Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chuck Dalton Saves the World!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
prismagon polycounter lvl 13
Howdy fellow polycounters! I've been lurking around for a while and wanted to finally post some personal stuff.

This is a tribute to all the cheesy 80's action films ( Big Trouble in Little China, Roadhouse) and beat'em up games of the era ( Final Fight, Double Dragon). I'm probably not jumping back onto this guy but please feel free to C&C with any recommendations. I'm always looking for new tips and tricks.

Base modeled in Modo. Sculpted/Rendered in Zbrush with some touchup work in Photoshop.

[img][/img]chuckdalton.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[img][/img]

Replies

• aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    This is bugging the hell out of me: how exactly is he holding the guy by the neck? I can't make it out and it looks like the hand is only half-contorted and in front of the neck?? My brain is going nuts trying to reconcile the image. More shots?
  • prismagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Eye Aivanov!

The hand is posed over the neck, but his neck is probably way to thin compared to his hand. When i was posing the subtools this was certainly a rough spot that I tried to recitfy, but I couldn't get the two areas to play nice. At this point I would have to adjust that in photoshop. I'll try doing a little post-work to see if I can make that area look less crappy
  • prismagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick little post work before bed. The hand is still looking off, but maybe just a lil bit of exposed neck and some minor cleanup helps make that area stick out less

[img][/img]chuckdaltonneckop.jpg

• prismagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I would share some turntables of some of these guys.

Off topic, but is there a preferred thread in the forums to post? I notice soo many new threads made everyday it seems easy for stuff to get buried. Thanks again!

[img][/img]chuckdaltonturnaround.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[img][/img][img][/img]girlfriendwip01.jpg

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    lol, this is awesome. definitely has the vibe that you aimed for.
    only thing sticking out is that some parts look much more polished (retouched?) than others.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    this is awesome! Theres a little bit of gibson lethal weapon one here as well! Onlz thing i could crit is the ground base doesent look as loved as the characers, but well, it is a base! Love the designs, especially love the look of the geeky dork getting crushed, great attention to detail on the 80s look.

Cant believe this hasnt received more attention, no doubt theres an M4 somewhere on the first page with an incorrect carrying handle that MUST BE CORRECTED, and that is distracting the entire forum, that would otherwise undoubtedly be posting awesome in this thread. Oh well, at least the bots like it!

shame on you polycount, great work!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    His left arm seems too idle. Rest it on his hip or have him holding a hammer or somethig. Right now he just looks like he's awkwardly posing for a photo. It's just sitting there...
  • prismagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@KazeoHin: Nice suggestion on the arm. It is kinda floating there. I wonder if I can tweak this in photoshop and maybe add a victory cigar in his hand.

Drav: He certainly has some Gibson, and some Swayze influences. The geeky guy is based off the cyberpunk types from Dark Knight Returns, and Double Dragon. Noob question, but what do you mean by an "M4"?, Is that slang for a moderator? Sorry, I've been the type to look but never really comment and/or post. But i'm trying to fix that!

Blaisoid: I can see where that is the case. The belt especially looks like it could use more love. In the raw sculpt it looks fine, but the texturing there is a little weak. Whenever I get around to making lowpoly for this guy I'll make sure to give that area and some others more texture attention!
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    t_17860.jpg

M4....guns dude, gunzzz. People on here are totally obsessed by gun accuracy. The golden troll that has never been done yet is to model an m16 with a few hook innaccuracies to get the nerd rage building, and simply add more and more small errors. It would probably break the forum.
  • prismagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha! derp!

That's funny you mention that. Our weapons artist at work made some tanks for our latest game and felt the entire community ragefest on him over important details like bolt shapes and the font used on some of the gauges. I had originally wanted to make a weapon like the one below but eventually felt it didn't fit the character well. I'd like to imagine he's the type that doesn't use guns. His fists are the weapons ;)

[img][/img]381815.jpg