Home General Discussion

Indie Game: The Movie.

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Watched it last night. As an aspiring Indie game developer I've been looking forward to this for a while.

I thought it was going to be a harsh reality of what being an indie dev is actually like. Sleeping on friends sofa's having no money for food, etc. It does go into the worries about lack of funds, etc. I thought i'd come away from it thinking "shit, is this really what it's like, maybe i'm not ready" and It also goes into some of the nasty trials and tribulations that a lot of devs have to go through to get a game out.

But mainly I came away from it greatly inspired and I was able to connect with what the devs were going through with their projects.

Anyhoo. Great film. I highly recommend it even if you're not thinking about becoming an indie dev.

Go watch it.

http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks pretty interesting, gonna get it on steam, cheers!
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome i cant wait to get it . BUT im pretty sure that some one some where is going to get it and be like "wtf this isnt a game" and start raging haha
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had Indie Game the Movie on preorder for what seemed like an eternity. I watched it today and I'm still trying to process it all. Even knowing what was going to be covered I still felt a lot of emotions watching it. I almost cried at a few points :poly136:

I highly recommend it :thumbup:
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Wow, watched it last night.. It was actually incredibly depressing, in the end it left me inspired, but the shit they went through was intense.
    Phil Fish kind of came off as a dick in some scenarios, but he was incredibly stressed out and depressed as well.. He threatened suicide, stated that he would like nothing better than to kill his prior associate, should anything go wrong.. It was pretty ugly.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah, Phil does come off as a bit of a dick. And some of the things he said were just childish.

He said something like: "If I don't complete this game i'll kill myself, seriously i will" and "If he doesn't sign this. I will kill him! I will...seriously..."

Grow up!

I realise he was completely stressed out and people say dumb things when stressed. Also, the video never really goes into why Phil and his ex-partner split. Might have been good to get the other side of the story. Maybe Phil was the dick in the partnership and the ex-partner was getting a bit of revenge.

Seems dumb though, holding out on signing something thats potentially going to make you very rich.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Sorry for the spoiler tags.. Let me know if it's okay to talk about in the open.
    I tried looking around as to why his partner left the company, couldn't really find anything, he also stated that he lost funding and his girlfriend shortly after that. If you have any information, I'm really interested in knowing why.

Team Meat on the other hand, seamlessly amazing guys that continue to work their asses off and are just so godamn devoted to their craft, it's incredibly inspiring.
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like it's a great insight into indie dev. Looking forward to watching it.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Really interesting movie, Loved the parts with Team Meat.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    finished watching it, and i gotta say that it was pretty depressing to see what these guys go through to fulfill there dreams!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ugh it was just watching what im doing now in a documented form..so stressful....im hoping the rewards will be ultimately as high as what those guys all had!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    this was me through the last half of the movie :'| :') :'''D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be a harsh reality of what being an indie dev is actually like. Sleeping on friends sofa's having no money for food, etc. It does go into the worries about lack of funds, etc. I thought i'd come away from it thinking "shit, is this really what it's like, maybe i'm not ready" and It also goes into some of the nasty trials and tribulations that a lot of devs have to go through to get a game out.

One of many, but a vast majority of indie developers will go through quite some hardships but shrug it off without any plans to kill themselves, even after they still haven't reached success and still struggle ;)

Indie game: the movie is partially designed, much like another fantastic documentary-movie: king of kong, it's made to bring out emotions.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I'm really glad I watched this movie, it made me feel so much better knowing that other devs out there are going through similar experiences and connecting with the sacrifices they've made for the hopes of tomorrow.

It's a lot harder career choice than the average person imagines lol. Still worth it I'd say :D

There are times when cabin fever drives you to the brink of insanity, but you just have to wake up next day and get back on the horse.
    Well that's worked so far haa >_<;

So to everyone out there who's also going nutso loco, gud luck and push through, you're not alone :)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Watched it earlier, depressing stuff but also quite endearing and inspiring. I would like to know what the deal with the Fez guys was though, Tommy Refenes also had some rather strong opinions (certain games are shit just cause, working for EA or Epic or someshut would be hell) that I wish they would have squeezed out a little more info on, rather than make him look like some kind of semi dickish hipster. Also felt kinda bad for Jonathan Blow, especially with how they spliced some of his scenes with Soulja Boys mouth diarrhoea.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these aren't real indies, real indies don't have publishers
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these aren't real indies, real indies don't have publishers

...Neither does any of these guy. They are selfpublished, all of them, hence they are indie.

