Home General Discussion

Screencast an entire level?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
So my buddy is a web-designer, and he told me about this guy that has raised over 60,000 on kickstarter for broadcasting a full website re-design. I couldn't help but think, how awesome would this be if an elite artist in our field were to do something like this, or if an entire team did it and split the profits. Here's the link.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/150422311/screencasting-a-complete-redesign?ref=live

Pretty crazy that this guy stands to make so much money off of something like this. I realize we've already got pretty good resources, and most guys are cool enough to put their workflows out there for free, but still.......something to think about.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    What is the money going towards (may have missed it in the Kickstarter pitch)?

Is the dude just getting $60k to basically do his job, only with a screencap running?
    If so, clever guy for thinking of that. I don't support it though.

As for your question, plenty of guys here screencast their work regularly. Sure, you don't see the 'whole' process, but oftentimes you probably wouldn't want to. There's a lot of boring, repetitive things that happen over the course of a whole project and I guess it's more fun and often more educational to just watch the 'important' parts.

For example, let's say someone was working on a woodland environment, it might be good to see the artist make one tree, and place it in the level, but if he was making 5 or 6 variations of the tree, not so much.

EDIT:

Reading some of the comments... where do these people come from? "You've been so generous to do this" "This information is priceless"....

Erm, really?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's $25 for a work flow over view/gimped tutorial, its not a bad deal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Do it for $5 and make it look professional, and spread it on sites like reddit and forums XD with a $5,000 goal.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    @ZacD That's what I thought, I mean, some of the Gnomon DVD's are pretty pricey, and you would get to see all the trial and error, the creative process, everything, at least if it was done how this guy plans on doing it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's pretty cool actually. I've amusingly just been chatting to a few guys about putting together a game prototype 'game jam' style and screencasting the whole thing.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i would pay if it was johnstone, perna, or autocon, to watch them build stuff.