Home General Discussion

How fast should I be making models?

kuujo
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kuujo polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

I have a question that is very important to me. I worked as a trainee programmer for a small game company. I thought I was good at it, but it turned out, that it doesn't really matter what I can do, but how fast I can do it. And I was really slow, way to slow. In the end I had unfinished daily tasks even from two weeks before and didn't get the job.

My question is, what is the speed for a starting 3D artist that gets the job? I mean for example, how long should it take to make a 15k poly character, or a 8k weapon model.

I would be really happy if someone posted at least one example of what they were making for their company and how much time it took them to finish. And I mean people with small experience, not veterans.

Do companies often split the work, so one graphic does models, other textures them etc. or one guy does a model from start to finish?

Sorry if it was answered here before.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    your just starting, out, work on quality first. Speed and efficiency, will come with repetition and experience.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    ^ This. Take your time to make the best work possible. I think studios hire artists, not racers :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with passerby 100%.
    No one hires someone to produce crap really really quickly.

If you've managed to hit industry level quality then here are some things you might want to do to speed up.
    • Record yourself
      • It works in sports and it works in production.
      • This helps you to find those time wasting activities like traveling the distance of the screen several times every min to click a button. Is there a faster way to handle that action, a key bind, a right click menu, a script?
      • This also helps you find the holes in your workflow that could have been solved with a bit more planning and a clearer picture of the end result.
    • Learning the scripting language of the 3D app
      • This has helped speed me up tremendously and I'm not a scripting guru.
      • If you need a script and one hasn't been created then you can make it.
      • You start to figure out faster ways to work like create smarter key binds so one key does multiple things, how to keep your mouse where you're working and out of the toolbars.
    • Use time task tracking software
      • There are a few but ManicTime Tracker will help you discover how much time you are spending actually working (normally very little but perceived as a lot).
    • Above all PLAN IT OUT
      • I can't stress proper planning enough.
      • Take a few min to sketch out a few ideas quickly, it saves you from trying to spend hours or days trying to muddle through the ideal by modeling or sculpting it.
      • Often people without a clear idea will concept model and end up married to the first thing they envision either because of a looming deadline or because they put so much time into seeing if it will work throwing it out becomes a non-option.
      • Unwrapping and texture sheets becomes a lot easier if you know roughly where your seams are going to be and how it will be unwrapped and laid out. Thinking about those things during the design/sketching phase really pays off later.
      • A wise old Disney animator once said (and I'm paraphrasing):
    "If you have 7 days to get something done, spend 5 days doing nothing but planning, then spend 2 days slamming out the work.

If you don't you will get to day 5 and realize it's all garbage, throw it out and spend two days scrambling to get something done and praying that its better than what you tossed out. Some of the time it will be, but at best only marginally. Some artists are fine with marginal improvement when they can get it, but we don't hire those guys...

So what would you rather do, spend 2 days working like a mad hatter, chasing your tail, with no direction and very little hope that what you're doing will work, or spend 2 days slamming out the best work you have ever done?
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    jramauri wrote: »
    ^ This. Take your time to make the best work possible. I think studios hire artists, not racers :)

While I agree taking your time while learning is great and all. When you start working on a tight development schedule, speed becomes a factor. The trick is just practice.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta repeat a quote I first heard when learning guitar: "Speed is a by-product of accuracy".
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    passerby wrote: »
    your just starting, out, work on quality first. Speed and efficiency, will come with repetition and experience.

i think the other way around also works, not for getting the job as the results will never be presentable. Basically what i did with Hanno back in the days when we started. And our english wasn't very good (well its not very good yet either, but back then it was bad) we've been watching timelapsed modelling videos.
    And really wondered why the artists are alway sooooo fast. So we sat down and trained ourselves, by speedmodelling.
    We never reached the inital speed of the timelapsed videos, but we sure gained some speed and control over our work in a short timeframe. We started with doing a head in an hour, later we did stuff in 20 minutes.
    The trick is to stop at the timeframe, no matter how it looks and go on to the next. Think about where you lacked something (knowledge, workflow etc.) and try to improve on the next piece. You can really tighten the way you work and you might see problems and will search for solutions find scripts to speed up the slowing down parts of your work.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    yeah doing quick tests and speed models/iteration helps when it comes time to do the longer portfolio projects. Basically you build up a knowledge bank of where you will run into issues or where your time sinks are. But that helps to focus on the art.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Daelus wrote: »
    I gotta repeat a quote I first heard when learning guitar: "Speed is a by-product of accuracy".

