Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Beginner High Poly Model ~ Colt M1911A

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
Evening guys! As the title says, I'm some what of a beginner and this is my first go at a properly high poly model. I've been modelling since September, I've just finished my first year on a Games Art course as Teesside Uni in the UK. I'm working on stuff to fit into a portfolio with the aim of getting a placement between my second and third years. Any help/critique would be awesome. I want to learn!

Decided to go with a fairly simple pistol, a Colt M1911A. The goal is to texture it like Baby Doll's from Sucker Punch;

35d2exi.jpg

I'll probably do a standard gun texture as well, if I don't get sick of it by the time I've finished. :D

Anyway, he's where I currently am with this;

mioqj4.jpg

29awljl.jpg

dylik5.jpg

33e7blk.jpg

Currently the 3 elements aren't joined, not until I get the basic form down and then I'll go back in, attach them and then add all the details, such as the trigger, the grip on the handle, all the other pointy bits, etc. The pink handle bit has been halved as well, shall be mirrored soon, of course. :) Thanks for checking my thread out!

Replies

• IsparticusI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IsparticusI polycounter lvl 8
    so far, the base is looking good! with only so little shown, the only comment i can give to you is based off your comment, about attaching high poly objects.. For high poly, there really is no need to attached them, keep them seperate. It keeps things less cluttered, and much more organized. Even when you go into making your low poly, and the baking process, it really doesn't matter whether or not they are attached :) keep it up!
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I would fatten up those bevels a little. It may not be 100% accurate but the bake will come out better. But so far, it looks pretty clean.
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @IsparticusI: Thanks very much! And thanks for the tip, for some reason I was under the impression that it was best to have things attached as one object via vertices and things, but that definitely makes this easier, specially with high poly stuff! :)

@JonathanLambert: Thanks! I'm not sure which bit you are referring to when you say bevels (I'm a newbie), do you mean the... curved dip at the front of the gun? ^_^''

Anyway - an update! I've been working on this pretty solidly, it's slowly coming together but I feel like it takes me a while to get anywhere with it, but it's a learning process so I'm not to bothered about that right now.

mlo36u.jpg

2wdra0z.jpg

Putting in some of the final details, I also removed the little dip either side of the trigger as I was having issues getting it to curve properly, I'm sure I will learn of a way to do it in time but for now I thought it was best just to remove it, some Colts don't have them anyway so it's not totally inaccurate. Leaving the handle until dead last, I think. My laptop churns sometimes at the .5mil tris and the handle is going to add so much more. >.<
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update before I hit the sack.

2eogm1j.jpg

More details have been added, currently I'm faffing with the back grip of the handle as the one I've got on the image above isn't good enough, I don't think. Comments and critiques welcomed and encouraged. :)
  • parodice29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice the only thing i would say is the front sight is too wide! whats your poly limit going to be!
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @parodice29: So it is! I never noticed that before. XD I'll go in and thin in down tomorrow morning. Poly limit is uhh, well the high poly, which this is, doesn't have a limit really. It's at 500k or so right now, for the low poly it will probably be somewhere between 10k-15k. :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Bevels are the the rounded corners on everything. I did an extremely quick paintover with my mouse (too lazy to plug in my tablet thats sitting next to me lol). The red lines are examples of the bevels, and the blue-ish lines are suspected pinching area. Where you have decently noticeable creases in spots that should be smooth. Some of them are questionable, but thought I would point out just a couple that were in noticeable areas. Looking good so far, and as others have said, dont worry about attaching for the high poly, for the bake sometimes it helps to get cleaner lines on some objects if you dont connect.

5F7Ex.jpg