Home General Discussion

Defining yourself as an 'Artist'

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
Hi there,

I’ve been around for a little while, but I've only started spending more time here recently. There’s a lot of interesting talks going on here, for sure. Got lots to learn and this is definitely the place for it.

Anyway, moving on. I’ve always considered the word ‘Artist’ something very classy, fit for someone with great artistic capabilities and someone who inspires others, both through his/her art and through teaching. This is why I’m having a really hard time calling myself a Level Artist, or a 3D Artist, because I never really thought of myself as someone like that. But I am calling myself that… But it’s because, and just because, that’s the title in the industry.

So I’ve recently been forced to re-think my whole perception of artists and came across thinking about this: What makes someone an artist? Where goes the line between an Artist a… non-artist? Is anyone able to open Maya/Max and make a cube an artist? Or is an artist simply someone who can impress others? I know it’s a wide topic so I think we should stick to the gaming industry.

So I’d like to hear your thought about this.

When did you start to think of yourself as an artist?

Do you ever doubt yourself as an artist? Why or why not?

Sorry if I placed this in the wrong forum. Really looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts.

Cheers,
/Brygelsmack

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I've thought about this too. Mostly after Feng Zhu said "Im not an artist, I don't create art and I never have in the past, im a designer and I simply use art as a communication tool between myself and the clients."

No clue.

Id say 3d art is now more artistic-like ever since digital sculpting came around, but before that pushing and pulling polys could be considered more as problem solving technical art.

Still, have fun being unappreciated by regular people. They can't wrap their head around what exactly you do to create your stuff.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    when I put it in my resume so it's easier for employers to sort me out.

Though I was thinking of changing my name to a symbol and calling myself "the artist"
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    cholden wrote: »
    Though I was thinking of changing my name to a symbol and calling myself "the artist"

Interesting. This idea was in my head exactly at this morning.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I make stuff, and that infects all areas of my life.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Mmmh yeah I've never considered myself as an artist. To me an artist stands in pure creation, and masters is "art" enough to not be stopped by technical issues, play with the rules and bypass them in a transcendental way. Feng Zhu art (well, designs) is terrific, but can i say that it touches my soul, doest it make me wonder about my place in the world, society, does it question me about life, etc... ? well, no. So the term artist in english is a misuse of language to me.

Luckily enough, in french, our work is called 3d graphist or infographist and not cg artist so, i don't have to be philosophical on a daily basis :D
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I don't consider myself an artist yet, but if I ever get to the point where I'm happy with my sculpting and start getting into more hand-painted textures, then yes, I think I would probably start thinking of myself as an artist.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Does it really matter ? Just work on your stuff. Who cares what people call it.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I prefer Super Fantastico 3d Amigo

really it's on my linkin

http://www.linkedin.com/in/drew3d
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    I consider myself an artist. Thats why Im replicating a painting as an environment, because I want to train myself to be more artistic.
    I've thought about this too. Mostly after Feng Zhu said "Im not an artist, I don't create art and I never have in the past, im a designer and I simply use art as a communication tool between myself and the clients."

I really disagree with this attitude and think his work would be better if he considered himself an artist and as a creator of art. Not saying his work isn't good, just saying anyone can be better than they currently are.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    garbage is art to some and art is garbage to some

a lot of people would claim the title with a lot less competence so why wouldn't you

Also Artiste Extraordinaire is the proper title to claim :poly142:
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I love making art.
    I hate not being able to make art.
    I don't care much about defining the semantics of 'making art'
    When doing other stuff, after a while it starts to become making art.
    I always am unsatisfied with what I make to some degree.
    I always want to improve.

I just figured after a while - Oooooooh, that's what this all means.

Still in my day job I sometimes have tasks which could be called technician type of work, but hey, sometimes I have to put up a shelf or something at home too. No big deal. :)
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Michelangelo basically only worked on commissioned jobs. Mostly he made stuff for the church - all of his most famous works are church commissions. Was he an artist?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    It's like the difference between Fine Arts and Illustration. Fine arts is the more "artsy" art, where you imagine what thunder tastes like, then paint it. Illustration is making a rendition of a subject, or a scene or something.

We're more like illustrators in that sense. We just render things, design things.