+1 i thought guitar years ago, when i was in high school, and always got people who wanted to play stuff fast like metal, to do exercise to increase there accuracy, and things like economy of motion.

the speed comes onces it is all part of your muscle memory.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    jramauri wrote: »

except for racer445 maybe :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    i think the other way around also works, not for getting the job as the results will never be presentable. Basically what i did with Hanno back in the days when we started. And our english wasn't very good (well its not very good yet either, but back then it was bad) we've been watching timelapsed modelling videos.
    And really wondered why the artists are alway sooooo fast. So we sat down and trained ourselves, by speedmodelling.
    We never reached the inital speed of the timelapsed videos, but we sure gained some speed and control over our work in a short timeframe. We started with doing a head in an hour, later we did stuff in 20 minutes.
    The trick is to stop at the timeframe, no matter how it looks and go on to the next. Think about where you lacked something (knowledge, workflow etc.) and try to improve on the next piece. You can really tighten the way you work and you might see problems and will search for solutions find scripts to speed up the slowing down parts of your work.
    I agree there is something to be said for accepting that there is a high probably that you will fail and the only way to get to success to fail as quickly as possible so you can hit success that much faster. The trick is to move fast enough to find success quickly but not moving so fast that you repeat past failures and never take the time to learn from them.

That is why I suggest sketching out ideas vs concept modeling, rapid iteration to find the best idea vs a long time between iterations. A lot of people will block in some basic shapes in 3D and then sketch out over the top of a screen grab to kick around ideas so its a mix of the two but idea is the same, find out what doesn't work as quickly as possible to find what does work.
  • kuujo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kuujo polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for all replies.

I really like the Disney animator quote, I always heard that planning is important, but this showed me how important it is.
    Cojax wrote: »
    While I agree taking your time while learning is great and all. When you start working on a tight development schedule, speed becomes a factor. The trick is just practice.

That is exactly what I mean. I began my work as programmer, I was trying to make everything perfect and suddenly project leader asks me "are you finished? Our client is waiting and he's pissed off". Then company lost some money because of contract. Client insisted to get unfinished product, so we gave it to him and it went live in that state. So when hired, time is important.

The problem with me is I always need to make everything perfect to every little detail.

I asked about time to make this and that done, because I want to have some reference. So I know that, when I can make this thing in that amount of time, I can send job application. So please, if you could give some examples, I need to know what to aim at.

Thanks for advices.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Keep in mind that every model is different. The time it takes to model a medieval, painterly chair for games is very different than it takes to make a futuristic chair for movies. It depends. Also keep in mind that artists always want to improve their work, so nothing is ever perfect. You will always find something that you want to change in your model or texture. The question would be, is it shipable/usable?

Like everyone said, practice and plan. The more practice you have, the better you are at knowing exactly how to tackle a model beforehand and make less mistakes along the way.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically, you can never be fast enough. So start slow and make good quality models. As you get more skilled, you'll get faster (skills acquired, muscle memory, knowledge of your modeling apps, etc). Then you'll naturally start modeling faster. Rinse, repeat, until carpal tunnel takes you down or you retire. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kuujo wrote: »
    The problem with me is I always need to make everything perfect to every little detail.
    I had the same problems, and here are a few things that helped me it under control.

Perspective.
    Keep in mind what the end customer will see. Step back, zoom out and realize that not everything needs to be perfect, striking a balance between good enough and perfect is often the difference between delivering the customer is happy with and not.

"You can't see the forest for the trees".
    Realize that when you are building a forest, you are not building 4,000 individual trees all with critters. By all means, make it look good but remember its not the UV's on the knot hole that the customer will see when they look at the forest. If you spend 3hrs shuffling UV's around did it really make that big of an impact? Is the customer going to open it up and complain that you used 94.5% of the UV space instead of spending 3 extra hours improving that to 94.7%? They probably won't praise you for the added optimization but the will complain if its 3hrs late.