SMB
    Fez
    Braid

And no, sharing publishing rights with MS for access to the XBLA distribution platform is not the same as having a publisher, if it were: No game on any type of digital distribution platform is indie.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Whether they got publishers or not they were either 1 guy or 2 guys working on the game... that's pretty great if you ask me...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    ...Neither does any of these guy. They are selfpublished, all of them, hence they are indie.

SMB
    Fez
    Braid

And no, sharing publishing rights with MS for access to the XBLA distribution platform is not the same as having a publisher, if it were: No game on any type of digital distribution platform is indie.

They are independantly developed, but some freedom was sacrificed with publishing deals, which is one of the big things you avoid with independant games. They're indie, but it would be a lie to say that their contracts with microsoft weren't in any way limiting.

A bit like the recent issue surrounding the skull of the shogun.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/12/follow-up-skulls-of-the-shoguns-win-8-debate/
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    They are independantly developed, but some freedom was sacrificed with publishing deals, which is one of the big things you avoid with independant games. They're indie, but it would be a lie to say that their contracts with microsoft weren't in any way limiting.

A bit like the recent issue surrounding the skull of the shogun.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/12/follow-up-skulls-of-the-shoguns-win-8-debate/

Yeah, all 3 of the games in the movie had funding/deals in one way or another. Fez had a couple companies on board, plus a grant from the Canadian government. SMB had contractual obligations with MS to not put it on platforms other than desktops and xbox, so their must have been some kind of payment there, either through services or money. Braid seems like most of the money actually came from Jblow, but wikipedia does cite xbox live studios and another company (that links to Jblow) as publishers.

Regardless, these games had help. Where as games like Minecraft were made by someone with a day job, until the game supported itself, and the developer.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, and I admit it's pretty juvenile of me to argue over the differences. I'm just saying I attribute more "indie cred" to people like those on polycount who have built their games from the ground up without help from a big business. I didn't see one person in this movie goto a real job to support themselves through the process, and that got to me a little.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    SMB had contractual obligations with MS to not put it on platforms other than desktops and xbox

I recall them trying to get SMB onto the Wiistore, but were unable to get the files down to the correct size

http://wii.ign.com/articles/114/1141940p1.html

Seems the contract was that it couldnt be on the PS3
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so any game that gets any kind of monetary support from the outside (grants or kickstarters or whatnot) and has a distributor/publisher they work with which slightly limits their freedom in regards to release is not True indie. Whoah that's a lot of games that are not indie anymore. And true indie can only exist on PC.

Also on SMB: Sony showed no interest in the game, so to spite Sony, Team Meat got a contract that prohibited them from EVER releasing the game on their platform.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Okay so any game that gets any kind of monetary support from the outside (grants or kickstarters or whatnot) and has a distributor/publisher they work with which slightly limits their freedom in regards to release is not True indie. Whoah that's a lot of games that are not indie anymore. And true indie can only exist on PC.

It doesn't make you NOT indie, but it limits the purpose of being indie in the first place.

The dominance of indie games on PC didn't come without a reason, there's no costs involved, no licenses, you're free to do anything you would ever want, no rules to limit the content you put in your game.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    It doesn't make you NOT indie, but it limits the purpose of being indie in the first place.

The dominance of indie games on PC didn't come without a reason, there's no costs involved, no licenses, you're free to do anything you would ever want, no rules to limit the content you put in your game.

will kinda depends on distribution, since you prolly have some obligation to valve if using steam, is a form of distribution, just like selling on the xbla marketplace.

though on PC you got the option of buy webhost space, and making your own place to sell the product.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Steam does not limit you from selling your product on consoles or even competitive distribution services.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a nice blog post I read a little while ago. I think it does a pretty good job of describing what "indie" means. Why Indie Matters by Jay Barnson.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    So games = indie?, I'm fine with that, but it's a very self-destructive definition for the definition itself.

I didn't exactly want to fight some fact that these games aren't indie as much as wanting to point out the fact that they have some extra income from publishers which funded the development and made it possible to finish these games, via contracts or not. I still see Binding of isaac going to steam as being a much better and less restricting platform for indie-developers to go for, easier to be indie.