The thing is though, from a business sense, there's the programming side and there's the art side. And in the overall you could say that the visual aspects of games is art. But then the individual pieces of art are more like illustrations, which is to say, not really art. But that's fine, who cares? If we like doing it, then let's keep on doing it.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Personally I have no clue if I'm an artist or not, I would say I feel more like an "artist" when I'm working on 2D. After learning 3D I dunno why, but to just do a sketch of a room; thats boring. Make the room in 3D and then just take a million renders think how long that would have taken to draw those million renders. I think the reason why I feel more like a artist when making 2D is because there is nothing technical to it. I mean sure perspective but there isn't that divide like oh shii I forgot to save. or *head desk why isn't this working it was just working 5 minutes ago.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    If I had to try to define 'art' I'd say it's something created to be experienced, in particular to make the person viewing it feel something. People may not feel like they are artists because they are not 'expressing themselves' through their work, but as long as those works are expressing some type of experience to the viewer and the viewer is still impacted by the work, then I would still call the work art and the person who created them an artist.

This is pretty much just my view, and it differs from the modern 'vibe' that art has gotten in that I think art is about the actual art work, not about the person making the artwork. Somewhere along the line, after the 19th century, artists began hogging the spotlight and making pieces that can't stand on their own without context or reference to the intentions of the artist, which imo just makes for weak visual art.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Being an artist and being good at making art have basically nothing to do with each other. They're not mutually exclusive, and nor are they mutually inclusive. They're just titles that occasionally coincide.

The way you become an artist is by calling yourself one or being called one by others. It's a completely arbitrary title that means absolutely nothing and only distinguishes you from the rest of the population in that you're called it and other people aren't.

To answer the personal questions:

I started thinking of myself as an artist when I realized I could make art, enjoy it, be good at it, and make money off it. "Artist" is my job title. Beyond that, I've always loved making art, but I never really thought of myself as an artist. I just thought of myself as someone who likes making pictures of stuff.

I doubt myself as an artist in the "Am I actually good at making art?" sense. I think this is entirely reasonable, and I think more artists should ask themselves this question. If you don't ever doubt yourself, you're either an art god (unlikely) or a douchebag (very likely).

As for the rather tangentially related topic of what art is, that's actually a fairly simple answer:

Art is metaphor. Period.

Music communicates primarily emotion and feeling, literature primarily communicates ideas and stories, and the visual arts communicate the same things as music and literature, though in a more abstract sense. They all communicate their respective properties through the use of medium-specific metaphors, be they notes or words or strokes of a brush.

People who make those things are artists, or at least craftsmen. The more skilled the application of the artistic medium, the better the art/craft.

Granted, this definition of art will likely peeve a rather large number of people -- specifically the ones who make any distinction between "fine" art and any other sort -- but look how many fucks I give:
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Whenever I fill out the immigration cards here and I put artist as profession Iend up thinking of some eastern European guy with tattery clothes and a fiddle. But since I'm a tech artist now I put down engineer. I omit the software part (as in software engineer) because that brings up nerdy images of pale people with dandruff and pizza crumbs on their t-shirts.... and when people really ask what I'm doing I say "I make computer games". That gives maybe an "ahhh" response as in "interesting but I have absolutely no clue what you're doing", and then I don't have to talk about the topic any more.

I stopped thinking of myself as an artist when I saw a full studio of Chinese dudes pretty much modeling almost everyone else I knew to the wall. That was humbling.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Every subjective, incomplete thing that must reference something else in order to exist is art.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9

From day dot. If you make something that can be considered art then you're an artist. Of course in my case I've said many times that I also enjoy design and would never be some kind of super-artist like some of these guys. Really the classification is only useful for job description. I would put artist if you want a job making pretty shit, and put designer if I want a job arranging pretty shit.

This one is almost rhetorical, I'm sure practically everyone here, even the greats have doubted their passions.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    A friend of mine went to a fine art school in Stockholm. Courses in which you learn to appreciate art in the right way were part of the program. As I understand, if they couldn't appreciate a piece of crap on a chair as art, they were thought how to appreciate it and how to express their appreciation properly. Some of the students eventually came to the conclusion that anything that's made to be art can be considered art. So if you take a crap on a chair by mistake it's not art but if you're doing it with the motive of creating a piece of art then it is art. This just makes me think that anything can be called art so the word loses it's value... At least our craft is more according to how traditional art has been for centuries when it comes to colors, shape and what not.

To me it's more about the skill level than what kind of art it is. If a n00b-retard or a child can do it, then it's far less respectable than if it's something that only well experienced and skilled individuals can do. Anyone can take a crap on a chair, can anyone create a super realistic scene which even non-artsy people appreciate?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Hi there,

I’ve been around for a little while, but I've only started spending more time here recently. There’s a lot of interesting talks going on here, for sure. Got lots to learn and this is definitely the place for it.