Plywood cows and Hollywood sets.
    We create illusions and approximations of real objects. We don't factually recreate objects bolt for bolt, branch for branch, atom for atom. Only put enough detail that needs to be there to make it believable, in the way that it will be viewed. Don't obsess about eyelashes if the character is going to be a silhouette on a distant hill.

There is beauty in simplicity and optimization.

This kind of thinking pays out in huge ways in games and allows us to do so much more with so much less.

A smart guy (Perna) pointed out in a long gone thread that often people get their models up to 90% finished pretty quickly then spend the majority of their time tweaking and tuning things that really aren't making that much of an impact. At that point you can walk away and the customer is probably happy with it even if you aren't.
    kuujo wrote: »
    I asked about time to make this and that done, because I want to have some reference. So I know that, when I can make this thing in that amount of time, I can send job application. So please, if you could give some examples, I need to know what to aim at.

Thanks for advices.
    I'm sure other people could give you better examples but here are some examples from where I work.

• 3mo for a fully featured environment in a point and click adventure game.
    • 4 weeks per 20,000+ poly character that has facial animations.
      • 1 week for a concept (technically 3 days with 2 days of feedback, critique and changes)
      • 1-1.5weeks for high poly sculpt (2-3 days of critique)
      • 3 days-1week for low poly and UV's
      • 1-1.5 weeks for materials.
  • MikeDunnam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeDunnam polycounter lvl 6
    quote wrong thing. nvm :P
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    To give you an idea, an asset from A to Z, depending on the asset and style, from one afternoon for a small object to a week for a hero object..

A few weeks (3-4) for an important building.

But all that's env related, not sure you're aiming at that.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    kkujo,
    one important aspect, what do you enjoy?
    The reason I ask, is that you first tried as programmer, and failed, then come ask questions about art position. It's good to be prepared for what expectations are for any job, but make sure you really are after it. Cause you could just as well with the experience made continue on programming and build up there.
    If working on game art suits you more, that's cool, but don't be shaken just by that one obstacle that was too high yet. It's not a total binary lifetime decision, but it will need a lot of effort on your end, so you better feel well from within ;)
  • elec²ron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elec²ron polycounter lvl 12
    keep in mind that if you rush something and its not good enough someone might have to remake it later, so giving an asset and extra day or so of love could actually save time in the long run.

You just have to make sure your own quality control is in line with the rest of the game assets.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    time doesnt matter when its in a good company, i take my time to really finish a task so no rework is nececary, and when people gasp that you produce real quality content its fine, that way i got the slowest programmer of my company, and due to taht i got a wage rise 2 times in this year
  • kuujo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kuujo polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the advices about going slow, it gives me hope that I will be able to make it.

Thank you for your tips Mark. This really changes my view on some of the things and will make my work easier.
    • 3mo for a fully featured environment in a point and click adventure game.
    • 4 weeks per 20,000+ poly character that has facial animations.
      • 1 week for a concept (technically 3 days with 2 days of feedback, critique and changes)
      • 1-1.5weeks for high poly sculpt (2-3 days of critique)
      • 3 days-1week for low poly and UV's
      • 1-1.5 weeks for materials.

That is exactly what I needed.
    ParoXum wrote:
    To give you an idea, an asset from A to Z, depending on the asset and style, from one afternoon for a small object to a week for a hero object..

A few weeks (3-4) for an important building.

Usefull information, thanks.

kkujo,
    one important aspect, what do you enjoy?
    The reason I ask, is that you first tried as programmer, and failed, then come ask questions about art position. It's good to be prepared for what expectations are for any job, but make sure you really are after it. Cause you could just as well with the experience made continue on programming and build up there.
    If working on game art suits you more, that's cool, but don't be shaken just by that one obstacle that was too high yet. It's not a total binary lifetime decision, but it will need a lot of effort on your end, so you better feel well from within ;)

I was always more focused on graphics and that is the thing I always enjoyed. The case was that there was no job for a trainee cg artist, so I took what was avaliable at that time. It was a mistake, I didn't feel good in there at all and that also had an impact on my performance. I lost this job, so I have a chance to do it right this time. And I want to be prepared.

Thank you for all the support. I read it very carefully and it really has a big impact on my way of thinking.