Home General Discussion

Showmethatagain : low poly hair tute price drop!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to let you know that I've decided to drop the price on my low poly hair tute at www.showmethatagain.com. I racked up 500 unique visits to the site last week since I relaunched it - a number of whom visited the info page for the hair tute - but... no sales for it.

So in an experiment to see if it's the price or the actual content which is failing to entice potential customers, I'm dropping the price from $40 to $20 for this week.

It's a nice big long tute (four and a half hours) covering everything from texturing to modelling to styling. If it sounds like the sort of thing that you might be interested in, pop along to the site and check out the low poly hair page for more details.

Cheers,
Simon O

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I think you have a number of things going against you here, but the biggest is that you're using software like Gimp and Inkscape.

To be 100% honest, nobody that actually has production work to do uses those programs. Gimp is a badly laid-out, non-standard, hacky piece of shit and I've only ever heard of Inkscape when people are talking about low-cost or free alternatives to Illustrator.

There are other problems, and that has to do with the content. While the hair tutorial may produce some decent results, the screenshots show stuff that's very unimpressive both technically and artistically. One of the things that gets people excited to see video tutorials is the chance to see how some artist has made a really cool model, painting, or anything else. The thumbnails and screenshots show stuff that may be technically competent (or even very good), but is unappealing on an artistic level.

Finally, one more strike against you is that there are already large, well-established tutorial sites such as Eat3D that deliver high-quality content for reasonable prices and the content is made by well-known names in the industry. They also do things like contests and large promotions, and they have an established back catalog of tutorials and instruction - often with lengthy free samples. The bar is set extremely high, so you have to reach that bar and rise above it to succeed.
  • GKWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to also mention you could probably achieve 90% of the result with free tutorials from google, a bit of knowledge and experimentation.
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the feedback guys, the response (or lack thereof) I've had certainly does seem to support the comments you've made. I think swizzles point about the lack of wow factor in the sample media is probably the biggest problem.

I'm not particularly strong on an artistic level - it's no secret ;) - I just like showing people how to do stuff. But it looks like I need to focus on building my skills up a bunch more before spitting out more tutes...

Cheers,
    Simon O