Anyway, moving on. I’ve always considered the word ‘Artist’ something very classy, fit for someone with great artistic capabilities and someone who inspires others, both through his/her art and through teaching. This is why I’m having a really hard time calling myself a Level Artist, or a 3D Artist, because I never really thought of myself as someone like that. But I am calling myself that… But it’s because, and just because, that’s the title in the industry.

So I’ve recently been forced to re-think my whole perception of artists and came across thinking about this: What makes someone an artist? Where goes the line between an Artist a… non-artist? Is anyone able to open Maya/Max and make a cube an artist? Or is an artist simply someone who can impress others? I know it’s a wide topic so I think we should stick to the gaming industry.

So I’d like to hear your thought about this.

Sorry if I placed this in the wrong forum. Really looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts.

Cheers,
    /Brygelsmack

There is no time when you start believing that you are an artist. Only when you want to believe it. Like today a person with no background of anything relative to arts can make doodles on a piece paper to tell a story and that would be his starting point of being an artist. As long as one conveys their message through their drawing, music, 3d graphical image, or even writing. He/ she is an artist. In practical world, there is no starting point of an artist because almost all of us drew something when we were kids and probably forgot about it by now.

When we start taking arts seriously and decide what field we will pursue in the art field is usually the time when we decide to start focusing on it. For me it was about 3-4 years ago.

I guess I always knew that things will end up to me being sitting at the computer table, sketching concepts out, then creating them out in 3d and implement them in a game engine. Before that I used to compose music and used to play guitars (another sort of art that I've done for like 10 years (learned by ear).) I took CG and concept arts seriously 3-4 years ago (as stated before,) when I started having these story ideas which I couldnt forget, which forced me to write them down, which also forced me to this end of arts (3d game arts.)

Through out the years people insulted at me for not making art and posting it here, not having art skills on the game industrial standard (which I have no idea what is,) even ignored me in many discussions happen on this forum. I do post my work here every now and then but it just gets buried by other threads where there is some kick ass art images, made by some guy who works in some kick ass game company. ( I call it a pointless artist show off. Not soo inspiring and it also defeats the purpose of the PnP section but you can not complain since its a privilege to be a part of this community) and there fore I get less to no critiques now, but I never doubted nor backed out from learning art and still learning it. :)
  • baalnazzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there's a thin line between being and not being artist in art works. But I think there's visible line between artist and artisan. I see one as creator and the other one as recreator. Simple :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well if you're doing something relatively artistic then yeah you're probably an artist of some sort. I agree with Saman on this one, usually to me it's about the skill level. You can be considered an artist but maybe that is one thing that will be judged by your peers, and it's usually if you're very creative and skilled at the same time.

Other than that you can just be creative and apply that creativity to the artistic field. (Which means you can be a sucky artist, but creative enough to create something considered to be artistic?)

I don't know , it's a tricky subject. Not sure if there is a right answer at all.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I just make pictures. Other people are inevitably going to call me what they want regardless, so I figure I'll leave that part up to them.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I like to draw sticky figures.

But seriously speaking, this is the only truth:
    pior wrote: »
    Does it really matter ? Just work on your stuff. Who cares what people call it.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I obviously care, that's why this thread exists... If you're not interested discussing it, why bother posting?
    ______

Anyway, I think my perception of the word is a bit skewed because of its meaning in Swedish. Artist basically translates into 'konstn
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I obviously care, that's why this thread exists... If you're not interested discussing it, why bother posting?

Haha! Calm down, man. I don't want to mess up your thread. Just express my point of view. That is exactly what I posted before. ;)
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I make stuff, and that infects all areas of my life.

See? This guy has his shit sorted out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always thought of it as a label other people put on you not a label you put on yourself.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    I've always thought of it as a label other people put on you not a label you put on yourself.

I like that I've always called myself an artist because thats what other people labeled me as I just liked to draw ^^;;
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Much like Michelangelo people ask me to paint murals for them even though I have no mural painting experience - therefore I'm an artist.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    If someone else (like an employer) calls you an artist, sure, you're an artist. If someone is the kind of person who gives a fuck about the definition of artist, and whether or not someone "is" an artist, then usually that person isn't worth listening to.

Nowadays I'm an Art Producer, though, so I'm a sell-out, not an artist :)
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Well, as pior said it doesn`t really matter but here is my take on it anyway.