It's a small wonderful albeit over-dramatized window into games development, but it's just one small picture of it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    This is more of what I'd wish from the movie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zskfq2xhiyE&quot;]Adam Atomic Talks Canabalt - IndieGame: The Movie - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I don't really want to get into what makes a game "indie" or not either.

All that really matters to me is that people are able to make the games that they want to make and that players get to enjoy them. Hopefully with the side effect of that being the developers making enough money to continue making games.

I suspect the special edition will be closer the Canabalt, PegJam, and Alec Holowka & Infinite Ammo shorts, than the actual movie itself.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't really want to get into what makes a game "indie" or not either.

All that really matters to me is that people are able to make the games that they want to make and that players get to enjoy them. Hopefully with the side effect of that being the developers making enough money to continue making games.

Triple-a games and developers included!
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I suspect the special edition will be closer the Canabalt, PegJam, and Alec Holowka & Infinite Ammo shorts, than the actual movie itself.

True, boring non-dramatic developer candy ;)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely! If AAA developers are working on the games they want, then I'm very happy for them :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

people who argue what is indie and what isn't are just snooty-snoots that want to keep it an exclusive club.

Having investors or a publishing deal doesn't disqualify you, having a department that handles those deals does.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

people who argue what is indie and what isn't are just snooty-snoots that want to keep it an exclusive club.

Having investors or a publishing deal doesn't disqualify you, having a department that handles those deals does.

And on the other side you have highly regarded indie developers calling triple-a games shit for being triple-a games.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And on the other side you have highly regarded indie developers calling triple-a games shit for being triple-a games.

Yeah, I thought it was ironic and snooty as fuck when the Tommy guy called mainstream games like Call of Duty shit when Mario and Megaman were just the Call of Duty of their time (i.e. good concepts sequel'd into oblivion). People 30 years from now will probably get all nostalgia'd from their rose tinted glasses about Modern Warfare.

People complain about E3 being all gun gun guns, when e3 1992 would be jump jump jumps.

---

Also, it just kind of shocks me how games like SMeatB get so many perfect or near perfect scores, sure it's got great level design, and it's fun, but it seems like a game we've all played, many times before. If that's how we're reviewing things we should have given Live Free or Die Hard an Oscar.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I mean, I wont go any further on the whole indie-dev thing as I've said, I see them as indie-developers.

So my new issue is sitting here watching it and hearing that if I like stuff such as modern warfare or halo reach I will think super meat boy (which I completely adore) to be shit.

But then again, I probably shouldn't take everything seriously, lots of things are overdramatised :P

Still: fantastic movie!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    What an amazing film.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Wait why did it take fez 5 or so years to make when some guy made a clone of it in 2 weeks while fez was in dev?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Wait why did it take fez 5 or so years to make when some guy made a clone of it in 2 weeks while fez was in dev?

One big reason was phil fish hopping in with little artistic knowledge at the start, he basically became better at pixel-art as he went, and remade the style several times.

Same happened with the game itself.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Indie Game: The Movie is on sale on steam for $5.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    ok Late to this. I just watched it a few weeks back after seeing it on instant watch on Netflex... Well I think I've re-watched it about 10 times now. I've worked on a multitude of projects and I am very proud of the work that I and the teams I've worked with have produced, but I have never had a connection to a project like these guys have. I crave that connection!!

There are 3 spots in the film that make me tear up every time.

- BoBo
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I watched it on netflix and thought it was a pretty damn good film. I've done a couple indie projects with friends that did well enough to enjoy a night out buying some top shelf booze and not much else. I love the experience. I would love to work on the next castle crashers or super meatboy or braid or whatever. But if that never happens and I'm stuck with my boring gray cubicle job for eternity, as long as I can create something cool that even just one person enjoys for just a minute, I'll be content. I think that is what the core of the film was. It wasn't about being a rockstar or getting rich, it was about creating something cool and giving others a chance to enjoy it.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd buy fez in heart beat if it was on PC, I've heard a lot of good things about it.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic movie. Edmund, Tommy and Jonathan are a huge inspiration and its great to see their hard work pay off.

Tommy and his family and Edmund and Danielle together are my favourite parts of the movie.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Wasn't Fez meant to be coming out on PC?

Also, yeah, this movie is all kinds of awesome.