on BSP meshes. From here you can plug the Material Instance Constant into a Material Instance Actor and use a Matinee Sequence to change the scalar parameter in real-time. This is what I’ve done in my video.

http://dp3dblog.tumblr.com/post/26742825968/thoughts-on-texture-transition-fx
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    Great job following directions.

http://eat3d.com/vfx
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually gonna get that until I found this article in UDKC by Chris Cook – “Piranhi”. http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tutorials:Dissolve_Material_Effect

The main reason I posted here was to see if anyone else has done something more interesting...
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    I see. What gave it away for me is that you did not really explain anything aside from your basic understanding of the if statement in your blog post. ;)

Anyways, you should try experimenting with some of the sine and cosine nodes in the material editor. these bounce between the values of 0-1 and can yield interesting results when applied to the A or B values of the 'if' statement. This would automate the control of the transitions so you can edit your material in the editor rather than having to use the param callout every time to check out your effect.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Explore with the sine and cosine nodes. Sounds good, I'll give it a go. Thanks!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North wrote: »
    Great job following directions.

http://eat3d.com/vfx

Who cares if that was where he got it from anyway? Everything we learn we learn from other people. I didn't know this was possible until i saw this thread (new to UDK) and i was quite excited to learn about it. I think it was a little rude of you to come in here so accusingly. He did not say 'hey this has never been done before look how awesome i am' He came here and showed us what he did and asked for more info if anyway had it.

We've all seen a barrel a hundred times before but no-one is mean to the new people who make one and want feedback, this is no different.

On another note. I showed a friend this at school today and a couple other material transition vids on youtube, he made a couple of neat effects, although he did use a different material setup. I am going to learn the process and create a tutorial for fun including the matinee part. I appreciate you posting this thread here and opening my eyes to more stuff in UDK :)
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to learn the process and create a tutorial for fun including the matinee part. I appreciate you posting this thread here and opening my eyes to more stuff in UDK :)

Thanks darkleopard! Be sure to share a link to your tutorial here when its done. I'd like to see what other people can do with this.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dan, im in the middle of creating a tutorial and i was just wondering what you did to get the stripped effect on the transition texture (the greyscale one). Thanks!
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop.
    Have a dark primary colour and a light secondary colour. Go Filter->Render->Fibers and play with the values before applying. That's it!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Oops, totally forgot about this thread ;P

Cheers for the reply, it seems like you derived from the mask like usual and not the normal map, cheers!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that's so awesome, ive never used the fibers filter before. Thanks so much!

Ive completed the tutorial. I hope you dont mind me including a link to your blog Dan, i wanted to make sure i credited the person who i found the original material from. Just let me know if you want it removed.

Ive posted it in the tutorials section of my website here (under the intermediate section). Let me know if theres something not explained correctly. I spent most of the day on this (as i was learning it at the same time) Im sure there's a mistake somewhere. Welcome to PM for any questions and i'll try to help. Hope this is useful for some people!

While im here, im curious if anyone knows a way to set an activation based on camera distance from either the material editor or inside a post process chain (or world post process chain settings) I am working on a heat distortion effect and I have not found a way to control the distance it activates from.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went over it and fixed some errors up. It should be good now