Home General Discussion

BBC Sherlock

Just finished the second season.

I'm curious who out there has seen it before I talk too much.

All I'll say is that whoever pulled focus on that show is a bad ass. If any of you have ever filmed before, you know most of those shots had to be focused down to the inch.

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Haven't seen any of it, but very keen to start. Production values seem high and I like the guy who plays Watson. Let's watch the spoilers! ;)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah it's a great re-imagining of the classic Sherlock, and Cumberbatch does quite a good job with the role (as does the guy playing Moriarty). Good mix of serious and fun, looking forward to a third season.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Seen it, love it.
    I also love how each "season" is just a really long movie... but then hate it when its done and waiting forever for the next season.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I was incredibly dissatisfied by the plot of the last episode of season 2 until somebody informed me that it is accurate to books.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This show is brilliant! Love the hour and a half long episodes...wish there were more than three episodes per season though. . .
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Me and my partner where hooked on these. I didn't know they were making a third season though!

Be a nice surprise for her aha!

Also to reiterate - There utterly brilliant!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. Love it!

My favourite episode was the Series2 ep1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00m5wm9
    I don't think Moriaty is dead either. Seems far fetched I know. He shoots himself in the head. I have a theory though but i'd have to watch the last episode again.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So there was a second season, and a third one at that! They only aired the first one on swedish television, well, that's something I can't miss :)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Such a good series, I can't wait for them to explain what happened at the end of the last episode! SE3 will no doubt be equally awesome
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything about this show is utterly amazing, the camera work, the performances, the story, the music. They way they visually present Sherlock's lines of thinking is always so much fun, and you have to pay serious attention and work your brain to follow what's going on :)
    I think the showrunners said that Moriarty IS dead.
    Then again they signed for Season 3 at the same they did for Season 2 but kept it a secret from the world for like a year ;)

Also, Cumberbatch is the villain in the new Star Trek movie, and he's voicing Smaug in the Hobbit; where Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo. I think it's safe to say that the first season of Sherlock helped them a lot to land these roles - but now it's forcing them to delay season 3 ;)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Benedict Cumberbatch is the most British name I have ever heard.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch is the most British name I have ever heard.

Agreed. He also looks like a hammerhead shark. Its funny though because I know a ton of girls who love him.

Anyway how do I do the spoiler black text thing?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just as if you were doing a quite or bolds, but write 'spoiler' instead.

And yeah girls dig the Sherlock. But only if they can watch and hear him - at least that's what I'm told, that's what sells the guy and not his looks.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    replace { with [ and } with ]

{spoiler}*text{/spoiler}

Otters that look like benedict cumberbatch

Otters-Who-Look-Like-Benedict-Cumberbatch1.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okie dokie
    I was sort of dissapointed with moriarty dying. Not really the fact of it, but more the way it happened. Taking your life to prove a point just seems to show weakness and desperation.

I do however think that his character matches up to the quality of the joker in the dark knight. I was thinking about it for a while last night and came to the conclusion that it is because of him being relatable. On paper he seems crazier and less realistic than a mob boss from 24, but really he acts as the devil on your shoulder. He only exists when related to you. Moriarty is only relevant when talking about Sherlock. But making him relatable and utterly insane at the same time isn't something you see pulled off that often. It's easier to make the mob boss killer.

I also want to note the relationship between the Robert Downey Jr version and the last season of the last episode. Its the same scene only handled very differently. Sherlock realizes that he can only kill moriarty by killing himself. It was honestly brilliant.

I'm curious though how he survived/faked his suicide. There are a lot of theories involving that lab girl offering help, the gas for the forrest hound thing maybe hitting watson before he saw sherlock dead. Also Moriarty was dead on the building.

Edit: Sorry if I went a little too deep there, I take a lot of plot and story classes so this is what I think about when I'm watching stuff. Also what rig, lens, and camera they are using at any given time. It's sort of a curse...

The one thing I hate about the show is the production cycle. It was apparently confirmed that they won't start filming until January 2013. That blows! That means July 2013 maybe? I know Breaking bad started in January and is set to air in 3 weeks.

I personally don't want more episodes in a season though. It seems like the middle episode is always the "random case" episode. I always wished Moriarty would show up in those.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    Okie dokie
    I was sort of dissapointed with moriarty dying. Not really the fact of it, but more the way it happened. Taking your life to prove a point just seems to show weakness and desperation.

Actually it wasn't really about that, IMHO...
    Moriarty believed that the only meaning in his life was to find his intellectual equal - and then defeat him and destroy him.
    He was completely insane, of course; but very close to Sherlock in that he too is close to being a sociopath or someone with Asperger's syndrome. Imagine what Holmes could have achieved if he turned into a criminal.

Anyway, Moriarty killed himself because he really believed Sherlock's point that as long as he lives, Holmes can save his friends without dying. Defeating his enemy at the game and making sure he has to kill himself was more important to Moriarty than his own life, and that is why he shot himself. It's totally worth it as long as Sherlock has to die, too, because then he still wins.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vargatom
    I feel that the first half of what you said is basically what I meant just that I was going further to say that Moriarty is the reincarnation of the evil that is probably inside of Sherlocks head. Everyone has those moments when it comes out.

As for him killing himself, I feel that once you kill yourself, you are done. I mean I guess some religions say you overlook the world and watch the people who were once around you. But the point is that once you are dead, you can't think. There is no moment of "fuck yeah. I win. You lose". But also there is no confirmation that it was worth it. I mean for example, Sherlock did technically get out of it. So the stretch that it wasn't worth it, is actually reality.

I'll have to go back and watch that seen. I just felt that, A. I wish he didn't die and B. I wish it would have been different. That being said, in order to follow the outcome of the story that was given and making it in a modern setting, I don't know how I would have dealt with it differently. It sure beats sherlock grabbing him and jumping off...
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    From what i guessed is that it was Moriarty that was threw off the building. Remember the little girl screaming since she thought Sherlock was him?
    So i reckon he got the lab girl to help him dress up Moriarty and threw him off the edge. And that the lab girl was the one who got the body at the morgue so she lied and said it was Sherlock.

Thats what i came up with anyway.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    And remember the cyclist that hit him on his way to the body...
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think that the lab girl just did the body identification. I don't think the Sherlock needed help dressing him up. I think the extent of it was the jacket.

Also the biker could have hit Watson with that gas. That would explain the "fearing the worst".