Home Unreal Engine

Assigning UV channels

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
Otw0u.png

I've heard stories of using rectangular maps in UDK but I have no idea where to allow that. Some say it's within the FBX export options while others say it's in the texture coordinate node, but I just can't seem to get UDK (or maya, for that matter) to read a map that isn't within the 0-1 range.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    scale it on the U or V depending on how you want your texture space laid out, so it all fits in the 0 to 1, than just use a 2by1 texture. nothign special
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm 2by1 makes a lot of sense, I think. Would it be possible to bake normals onto a map like this, or would softwares like xNormal and May always ONLY read the 0-1 range?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olny the 0 to 1 space is rendered, while baking programes like xnormal stretch that space across the texture size.

so crush things on a axis so it all fits in the 0 to 1 space than in your baking app, use a texture size like 2048x1024.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man you were absolutely right about that! and now i'm crazy excited about this. but
    of course it's not perfect for me :/

is there a way to squish it vertically by exactly 50% from a point? right now i'm just lining up UVs with present textures, which seems a pretty inefficient way to do things (but i also screwed things up pretty bad my first go around)

Gw1MO.jpg
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i forget how to do it in stock maya, but if you got the UV deluxe script, on the sidebar, there is the scale section, which has buttons for .5x and 2x scale, and lets you set the pivot to a corner of the 0 to 1 space.

i would assume you could also just hold d place the manipulator in the corner of the uv space, and use the translation type in the top right corner of your maya window too.

here is the script.
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/texturing/c/uvdeluxe

for doing what you want i just set the scaler part to custom UV, Post U=1 v=0, and hit .5 on width, and it does the job.

there are lots of other usefull things in this script too, like a tool fot straighten edges, and stacking uv shells.