Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[texture sketchbook] dunbar

c22dunbar
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
c22dunbar polycounter lvl 14
hi guys, i'm working on some textures and i'd like to get Your opinion on them.

here's the first one(for now diff only and not tiling yet)

288v2u1.jpg

lemme know what You think. more coming later.

Replies

• shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Upper right corner, that black smear will be a dead give away of a tileable texture once you start using it on your walls etc. I would try to remove it, and for cases like that, use projection decals for grunge detail. Other than that, it's starting to look nice.
  • c22dunbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the engine i'm using does not support decals in that manner. so it's all the old school way, without vertex blending or other tricks.

i've been having trouble finding some decent hard surface texture examples other than the usual always-floating-around tutorials. texturing big areas is always a challenge, because most ot the time the only thing You are left with is Your trusty 512x512 or 1K tiling texture and photoshop skills. from experience and looking at various tutorials (f.e racer445 or philipk)i've learned that the mose important thing in this work is proper layering and understanding how surface areas and detail frequency work. There are some textures, that despite beeing simple, have plenty of subtle details that never cease to amaze upon closer inspection.

so please, share Yor thoughts, examples or links on that subject.

ps. agree with You shinobx
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Philip K is pretty rad. I like the simplicity and beauty in his texture style.
  • c22dunbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

2qitu7n.jpg
    o5nn01.jpg

i've changed the wall texture to 1024x512 and added a new ground plate texture.

UPDATE:

2euo5qp.jpg