Home General Discussion

Thief 4 Trailer...leak or promo coup?

Anchang-Style
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
hey people,
i wanted to hear your oppinion on something. Maybe some of you heared, that there was a 30 second FMV trailer for Thief 4 leaked throug one of the artists linkein profiles.
I mean the question for me is, is this really a leak or was this some sort of coup to generate a first buzz for a soon to be first shown content?
Iam saying because the artist surely signed some sort of agreement , NOT talking or presenting any work related to yet to be released artwork, yet the trailer is suppsed to be from one of the compositors demo reel. I mean was this just a big gaff or just some promo thing to get the word around, that the game is not dead? i mean there was always the word, when Iphone prototypes were ound in bars, those accidents were staged... could you imagine this to have happened here. I mean one must imagine game studios to be run with a certain amount of professionality...like movie studios and they dont get infos out they dont want to get out.
Just wanted to hear some oppinions of people who have some insight.

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    By the sounds of things, Thief 4 might be having some issues with its development. Eidos-Montreal have lost various major people who were working on the project and the alleged leaked trailer has apparently been finished since late last year. Or at least that's the information from Kotaku. Take it with a grain of salt. With that in mind, I'd speculate that this person from Square's CG studio gets to do their trailers has gotten sick of waiting and stuck the segment of the trailer in his portfolio, assuming that no one will be any the wiser. If that is the case then he's no doubt in violation of NDA and will probably be having words with Square's lawyers.

It's extremely unlikely that this is a marketing stunt. I mean E3 was all of a week ago where they had the ideal chance to display the new Thief alongside Final Fantasy and whatever else they Square showed. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to pass up the chance to spruik it to the world while everyone is watching and then turn around and try some kind of weird viral marketing.

Has anyone seen the trailer mentioned? I've taken a look at the demo-reel where it originally appeared and rather unsurprisingly, the footage has been taken out.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I DON'T KNOW BUT IT LOOKS GR8

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-LG5lKK5E&feature=player_embedded"]Thief 4 | Leaked 30-Second Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh, they've still got the weird lanky art style that came from the original game having 300 poly characters. This makes me very happy.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    By the sounds of things, Thief 4 might be having some issues with its development. Ubisoft have lost various major people who were working on the project and the alleged leaked trailer has apparently been finished since late last year. Or at least that's the information from Kotaku. Take it with a grain of salt. With that in mind, I'd speculate that this person from whichever CG studio Ubisoft gets to do their trailers has gotten sick of waiting and stuck the segment of the trailer in his portfolio, assuming that no one will be any the wiser. If that is the case then he's no doubt in violation of NDA and will probably be having words with Ubi's lawyers.

It's extremely unlikely that this is a marketing stunt. I mean E3 was all of a week ago where Ubisoft had a big showing of what they're working on. It wouldn't make any kind of sense to pass up the chance to spriuk the new Thief to the world while everyone is watching and then turn around and try some kind of weird viral marketing.

Has anyone seen the trailer mentioned? I've taken a look at the demo-reel where it originally appeared and rather unsurprisingly, the footage has been taken out.
    Isn't Thief 4 from Eidos Montreal and published by Square Enix? Not Ubisoft?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry should have put a link to the trailer in.
    Yeah im also quite happy about the music, stuck a bit with the Medieval rock style. All in all it looks really promising, the trailers with it's lack of colours has a feel of the old intro to the first Thief to it. Yeah the points you mention, i didn't consider, probably just a internal ...well "misunderstanding" than any promo related coup (would have made more sense in relation to anything beeing shown on E3 and this have happen before E3), actually i totaly forgot, that Thief is Ubi and that it could have been shown at E3 (i always thought it was with eidos SE).
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote: »
    Isn't Thief 4 from Eidos Montreal and published by Square Enix? Not Ubisoft?
    I was in the process of fixing that when you posted. :p

I always make that mistake.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    same team that did Deus ex?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Nah their two different teams Fletch.

Looks good so far, good to see they've kept the setting and Garrett! :D Seems there going more Victorian-Steampunk than Medieval, following on from Metal Age.

Bow looks a little advanced, but since it's set in a Steampunk universe I guess that's fitting and does suit Garrett more giving him more maneuverability.

Just need to get the atmosphere nailed down now that is present in the originals.

Just hope they stick to the narrow-focused game that Thief is and not make it some actiony medieval GEOW shooter.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I've been waiting for this ever since I finished Deadly Shadow. Still have the dark project, the metal age and Deadly Shadow. :(
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    very doubtful it's marketing. Would not of yanked it so quickly, and the quality on the youtube link is quite poor. probably just a simple blunder by a worker. Few of these leaks have happened in the past to many companies through careless linkin updates.