Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

franken-FAL in progress

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
reverendK polycounter lvl 7
I started fitting this into my day on thursday afternoon. Just finished the HiPoly tonight, aiming for feedback before i start making lowpoly for it. Thank ye.
falHighPoly1.jpg

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Haven't checked out any references, but your picatinny rails seem way too small. Also, all your edges are very very tight and will not bake down well. Not sure about the strong features on the stock either, but again, didn't check out any ref's ;)
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Haven't checked out any references, but your picatinny rails seem way too small. Also, all your edges are very very tight and will not bake down well. Not sure about the strong features on the stock either, but again, didn't check out any ref's ;)

All that stuff!

The rear sight is waaaaay off too, and the rail it's mounted on.
    Fn-FAL520aperature.jpg

Magazine, and gas assembly look a bit off too, I'd go back and collect some more references to fix it up, because otherwise it looks pretty good.

EDIT: Just noticed you are missing the carry handle too, you have the notch,but not the handle itself:
    FAL_carrying_handle_left.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @misticchbo: ack. i knew i was forgetting something. Handle. and i forgot the mag release too. rats. Thanks for the crit, I defenitely agree with the sight rail for sure- it's defenitely to short and wide and minus that hole. I was, however, modeling a different rear sight..for which the reference has vanished like a sneeze in the wind. I suppose i'll just swap it out for the one you brought up - as it's the easiest to find on google :D
    thanks for the help.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got to get back on this one. rebuilt the rear sight and made some additional changes to a few minor details thanks to a friend who owns the gun. Also got the handle on there and a mag release. On to the low poly!falUpdate.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    looking pretty nice, though that carry handle is way too small. In the ref you can see it's a good bit bigger than the ejection port, yours is much smaller
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    cptSwing wrote: »
    [...] your picatinny rails seem way too small. Also, all your edges are very very tight and will not bake down well. Not sure about the strong features on the stock either [...]

All these issues still persist..

Check out the rails here:

IMG_6306.jpg

and here (blurry):

IMG_6305.jpg

and the stock:

FALfile002.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wanted to try to nail >10K polys...but i'm kind of stuck at 12k. I'm not sure what else i can realy cut at this point, though without compromising things.
    I may swap out for a more blocky grip, but that'll only get me so far. I'm beginning to think i'm just gonna deal with being a little over.
    falWireWIP.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    There is alot of edges there you can lose without killing your overall detail...
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Poly distribution is a bit poor atm, why are there holes in the bottom of the foregrip when you don't have magazine grooves modeled in? The former won't be seen where as the latter will :P