Female ArenaNet Art Test [WIP]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eazy polycounter lvl 9
Latest:

fn_02.jpg

fn_01.jpg

fn_03.jpg

So I'm super late to this party, but I needed the zBrush practice and the wonderful feedback the PC community provides oh so beautifully.

Here's my latest, after about a couple of weeks. I still have a lot of work to do, but would love to hear what you guys think about her so far.

wip01.jpg

wip02.jpg

Replies

• Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    how did u sculpt the fur? Which brush did you use? I'm guessing move tool or snakehook? then clean it up with move?
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Iciban wrote: »
    how did u sculpt the fur? Which brush did you use? I'm guessing move tool or snakehook? then clean it up with move?

You are correct on the Move and Snakehook brushes. On some of the pieces I used the clay buildup to give it a more sculpted look. I actually still need to do some more cleanup with move...
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    urpdate:

wip03.jpg

now to start working on the lower body... if you know what i mean...
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Slowly but surely. Her boots are kinda plain-looking, I'm wondering if I should add some buckles or clasps to add some more interesting detail to the basic shapes.

wip04.jpg

wip05.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    After a long hiatus that included moving back to Canada, I finally have some progress to show. Retopo, UV's and just normal bakes for now. Diffuse and spec maps will be next on my hit list.

wip06.jpg

wip07.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Here's my progress with painting her diffuse map. I'd love to hear your crits or anything!

wip08.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Hey, looking like a good start. But there are some things I see.

The skin looks ashy at the moment. Add some warm red/orange tones on places that tend to be warm, like the cheecks, nose, lips and a slight purple to cooler places, such as under the chin, shadow areas, etc.

The leather isn't reading like leather at the moment and work on your specular and gloss. The hair seems like it could use some volume and there are some anatomy issues on the face. Keep working on it.

Good luck.
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you for your feedback, garriola83! Right now this is just showing my progress on the diffuse map, but I definitely see what you're talking about with the dead skin and flat leather texture.

I'm planning on adding some alpha cards for the fur and the hair after I work out the diffuse map on the rest of the pieces, and then look at spec/gloss after that. I'm gonna mess around with her face geo pretty soon tho, cuz you're right it looks weird.

EDIT:
    Here's the fix I applied to the face. Let me know what you think.
    face_fix.gif
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Here's an update on the diffuse! This time with Legs included!

wip09.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    quicky update: added fur and hair alpha planes, diffuse map 100%

wip10.jpg
    wip11.jpg
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Threw my model into Marmoset and put some presentation images together.

fn_02.jpg

fn_01.jpg

fn_03.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    You did a pretty nice job with the clothing but the characters itself, face and torso in particular looks way wrong. First the head looks deformed with the facial area sloping like it is and the eyes and lips looks like they're just pasted on and not being built in with the head. There's an overall lack of definition in areas that needs it.

Basically you need to redo the character itself. Keep the clothes. You do not make them justice as it is right now.

Don't want to come of as a douche but this is what I sincerely think.
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    face looks awful
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    deolol: Not very helpful, he posted here to get some better feedback than just 'face looks awful'

eazy: Your UV layout has a lot of wasted space, each island could probably be scaled up and the face should definitely take up more space.

And the texture needs a lot of work. The skin looks really muddy probably because you just layed a grayscale AO on top of it. It really helps to use a colored AO especially for the skin areas. The spec isnt really helping either, it just looks flat across the whole model. Would help if it was stronger.
  • yannage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Sukotto on the UV layout. You'll see in a lot of textures of characters the face/head typically takes up a decent portion.

The arms feel kinda thin.

I think the texture could use a bit of vibrance.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yannage is right, your arms are way skinny right now. Probably because they were thin to begin with and then when you retopologized they somehow got even thinner. When I retopo I ususally bump the offset value up a few so this doesn't happen.

The eyes also look too big, and the face is not quite flat enough I think because the eyes appear to wrap oddly around the head. (the outer corner of the eye should be pushed +y)

I also agree about adding more color to the textures and skin tones.

Keep going dude and good luck!
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with the above comments.. the UVs could be redone and packed better. Right now there is a lot of wasted space, and with only 1024^2, you want to use as much of that space as possible for details. Also, some of your UV shells could be mirrored (hands, etc).

The textures are also looking a bit flat and could really use more color and "pop" to them. The lighting setup you're using isn't doing you any favors either. Try some different lighting setups. The specular map should be greyscale according to the guidelines of the test, and it needs some love--it doesn't look like your normal map is doing much and a good specular map can really help to bring out the details in the normals.

In regards to the face.. I would suggest that you have a look at some of the Hazardous characters and the Haz Course Characters. Study pictures of women's faces and practice drawing and sculpting them. Go back to your sculpt and spend some time trying to bring out those forms and match what you see in the Haz Course level work.

And also, you're 5k tris above the limit.. there are a lot of areas where I can see unnecessary geometry. Most notably in the upper legs. If it's not greatly contributing to the silhouette or helping deformation, it's not really needed.

Keep working on it and keep pushing to get better!! Good luck! :)