I think game art is ultimately art but not fine art (for most people art=fine art) but applied art.

My title is environment artist but I feel what I do is a cross between art and craft.

It requires creativity and some degree of technical knowledge to make something that is not only nice looking but also functional.

My `art` has function. That function is to provide a visually engaging world to the player. The creative side is making it look good.

All the other bits are technical(gameplay constraints, optimizations, bug fixing etc.) So I`m a weird mixture of an artist and an artisan.

In that regard I think game art is art but it`s not fine art but part of applied arts.

Applied arts
    Applied art is the application of design and aesthetics to objects of function and everyday use. Whereas fine arts serve as intellectual stimulation to the viewer or academic sensibilities, the applied arts incorporate design and creative ideals to objects of utility, such as a cup, magazine or decorative park bench.

I think we could add game visuals to that list.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not sure if game art can be considered applied art. Applied art would more likely be nice GUI designs for tools and programs. A game is more like a collection of several art elements; music, images, writing and more. If the art doesn't exist there then it's no longer a game but a tech demo with very basic graphics and sound.
    Many games' art that can be considered fine art in my opinion, just look at Trine 2, it's like a moving painting.

I think the word artist is used like a general term for things involving graphics. What would you call a character artist otherwise? A character designer? That's something else. Character creator would be a bit misleading since you wouldn't know if an artist, writer or a programmer has the job to create it(in job postings etc).

I agree with the fact that it doesn't matter in the end though, however I do find this an interesting topic and worthy of discussion. It's just a word and again, the art word is being used so widely that it's lost it's value.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Art is dumb and so am I! Just have a few beers, say "Who give the fuck" and do some shit.

This is. America
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Everyone who goes onto Britain's Got Talent is an artist according to the presenters. ;-)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    art is such a vague term, you can never tell what it actualy is.
    i´d like to see art in a way like saman, but most people in the non-cg modern art world don´t.
    so i think there is no use in forcefully trying to fit into that category.
    just keep doing what you love and try to improve yourself. doesnt matter if it is art or not.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    my post is art right now suck my penus
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    ceebee wrote: »
    my post is art right now suck my penus

+1
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee is a world wide webbed erotic performance artist, also smh relevant link from my morning rss feed

http://visualartmerchandising.blogspot.ca/2012/06/dont-be-artist.html
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    it's just a tittle....

but...

think of yourself as an artist, and you'll never be one. ask a caterpillar how he uses all his legs and he'll start tripping while he explains...
  • Soul_of_Solace
    Artist is really a vague term. I mean, I've probably been labeled an Artist in a job title, but I'm sure most people would call it debatable whether I was actually much of one.

I like the quote that someone posted of "I just make stuff", because that's pretty much it.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    ikken wrote: »
    ceebee is a world wide webbed erotic performance artist, also smh relevant link from my morning rss feed

http://visualartmerchandising.blogspot.ca/2012/06/dont-be-artist.html

Read it, man he took a while to get to his point. I somewhat agree, but at the same time if I just want to describe something casually, Artist will do.

Also for some reason I burst out laughing at:
    I am a creative self-employed professional
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ he is a mentor at emily carr university, if you know what I mean.
    probably some of students who're expected to pick up marketing bits from him don't fall under any other tangible category, so there you have
    better than "'l'artist" already, but still not saying much.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Norman Rockwell.

Interesting coincidence, but I just finished watching this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Norman-Rockwell-Paintiing-Edward-Herrmann/dp/B00002RATJ/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1341554552&sr=1-3&keywords=american+masters+norman+rockwell"]documentary about Norman Rockwell[/ame]. Pretty cool, I recommend it to everyone.

One thing that struck me, which they kinda glossed over in the documentary, is how you repeatedly see Rockwell struggling with his own notion that he's not a real artist. There's a part where you see his sons talking about how he wanted them to be painters. And he would tell them this quote that says it all:
    "I want you guys to be serious artists, not a commercial artist like me, I want you to be the real thing".

And he refused to refer to himself as an artist, but as an illustrator, which is astonishing considering he's Norman f'n Rockwell. But he really did consider himself to not be a real artist.

There is another part about how in his later years this became really troubling for him. He even went to the old Rembrandt (his favorite artist) house in Europe and managed to get access to Rembrandt's own studio. There he's asking Rembrandt if he approves of him, and of course, there is no reply. Which to himself is symbolic of a big divine "maybe" as an answer to his question.

Interesting stuff.